3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do you hunt with a recurve  (Read 854 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Why do you hunt with a recurve
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I have asked why people choose to hunt with long bows, but I have never asked why about recurves. I know it's a personal preference, and I want to hear why it's a preference? Faster?, More powerful? like the looks? Me? I just started with a recurve because I was told they were easier to learn on, but i have no evidence of that.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do you hunt with a recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
When I started, early 1960s the longbow was thought to be inferior to a recurve. Recurves were shorter, said to be faster, smoother etc.  The longbows back then were not anything like most of the ones we have today.  So if the marketing hype back then was correct it certainly doesn't apply today.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Being a Bear Archery fan and I started my hunting adventures years ago with a recurve I guess I am sentimentaly attracted to the curvey looks and feel of the recurve. However like Jess stated longbows of today are a lot different now than in the late 60's early 70's, as I own several longbow's now.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
when i converted from compound to recurve in 1992..it was because that is all I knew, Mr Owen Jeffery was in the next town over and made great bows...and also the grip was MORE familiar to me coming from training wheels.

that being said I enjoy all trad bows...I have a small collection of longbows, recurves and selfbows...some new some vintage.  I love them all and just pick one for each major hunting season and rotate through some of them that way.  I do love the light in the hand feel of a nice self or longbow when stalking or humping a pack all day long...and love the feel of shooting a longbow more...but I could not choose between them if asked.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline malcom.f

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Personally I like the extra weight in the handle I shoot better. With that being said the new takedown longbows have changed that, But for me their is something about the looks of a recurve I cant resist.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I started shooting bows, about the time I could walk. My Grandfather was a Penobscott Indian, and used to make my bows and arrows out of thin saplings found around the house. My 1st REAL Bow, was a Bear "Red Bear" recurve, that I got when I was around 6yrs old. When I was about 9yrs old, I saw Howard Hill on TV. The local Sports Store had a Ben Pearson Longbow "set" that I just HAD to have!!! I begged & pleaded with my Dad... Oh the promises I must have made!!!!! He talked to the owner... It had been around for a while... Nobody seemed interested... He gave Dad a deal!!! It was WAY too heavy for me, but I finally managed to get it to full draw and actually able to hit what I was shooting at!!!

About 1970, good laminated recurves were REALLY starting to hit the stores. I young boy with hard earned money, could finally own a REAL Bow!!!!! I started Bowhunting in 1976 with a 50# Bear Alaskan & cedar arrows, tipped with Bear Razorheads. I hunted with that bow,(although I had many others) until I bought my 1st compound in the early 1980's and I had ALOT of them!!! I had drank the Koolaid... But it left a bad taste in my mouth!!! I saw the writing on the wall... Newer, Better, Faster, Need a "New" bow every year...??? I could find LOTS of old recurves around, but I couldn't find strings for them..... So, I gave up Bowhunting.

About 1997, I met my Good Friend & Fellow TradGanger, Joe Skipp!!! I went over to Joe's shop & bought a 55# 1967 Kodiak Magnum..... Suddenly, I was 16yrs old again!!!!! The rest, is history...

Why do I shoot a recurve...??? It just feels RIGHT!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Grip is more consistent for me, also like a shorter bow for tree stand and still hunting, most recurves are cut past center allowing me to shoot a stiffer, heavier arrow, I like a little more mass weight in the bow and shoot with a bow quiver attached, just mostly preference I guess you get use to what you use the most.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
You know Joe Skipp Woodchucker? I feel sorry for you.    :biglaugh:   Only kidding of course. Joe is a great guy. Met him a few years ago through a mutual friend, Bamboo, and have hunted with him a few times. Knows his stuff. As for why I shoot a recurve-I too like the looks of them. But I also shoot longbows. Haven't yet decided which I prefer. They're all fun to shoot.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
It's what got me started shooting traditional.  I mainly shoot a longbow now but my favorite bow is a very hybrid take down longbow that the riser is more of a recurve riser which I like. I prefer more mass weight in the riser than most longbows have.

Gabe

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I like the mass weight. I've owned Hills and R/D longbows, but the recurve just feels better in my hand.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
I hunt with a recurve on the days I am not hunting with a longbow...I pretty much regard them as interchangeable, especially my RER LXR where all I have to do it swap limbs

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I went with one instead of a longbow just because it is what I shot as a teen.
SWA Spyder

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
For me it was seeing those old Fred Bear movies as a kid. I had no mentors, so it was just natural for me to pick up a recurve bow like ol' Fred.
I like the lines of a recurve and the 1950's style bows carry and shoot like a dream.
To sum it up, nostalgia and looks.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
I do love my Great Northern 50's style Super Ghost
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Because I love my Silvertips. Used to shoot only longbows when I was younger at 72-80# but have dropped in weight,55-60#, can still pull 80 but do not want to at my age, and can control my shot better with a recurve, still have one longbow, a Cari-Bow Silver Fox that I also shoot and love.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Recurves always caught my eye. I just get that kid in a toy store feeling when I see one. Love shooting longbows ect, but the recurve has always been my favorite.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Recurves because they perform so well.  Shorter bow easy to hunt with.  They are just beautiful and curvy... Like a woman!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
To me its all looks...I like the curves of a recurve. I started out with a longbow.  I think they are about comparable to a good reflex reflex longbow in shootability and speed. Longbows are generally quieter and can be smoother.

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
When I was a kid my uncle had a recurve in the rafters of my grandparents garage.  One day I talked my mom into letting me shoot it.  Never told my mom the arrows had broad heads, heck didn't even know what a broad head was back then.  Well I just pulled back and tried to see how far I could shoot it.  I was a kid after all.  Yea...well I shot it...ended up putting an arrow right between two parked cars, thank god I didn't hit one.  Been in love with them ever since.  Love the curves of a recurve they just have them in all the right places.  I will try a longbow but first I want to buy my dream recurve, time to start saving.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Aesthetics of curved limb tips anymore mass in the riser. Also, the reason I'm attracted to recurves (or longbows) at all is nostalgia -- it is how I started in the late 60's.

I won't even pick up a LB for fear I might like em.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©