3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Shrewhaven  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back from Shrewhaven
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
I got back from camp Shrewhaven the other day, drove all day in the rain. I put on 1000 plus miles on Old Blackie my 2002 Chevy Diesel. We went to camp a little earlier this year, usually it's the 1st week in November but the guys wanted to try middle October this year. As it turned out several of them couldn't make it for one reason or another. We had a good time but sure missed the wood and water toters and the dish washers LOL.

We had a celebration this year because it was my 60th year bow hunting deer with a bow, traditional bow I might add, I've never owned a compound.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Shrewhaven
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
My friends Randy and Cindy who are man and wife of Northwoods Outfitters in Iron Mountain made the cake and certificate and surprised me with it one evening at supper.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Congratulations on 60 years Ron!  Wishing you many more to come.

Stories from camp please...   :campfire:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Great Ron, 60years is awesome. I started at 12yrs old but I had a break of about 20years. After a motor cycle wreck at 37, The Docs told me I would never shoot a bow again. They were wrong I have been shooting and hunting again for 10 years. At the suggestion of my friend Doug Campbell. Been great.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Congrats, Ron. Any hunting stories to share?
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
That's pretty cool, Ron!

Since I did not get started in archery till I was 25, I don't know if I'll make 60! I'm sure I won't make 60 with trad gear!

Congrats, and I hope you can have 60 more!

Bisch

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
One of my favorite threads every year
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
The deer are down in the U P this year because of two bad winters back to back. Bow hunters aren't allowed to shoots does this year and bucks have to be at least three points on a side. Having said that a couple bucks were taken, this 7pt was shot by Ken Huven our camp caretaker. He was using a Shrew Samurai, 57#@ 28"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
This buck was taken by Cindy Gustafson, Randy's wife with her Shrew Lil' Favorite, 46#@ 28". Cindy has accounted for five bucks and six does with her L F, she loves that bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Here's some of the crew this year. If you don't recognize the guy on the right that's my grandson Jordan, this is his first year in camp and his first ever bow hunt. Kind of neat that it was his first and my 60th

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
way cool man! nice bucks.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Congrats Ron.  Looking forward to hearing more about the week
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :archer:

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Congrats Ron!
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
I cooked a neck roast from Kens buck and this is what was left of it. Along with potatoes and onions it was declared the best meal of the week by Chef Nicolaou.

In camp we have a big 12" cast iron pan that has a cast iron cover, it's what I usually do the squirrels in. I seasoned the meat with salt pepper and garlic. Then I browned in on top of the stove in bacon grease. I added onions and a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, then added a little chicken stock to keep it from drying out, put on the cover and put in the oven at 275 degrees for 3.5 hr's. Then I added the potatoes and cooked them on top of the stove for another 40 minutes. Neck roast is mighty tasty

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Here's some of the crew this year. If you don't recognize the guy on the right that's my grandson Jordan, this is his first year in camp and his first ever bow hunt. Kind of neat that it was his first and my 60th

That's way beyond "kind of neat," Ron! That is plum awesome! I took too long of a hiatus from bow hunting to make 60 years of it, but I do hope to be around to see my grandkids bow hunt. My 10 year old granddaughter has been shooting, albeit with a compound, but not hunting yet. My eldest grandson is only 7, but I've got him shooting a little solid glass longbow. He started with a little lemonwood recurve that I got when I was about 8. Amazingly it survived my kids to be used by my grandkids, especially when you consider number one son left it out in the yard in the rain for a few days.      :(  

I'm sure the time spent at Shrewhaven was wonderful no matter how many deer were killed or not killed.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
Even those left overs look good !  

Did you see many deer ?  I am running up to the Escanaba area in a couple days.  Not sure if I will buy a tag this year or not.

Congrat's on that 60.  

This is my 60th year of being on this earth, which I thought was an achievement !
ChuckC

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Very cool!  One of these days I want to attend a camp full of trad-hunters.

I've always been a solo, weekend-warrior kind of hunter.. by circumstance.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©