3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let Someone Know  (Read 488 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Let Someone Know
« on: October 26, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
If you go out alone, let someone know where you are. Or as close as possible. I had a bout with vertigo about 18 feet up a tree tonight right at ending light. Thankfully I have cell service where I was. I called my son-in-law and got no answer. I called my wife and let her know what was happening and to look for a call every 10 minutes or so until I got back to the truck. The climb down took a bit of work. I had to leave my treestand out on public land. I'll try to go back tomorrow to get it.

I had shown my son-in-law exactly where I was headed on a topo map earlier in the day which made me feel beter about the situation. Walking out of the woods by flashlight while staggering was a task, to say the least. If anyone saw my exit they'd swear I was drunk.

The worst thing about it was I saw a deer nearby about the same time I was battling it, about 20 minutes before legal shooting time expired. I grunted and it changed course and headed my way. I think it circled me and got downwind. By the time I was about ten feet from the ground it got back around and blew me from about 20 yards downwind.

I live only 1.5 miles from the gamelands I was hunting so the drive home was easy and s-l-o-w.

Vertigo sux.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let Someone Know
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
Brutha.... you might want to seriously think about staying on the ground to hunt... You can also set up a GPS tracking software on your computer so your wife knows EXACTLY where you are hunting. if something goes wrong, she could give search and rescue GPS coordinates, or to your son in law for that matter.... we got the technology... why not use it....... The coyotes hate it though...

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
My Dad has a tree stand, and I climbed up it once to see what it was like.  I have worked off of ladders quite a bit, and know that I start getting dizzy at +/- 12 feet.  The tree stand was at 16.  I figured it would be impossible to work my bow with my feet, as my hands were stuck to the guard rail.  I cashed in my cabelas point and got a pop up ground blind.  Vertigo does not suck, however; it keeps me from doing something foolish.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
I suffer from vertigo also.
After years of hunting 20-30 ft high, I'm a ground pounder now.
If you haven't tried it yet, over the counter Meclizine HCL 25 mg works really well. They're travel sickness pills. 100 tabs for $6.00.
Be careful.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline Crested Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:14:00 AM »
Never a bad idea to let someone know when to expect you back no matter the circumstances! anything can happen out there when your by yourself toting sharp sticks around.
Feathers are friends!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:56:00 AM »
yeah good idea and also give your wife or friends a list of phone numbers of the people you sometimes hunt with or who maybe just come out to help drag,,,  a lot of times they will know where you are and how to get in there.  my wife has never met a lot of the people I bump into when out hunting.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
Glad you got down and home safely!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »
Good tip Kirkll! Glad u r ok Bud!

(SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger) $140 is cheap in a bad situation.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
I screenshot my location including GPS coordinates every time I hunt and send them to my daughter.......she has demanded that I let her know where I am in case something goes wrong.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
While in Colorado this fall, a fellow hunter didn't return from an evening hunt. Luckily one of his hunting partners knew where he was hunting.  He went to check on him, and found him deceased. He was setting at the base of the tree.

Its always a good idea to let someone know where your going to be.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
I started telling my wife where I am hunting when I don't hunt near home. My son knows basically all the places, they are all nicknamed of course. Camp, Old Camp, Dummy Camp, Green Gate, Goose Ponds, American Flag, Chimney Corners
He would have to take her to them but they would probably get me before the coyotes. Glad you made it down. That is nothing to fool with in the dark.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
Dang Bud, I hate to hear that. Glad you are ok! I have the find friends app on my phone and my wife and kids can see where I am whenever and whatever I am doing. I was in the woods in a stand on the KennyM lease and my wife could pinpoint my location back in Texas.  I also let her know where I'll be hunting before I leave the house...
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Look into the "Epley Maneuver" as treatment to cure vertigo. I had it so bad I couldn't get out of a chair, having the Epley Maneuver at an ENT's office fixed me.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
The last bout this bad was 4/24/2011. After many doctor visits they never could figure out why it happened. This one was not as bad, thankfully.

Thanks for the kind words and tips, all. I'm doing much better today. I had hoped to hunt hard these last four days of archery season here in NC Central, but this and rain is not going to allow that. Once the thundersticks (BP) hit the woods on the gamelands, I try to stay away from them and hunt my father's land.
I have two natural ground blind locations there, so I can hunt one or the other depending on wind direction. Ironically, my mom called while I was climbing down. I didn't answer but called her back later. She said an 8 pointer was in the edge of their woods behind the house, which is about 20 yards from my blinds.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
I just tried Huntrfdk'S suggestion while sitting in my tree - works great!  Love that idea and will use it anytime someone doesn't know where I will be.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Glad you made it home without severe problems. It is now time to study up on brush blinds. I always try to let some of my family know where I am hunting. Since I hunt my own property, my sun knows where each of my stands is located.
Sam

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
can someone explain how to do a screen shot with gps coordinates on a phone.  Thanks
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
My wonderful wife accompanied me back to retrieve the treestand. It was raining when we pulled into the parking area for the GL. She asked if I had an extra hat. I gave her my tradgang.com short brimmed hat to wear. Wish I'd have taken a pic. A bow and a back quiver would have done me in had she worn them, too. She was wearing her red plaid jacket.

I have a great wife.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by NC BowBender:
If you haven't tried it yet, over the counter Meclizine HCL 25 mg works really well. They're travel sickness pills. 100 tabs for $6.00.
Be careful.
This is standard first line treatment in the ER. Glad you made it out safely.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Bud, Sorry to hear about that. I've been there. Take Dramamine or Meclazine with you and take one well before climbing up in a tree, about 1 hour. It worked really well for me. Hope this helps.

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©