3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Shrewhaven  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Shrewhaven
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Some years it's beautiful and sunny and others we've got snow.  Here was a warm sunny year with the 'vintage Bear recurve' bow rack (Shrews rule, but we're traditional archers and sometimes we like messin' with other bows):

And of course when mother nature in Michigan's upper peninsula decides to make things interesting....well the landscape takes on a different look:

But, that can mean the deer are easier to see and pattern and end up on our special deer hanging rafter outside Lobo's Lair:

Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
favorite thread every year

congrats Ron, 60 years quite an achievement, heck thats my age come to think of it.

Too bad all could not make it this year.

Fine hunting in tough times.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
A look at both cabins, the small one is "Lobo's Lair" where the old gray wolf sleeps.    ;)  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Great story Ron and others from Shrewhaven, and congrats Ron on 60 years!

I thought if I ever was to have the chance I would love to get a picture with you, you are a piece of history   :thumbsup:

Sometimes we take for granted what we have because we become to familiar with each other.

Ray and the rest of you boys take note of what you have and count your blessings!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
"The Throne", the fanciest outhouse in the north woods, built by Big Eric and Tim Cosgrove.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
Chef Nicolaou preparing another fine meal

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Roger Norris entertaining the guy's one evening

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
A view of a corner inside the cabin, note the hardwood floors. The cabins walls are tamarack logs, so hard you can't drive a nail in them. It was built in 1936 (the year I was born) by the CCC

Formed in March 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps, CCC, was one of the first New Deal programs. It was a public works project intended to promote environmental conservation and to build good citizens through vigorous, disciplined outdoor labor. Close to the heart of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the CCC combined his interests in conservation and universal service for youth. He believed that this civilian “tree army” would relieve the rural unemployed and keep youth “off the city street corners.”  

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I look foreward to this thread every year. Congratulations Ron on your 60th trad season, hope you have many, many more!  :campfire:  

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
As usual Shrew Haven is an entertaining adventure even though we don't get to actually go there.  Love the 'Throne'...looks like the original tiny house, lol.  And there's Roger's pink n' purple dancing outfit.  Meeeeyow!  So what are ya' doin' this friday night, Roger?     :laughing:

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:

Ray and the rest of you boys take note of what you have and count your blessings!
Shrewhaven is never taken for granted. At over 20 years now, it's sacred.  All the guys in camp are true pleasures to share camp with. Now that we have a new 'mule' in camp, I won't have to worry as much about dragging deer out of some hellacious places because I was considered one of the camp mules.     ;)  

I've used a full body safety harness for about 7 years now, however I have an old, around the waist safety belt with a single rope strap that has a clip on the end that I've used since my first years in camp to drag deer out with.  That belt has probably helped me drag 100 plus deer over the years between mine at camp and at home as well as the other camp members while at camp. I'm looking forward to getting that back of that Kawasaki Mule bloody next year at camp!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Roger Norris entertaining the guy's one evening

Is this a new Asbell Wool Patern!?!?!?!?

Whats it called, "Midnight Dancer"?

:laughing:      :laughing:    :laughing:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Congratulations Ron on a great run. I am on 54 years bow hunting now. Looking forward to your 70 year cake.   :clapper:
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
This is one of my favorite threads too, always love to read the stories about the hunting and hijinks that go on.  Glad to here there's still a few deer running up there in the north woods.  Congrats Ron on 60 years bow hunting, and year one with your grandson, I hope the two of you have many more to spend together at your little piece of heaven on earth.  God Bless and shoot straight.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
!955 is the year I started bow hunting for deer with my new 55 Bear Kodiak.

I was bitten by the archery bug at an early age

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
That's so cool Ron! Congratulations on 60 years!

Kenny     :shaka:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Ron, Congratulating! God blesses you!
If I did not live so far from you away, it would be a dream a round curve to shoot with them!
Best regards from Salzburg / Austria
Bertl
Black Widow Bow's

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
1947?!

How danged old are you RON?    :saywhat:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
Dang I'm pretty   :biglaugh:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell