3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AWESOME EVENING!! (Story and Pics added)  (Read 1078 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
AWESOME EVENING!! (Story and Pics added)
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Hey guys, I will have the story and pictures this evening, But I will leave you with this....    :goldtooth:   Talk to you soon, SS.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AWESOME EVENING!! (Story and Pics added)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Looks good so far...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
It's a good start..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Looking forward to it!  I think congratulations are in order!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline malcom.f

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Congratulations from Ohio, Cant wait to hear the rest.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
It's a dandy! Just sayin'.....

He put a big buck down for the 3rd straight year with trad equipment!!!!

I got the pictures, but I ain't sharing!

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Duane, a good friend of mine is slowly getting into trad hunting. He has been shooting for months with me and has been doing very well. He had already killed a buck this year with his compound and we decided to go on a hunt for a doe for him.  
We were hunting an area I had scouted very well. It was a large bean field with a small patch of brush growing out into the middle of the field. The deer were funneling through this brush and I thought it would be the perfect place for an unsuspecting doe to wander through and give Duane a good shot opportunity.

We headed out around 4pm and made our way to the far corner of the field. On our way in we spotted a large flock of hen turkeys in the beans. They left and we snuck into position. We were 10 yards inside the wood line, tucked into some gnarly trees.

I set up 15 yards above Duane, where I would have a good view of what I expected to unfold before us. I expected to have groups of does come through the funnel around 5:30 to 6pm. They would give Duane a 15 yard broadside shot, which he would be able to make easily. This is what I planned would happen, but I was wrong…

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Lol   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Our first action was a doe and fawn at 5:15. They came out on the other side of the field, but only stayed for a few minutes before they got spooked and left. Duane and I looked at each other with puzzled looks; there was nothing in the field and we had a perfect wind.

It was then that we spotted dark shapes coming out of the woods below us. 6 Gobblers including 2 monster long beards came out into the field. I immediately grabbed my turkey call and started working some purrs.

Within minutes the toms were interested, they all ran towards us in a hurry. We readied ourselves for the shot. The birds caught movement of Duane’s bow move and they spooked. They came back out again, but eventually left the field without presenting us with a shot.

A short time later the does started pouring into the field. Before I knew it there were 7 does working through the beans. Two stood above me 50 yards away, while a group of 3 moved towards the funnel. It was looking like my plan was about to unfold.

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Out of nowhere a spike buck came running through and scattered the deer like a covey of quails. Duane’s opportunity was lost as the deer ran in all directions. The buck was intent on chasing the does, but they wanted none of that. Than a much bigger buck came strolling out, and he joined in the chase. The big buck spooked a yearling doe towards me, the doe stopping 10 yards away.  

Now I should mention that I was not planning on shooting anything tonight, and I had not dressed for the cause. I had left my leafy ghillie suit at home, instead wearing a simply brown plaid jacket with my ghillie hat.

The yearling looked at me for a few minutes, trying to figure out what I was. After no movement on my behalf, the doe forgot about me and went about feeding in front of me. The buck made his way towards me. I looked him over in my binoculars; he was a very nice large buck. But with one more year he would be a true stud. With that, I gave him a pass.

It was now getting pretty late in the evening. I had figured our chances at a doe were slim. The remaining does in the field had moved up above us, completely bypassing our funnel. It was then that I caught movement on top of the hill…

I raised my binoculars to see a big buck moving though the field. I could not tell how big he was, but could see he was as wide as his ears and had a very heavy body. I decided to give it a go. I pulled out my flextone call and gave the buck two series of grunts followed with a snort wheeze. The buck made quick work cutting the distance between us in half, but then he started checking a doe out.

My second series of grunts with a snort wheeze completely changed his mind. He immediately charged towards me, covering the 50 yards that divided us in mere seconds. I had a very pissed off buck standing 10 yards in front of me before I could even realize what had happened. He was scanning for me, trying to find where the buck that challenged him was. He started pawing the ground like a bull, than went on to destroy a bush with his antlers.

I was absolutely awe stuck, and honestly quite terrified! I tried to hide behind my bow; which was the only defense between me and this large angered buck. Two times the buck locked on to me, but I just sat there motionless. Finally he turned broadside and started towards my opening. Just as he started to walk his raised his head into the sky line; I could see he had a bunch of points coming off his base. With that, I decided I would try to take him..

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Oh yeah!!    :campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
Cool reading..

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
Great story so far....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Hurry up SS I got to go to bed!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
This will definitely be good   :archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
This is getting good!

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I raised my bow as he walked behind a tree. I put tension on the string and readied myself. My foot shuffled on a leaf and the buck stopped and looked at me again. I froze at ¼ draw, waiting for my chance. The buck walked forward into my opening, slightly quartering to me as he made his way into the woods with me. I drew back and focused on my walking target as it moved through the opening.
I would guess I had held my anchor for maybe a second before the arrow was on its way. My bow was quiet and my arrow swift and true. The arrow blew through the deer without it ever knowing what happened. The deer made a few strides back into the field and stood there. I grabbed my binoculars and watched. It stood there with its head down, obviously hit hard. After standing for awhile it stiffly walked 10 steps and bedded down right in the field. I quietly snuck over to Duane to assess the situation.

Two more big bodied bucks moved through the full moon lite field as Duane and I talked over what had happened. He could not believe what he had just witnessed. We were both stoked about the event. It was hard to comprehend that I had just gone face to face with a big mad buck. I realized than what an amazing event I had just encountered.
We watched the buck and saw that his head was down and he had not moved for quite some time. I wanted to back out for several hours, but Duane was quite convinced the deer was long dead. With that we decided to slowly approach the deer with bows ready. Our bows were not needed, as he was quite dead indeed. It was then that I finally got to see just what he was. His one side was a regular 5 point side. The other was a crazy heavy beam with small points and the start of a 3rd beam coming out of its brow tine. This 3rd beam flowered into 3 points at the top. With that it made 13 points total, and it was by far the most character laden buck I have ever shot. His body was huge and he was without question a mature buck.

I had wondered why he had stood so long in the field before going down, as I felt I had made a perfect shot behind the shoulder. Upon autopsy we found that the shot had been more quartering to me than I had realized. I had hit the bottom of one lung and solidly into the liver. I silently said a prayer, thanking the Lord for the amazing night he had gifted to us.

We field dressed the buck and picked him up with the car. On the way home I started to have second thoughts. The rut was just starting and I would likely have chances at better deer. Had I made the right decision? I hung him up in the barn and went to bed. It was a late night and I was exhausted.

This morning I woke up and decided to get some pictures of the buck before I skinned it and took it to the processor to be made into bologna and hot dogs. As I walked into the barn I got my first day time glimpse of the buck. He was much better than I had realized the night before. He was very thick with very heavy mass and awesome points and character.

It wasn’t until than that I realized what I beautiful buck I had harvested. I instantly said a prayer, praying my sorrow for my doubts the night before and thanking the lord for such a beautiful animal he had gifted me. I prayed not only the animal, but the ability for us to enjoy Gods County, watching the wild life or a beautiful morning sunrise. I gave thanks for such great times we get to spend with our friends and families. Don’t ever forget just how truly blessed we are. It all started as a deer hunt, but it ended as so much more….. God Bless, SS

My equipment:  58# super Kodiak with an axis 340 arrow and 200 grain Grizzly single bevel. This is my first big game harvest with a grizzly and I am really loving them.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Wow! Congrats to you! Great buck!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
We done Taylor, beautiful buck and a blessed harvest.

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
That is a pure toad , Very well done sir....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©