3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Need A Hunting Quiver Suggestion  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
I Need A Hunting Quiver Suggestion
« on: October 30, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
First, I am a returning newbie to shooting a traditional bow since I bought my first compound over 30 years ago.

I do not like bow mounted quivers.  In fact many times I attach my Kwikee Kwiver to my pack when practical or take it off my bow as soon as I get into my stand.

My goal is to find a pack that I can carry on or across my back when spot and stalk or still hunting or attach to my pack if I'm carrying one.

I see the Howard Hill style quivers and they look very nice but first, how is it to still hunt, spot and stalk, and work one's way through thickets and underbrush with arrows above one's shoulder?

Secondly, what protects the arrow heads from banging against each other in the bottom of the quiver and becoming nicked and dull?

I am open to suggestions as I'm sure there are others here who have already gone where I am heading and have this figured out.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Need A Hunting Quiver Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Using a back quiver to hunt with, is a learning experience... It is certainly not "hard" or "complicated" by any means, actually it's quite FUN!!!!!    :archer:  

I have hunted with a back quiver for many years starting in 1976. I switch around to different quivers from time to time, but over all, my back quiver gets the most use over the coarse of a year. This year, I bought 2 new quivers from Howard Hill Archery for my son Tyler & I. I bought the heavy leather ones & they are not quite "broken in" yet. They also make a softer model, that requires little or no "break in"...

I good back quiver, will conform to your back, flattening in the middle. This will eliminate any rattle of broadheads or arrows, and once well broken in... You'll be able to bend over & pick up a quarter off the floor without the arrows falling out!!! Going through brush, you learn to walk "sideways" (not as hard as it sounds LOL) with the arrows trailing behind you. Basicly you just just lead with your bow... The rest of your body follows. If you get into REALLY thick cover... Slide the quiver horizontal under your bow arm & crawl. AS for the "fit" and "angle" of the quiver... I prefer mine to fit alittle loose. I don't like it tight acrossed my chest, and I like room for extra clothing if needed. The quiver will hang lower on your back, and the  fletching will not be "behind your ear" but rather down behind your shoulder... Most folks response to this is, "but I can't reach my arrows"??? The answer to this, is the "Back Quiver Bump"!!!

My youngest son Tyler started shooting with an old tube quiver, turned into a back quiver when he was 3yrs old. For his 4th birthday, I got a Wyondotte youth quiver kit, built & gave it to him. By age 5, he had a back quiver bump, that put most older archers to shame!!!!! Basicly, It goes like this... You take a shot, and you miss, needing a quick 2nd shot. You take your bow arm elbow back to the bottom of the quiver and push it up and acrossed your back, bringing the feathers up between your head & shoulder, allowing you to easily reach the nock of another arrow... With a well adjusted & broken in back quiver, and PRACTICE, this can be done VERY quickly!!!!!

When I start anyone into Traditional Archery... I loan them a Bow, Arrows, and an old broken in back quiver that I have. I also suggest that for their FIRST quiver... They get a good back quiver. They will get plenty of use out of it over the years between target, 3D, stumping, and yes... Hunting!!!

Good Luck!!!!! Woodchucker
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks so much not only for the recommendation but especially the explanation and insight.  

I looked at the HH site and their prices seem to be in line with other brands, at least at first glance.  

I noticed the quiver comes in three levels of leather from very heavy, to stiff, to softer.  Which did you purchase?

Secondly, do you purchase broadhead covers to protect your broadheads when they are in the quiver?

My research now has my initial decision narrowed down to the HH style and the Safari Tuff Arrowmaster.

Both seem to have some advantages and both approximately the same price but slightly different applications.

Again thanks

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
I think that there is NO perfect quiver.  

There are several styles that are really good, for some things, and each has its issues.  So,  like your tool kit, you have 1/2" wrenches and 1/4" wrenches and 1" wrenches for a reason.  

Have one of each ( quiver styles) and learn how and when to use them.
ChuckC

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Boy I bounce around a lot on this subject.
But I really like an open type back quiver (like a cat type or a high noon)
I am in the process of making a high noon type quiver for small game hunting.
Slickhead

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
No perfect quiver is correct and everyone has a different need or desire.  Here is my two cents for what it is worth.

I started with GN strap on...like them but did not like them on bow though still use them sometimes....just not my preference.

The quiver I have been using since 1992/1993 is a heavy latigo leather Lakota styled side quiver with shearling collar and a neck that can be left extended for full arrow protection or folded back for ease of use.  It is still going strong and with an extra piece of leather put on the end...has served me very well.  My only complaint is I can only use 2 blade broadheads in it...and sometimes I liked to use Snuffers and now Instincts.

After a few years of contemplating another style I first saw from Ted Fry (Raptor Archery) I ordered a Side Stalker from Steve Catts.  Yep it is a bit expensive...but is made from VERY heavy leather...the workmanship is of the highest standard...and it gave me what I wanted.  I can carry both 2 and 3 blade arrows...plus small game heads like judo, hex, etc...all at same time.  It has a cover for rain but still allows drawing when stalking with low movement.

Here it is with my selfbow and the collar turned down for easier access...when folded up the collar is inside to quieten arrows and protect from brush or rain.

Here is my one from Steve Catts....more capacity, more flexibility with three bladed or judo points...good protection from brush and weather...and I draw through the portal in quiver.

I have a nearly brand new back quiver that I got from Rob DiStefano years ago....great quiver as well but typically only use it for roving or small game where I need lots of arrows...now it is an intermediate holder of arrows that are somewhere between storage and being used...haha
Many love back quivers...I just have not given this enough use to break it in after all these years and want to use it more than my side quivers.   Good luck...

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
I'm in the process of making my own. Something that can strap to a pack. Or Can be worn over the shoulder and sits with the knocks right at level with my shoulder. I used it this season and a few more tweaks and I think I will have one that fits my needs perfectly. I say find one that's close to what you want and customize itnto your needs.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bow+Mate+Elite+Side+Quiver_i6224-01_baseitem.html

I bought this for an elk hunt this year and it was awesome. Not only can I get my arrows out quickly but it's quiet and comfortable also pretty easy to reload without having to take it off.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
I do have one question. With arrows basically loose in a side or back quiver, what keeps the arrowheads from banging and rubbing together creating nicks in the blade edge and dulling the blades?

Brock you stated that you can only use 2 blade broadheads in a side or back quiver.  Why?

Thanks so much.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
Basicly, broadheads are "tapered" and the edges really don't touch that much. That, plus the fact that the quiver flattens against your back, (when broken in) holds the arrows snuggly and also prevents them from hitting each other. I have never used broadhead covers. The Howard Hill back quivers have an extra piece of heavy leather in the bottom, to prevent "poke through" I bought Tyler & I the heavy weight, stiff leather, Hill quivers. They will in time, conform exactly to our backs.  

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
I have had good luck with Safari Tuff quivers.  I had a full size and then went to a bow mount quiver for awhile. I am now using a ST Duiker. It's a little smaller.

I like it cause my fetching is covered from view, and keeps my fletching dry. Always take them off when on a stand.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
I have had good luck with Safari Tuff quivers.  I had a full size and then went to a bow mount quiver for awhile. I am now using a ST Duiker. It's a little smaller.

I like it cause my fetching is covered from view, and keeps my fletching dry. Always take them off when on a stand.
+1.  

Plus, the arrows don't rattle because the broadheads stick into foam in the bottom of the quiver.  Sometimes I stick a sock in the top of the quiver, but I also found out by accident that if you squish in the top so it is more of an oval shape rather than round that also keeps the tops of the arrows from making any noise as you move around.

It is designed to be carried along side of a backpack or knapsack, and works perfectly that way, allowing you easy access to arrows whether you're wearing a knapsack or not.

It has a rainproof cover.

The arrows slide out the side to minimize the movement of removing them from the quiver.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
Another vote for Safari Tuff Arrowmaster! I've tried bow quivers too, but I always seem to come back to this one. I love the pocket. I put my tab, armguard, and whatever else in there, and when I go out to shoot, I just grab this quiver and my bow, and everything I need is there.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I like ,my cat quiver. ....I've been using them for 15+ years.... I always hang it from the tree and it makes it easy to arrows and other stuff out.

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
check out the Mantis quiver Ron Leclair sells..

http://shrewbows.com/shrew_mantis.htm
"Us vs Them"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I was going to hunt with my back quiver this yr. but just to noisy. Yes I can pick up a quarter without losing arrows. That's not my issue mine was drawing an arrow quietly. And fletching makes noise when walking and putting a BH baxk in the quiver is a pain and despite what some say that is where I can see dulling heads.. And too much bs to walk through the thick stuff.
I tried my bow quiver again because I hunt with a climber sometime. But like you I prefer my longbow naked.
I've been using my arrowmaster the majority of the time this yr.
For me it's the best choice for hunting whitetails.

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
http://www.dwyerlongbows.com/quivers/

Dave Dwyer makes one for you to check out.
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
I just made a Hill style back quiver. It conforms to the back right off the bat. I made it with some pretty heavy duty leather, but cut out the sides and stitched in hides from a Springbok so that it would collapse easier. I haven't got to take it out yet, but am looking forward to it. I will take it out this Sunday for a hunt.
 The quiver is in the Finally built a back quiver build along thread. I think you will like the Hill style quivers, I only still hunt. My research led me down the same path of thinking as you, and I will say after I made mine I think it will work great in the woods. I can bend down and grab something, I can shake wildly and the arrows don't even make a sound.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 03:09:00 AM »
cat quiver 3 or 3.5 for me- quiet- protects and keeps fletches dry- and it is safe, with broadheads attached- can carry day gear easily- one quiver/pack that does it all!!   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©