3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: animal that sits in the shadow of its tail  (Read 651 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
animal that sits in the shadow of its tail
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Good article in TBM on the squirrel.
That little guy is the Rodney Dangerfeild of the woods.
But if you've ever hunted him with a bow , you'll learn to respect him more.

I was out yesterday and saw a nice one on the side of a tree
by the time I could nock an arrow his SADD kicked in (Squirrel Attention Deficit Disorder)
and away he went
Makes deer hunting seem easy  ;)
Slickhead

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: animal that sits in the shadow of its tail
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Yes, that was a good article and I agree with his assessment of the lowly squirrel - hunting them with a bow is hard! But it sure is fun and very rewarding. Those little buggers can aggravate the crap out of you when you're trying to hunt other things.

The best story I ever heard about a squirrel getting his just desserts happened to my father. He was sitting in a stand one morning and a young gray squirrel scurried up a hickory sapling about 20 feet away, went out on a limb and commenced a whining at him. It wasn't a full bark, mind you, just that whine they do that really gets under your skin. Anyway...this went on for several minutes when, out of nowhere, a red tail hawk swooped in and scooped that little dude right off his perch! My dad told me he thought to himself, "It sometimes doesn't pay to advertise, does it?"

Darren

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
Good article for sure as was the porcupine article though I don't shoot porkies.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
I liked the article as well. I love hunting squirrels with rimfire and air rifle. I've been trying to get myself to bow hunt them, on purpose, not just while deer hunting for some time.

Have to figure out an economical way to do it -- arrows and terminal end. The article was helpful in that regard as well as entertaining.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Love to squirrel hunt especially with a air rifle,.40 cal muzzy or .32 muzzy, hunt them with bow occasionally but it is a exercise in frustration with a bow.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Crested Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 04:51:00 AM »
I love hunting small game and those little squirrels can give you a lesson in humility real quick with a bow.
Feathers are friends!

Offline N. Idaho Dan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 05:24:00 AM »
It seems every time I purposely hunted squirrel with my bow they just knew it and were always high up. But all deer season they'd be hanging out right in front of me!

I love the challenge, but hate the feeling I get knowing I was outsmarted by a squirrel hahaha.
Xtreme North Idaho Traditional Archers
North Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
60" Toelke Curlew 55# at 28"

Offline Bull Elk

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
One day I watched as two sqs. were scrounging for an acorn in a very large oak that was devoid of leaves.  Yes, a hawk attacked and it was like a cartoon as all three must of hit every limb and branch, trying to escape, and trying to obtain a meal.  I would guess this took place in a minute, when a sq.was comfortable enough to bail out for the ground.  The hawk went after him, missed, and the hawk gave it up, flying away.    Another time, I heard a crash in the leaves and watched as a hawk flew up from the scene, and landed in a tree twenty or so feet away on a limb same height as my stand.  I watched as he pulled apart and ate an entire chipmonk--head, tail, and feet.   Oh what fun we have, while others think we are cuckoo for spending alone time in a tree, while awaiting for whitetail to come along
Jim

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Go far enough back in around here and they let you walk right up to them..within 5 foot and less. Never seen humans.

I don't hunt them with bow due to so rocky around here.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I hate photobucket!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Hunting tree rats is great fun! The last year I hunted them with my 20 I got around 80 squirrels, since then I have managed to consistently snag 3-4 every season. And my season is from May till feb! Lol crafty Devils! Half the time they are moving before the arrow even gets there!

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
I had one today that apparently had never been shot at before. He allowed me to stalk closer and as he reached around to scratch an itch a white patch appeared, I focused drew and promptly missed. He almost allowed another shot but before I could get another arrow on the string he was gone. Oh well, such is hunting. Next time...maybe.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Was ground sitting for deer just inside a tree line when a black squirrel came to me. He walked up a slanting, downed sapling and sat about 2 feet from my knee. He would look at my knee, then look me in the eye. I finally asked him if he really wanted to do that (jump on my knee). At the sound of my voice, you could see the OMG look on his face and he vanished.

Fun moment.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
URL=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/fnshtr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvivmzscy.jpg.html] [/URL]

I was still-hunting yesterday and this fox squirrel hung around too long for his own good. I got 5 shots yesterday, but just gave the others a shave and haircut.

Squirrel gravy over biscuits this week!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
I was out the other day and bagged three squirrels and a cotton tail with my recurve.  The squirrels make long shots at rabbits look easy!  They are small, tough, and fast. I have to keep at it though because squirrel stew is sooooo good!

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
I was out the other day and bagged three squirrels and a cotton tail with my recurve.  The squirrels make long shots at rabbits look easy!  They are small, tough, and fast. I have to keep at it though because squirrel stew is sooooo good!

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
Was out hunting from the ground yesterday. Didn't see a see or turkey, but the squirrels were extremely active. I decided to wait until one was nice and close to shoot but they kept staying just outside my personal boundary line for that. After having a gray on one side and a fox on the other, I slowly eased toward the tree they were favoring. Missed one shot by a yard! From where I picked up my arrow I had another pop out from behind a tree 10 yards away! As I drew he moved to my left. I twisted to the end of my range of motion and released! The arrow went right where I was looking but the squirrel chose to move just at that moment and shot an inch under him! It wasn't a dodge and the squirrel moved off unspooked. It just wasn't his time! It was a great hunt and even if I could have limited out with a gun it wouldn't have been so thrilling! I love this stuff!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
They are frustrating little buggers. I have killed plenty with a bow while NOT hunting them...usually while deer hunting.

I absolutely love hunting them with a .22 . Before October 1st comes around I put in a couple weeks hunting them hard.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Yep....them buggars are tuff!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©