3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: From high to very low, just like that...  (Read 958 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: From high to very low, just like that...
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
I have had this type of situation once, except that I had no appreciable blood trail at all. I found him, but it was a lot of work. I started at the last blood drop and slowly walked a continually widening circle around that spot. I finally walked up on him. At the end, he had changed directions.
Sam

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Any standing water, especially downhill from the shot?

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
I would look for more than 2.5 hours. You said you worked so hard, don't quit now. Good luck.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Any standing water, especially downhill from the shot?

Offline cynical_ant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
I had a similar experience earlier this fall. Shot a doe at close range, but due to me not focusing and looking to see if she was looking at me, I hit her in the shoulder. She ran out of there fast. I watched her run for about 50 yards. Tough track to find blood. Myself and two friends tracked in the dark for two hours, blood trailed stopped. We found the arrow, fully covered in blood, a fair ways from where I shot. It didn't seem like lung blood to me. Deep red, not pink and frothy. Muscle wound. I think the arrow may have defected off the scapula and up through the back, not hitting vitals. If it went through her scapula, and didn't hit vitals, well it just wasn't her time. Went back in the morning with another friend, and my dog, tracked for two more hours. Didn't find anymore blood than the night before. I was discouraged, but stuff happens when hunting. If she dies, or was dead, she is a good meal for the woodland creatures. If she lives, maybe I will see her again. I learned a valuable lesson about focus, and about tracking. Stay positive, you will get another chance, and be successful!
Beauforttrad.com

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
I don't have more time today. I have to teach Sunday school and then church service. i did the best I could with the resources and time that I had. I woke up at 4 am and drove the hour to get there at daylight. and searched until 8:30. Sunday school starts at 10. please don't think I brushed this off, but my service to Jesus supercedes everything else. I did the best I could and I would not say I "quit".
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Keep looking. I double lunged one last year,it took me forever to find her. She didn't make it far,but with no blood I didn't know which direction to go. Keep looking if you got the shot you think you did she's down.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
If at all possible, I would recommend you go out after church with as many helpers as possible to grid search. Even finding a potentially spoiled or unusable animal is resolution. Having help in this case could make all the difference in the world. You can be within feet of a downed animal & miss it... I've been on the giving & receiving side of the help on more than a few "difficult" trails... Some have gone as much as 3/4 miles and taken 12 hours or more... Do your best (only you can decide & live with that), then move forward with that peace.

Edit... Just read your update. Please, understand there is no condemnation in my post. Only encouragement. Your commitment to Christ is admirable & warranted!

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
High one lung hits are the toughest deer to recover by far. I know everyone dreads a gut shot (& rightfully so) but I've had way more success recovering gut shot deer than high hits.

Don't be too hard on yourself brother. That's the nature of this endeavor. Hunt long enough and it will happen

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
well this morning was all I had. we have a church picnic and then celebrating my wife's birthday dinner. I certainly didn't go  afield with the intent of making a bad shot, nobody does..and therefore can't devote the entire following day to look. my day was planned already, I gave 2.5 hours this morning and gave it almost 2 hours last night. I have a lot of experience with trailing deer, I do understand that more help would be better, but I don't have that today. I also don't have the luxury of the entire day to look for her or else I would still be there. trust me I feel bad enough.  I wrestled with bailing on my Sunday school class this morning and stay until about 10 but I just couldn't do that when people count on me and God calls me to serve. thanks to those who encouraged .
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
No disrespect intended at all, but this is exactly why I refuse to hunt in the evening if I don’t have the time to spend looking.  I'm getting ready to go out tonight. ...I have already checked my Monday calendar and decided what I can postpone.

After your obligations are over today maybe you should head back out.  Crows and blue jays might be on her by now.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
no disrespect taken.. however, I guess I would never be able to hunt in the evenings because mon-fri I have a job as a teacher and you can't just call in like a regular job. and I am at church every Sunday for Sunday school and service so that would kill my sat evening hunts.... in fact if you could only hunt evenings when you have the next day free of obligations it would cancel about 95% of all hunters ..believe me if I could I would rearrange my life for hunting but I can't.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
I  hear you..."Time" is a challenge for all of us. I wish you lived up my way, I would be happy to go and look.

The other event that will cause me to not bowhunt is a pending heavy rain storm. I didn't go out last night because there was heavy rain hitting right about sundown. ...it would be just my luck to arrow a deer and have the rain wash away the trail.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
I feel your pain brother.... I've lost animals and it is an awful experience..... keep your chin up and learn from your mistakes.... these are some of the "trials" that the Good Lord gives us.

God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
my 10 year old son just put it in perspective. he said this weekend you are feeding the animals of the woods next weekend you feed us!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
With your explanations of what your other obligations are, there is little more anyone can or possibly, "should" say...

Better luck next time and heed the lessons you say you've learned thru this.

Nothing in nature goes to waste, but that doesn't make anyone in your shoes feel much better.  

Never has me I know...    :banghead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
no I would rather have her in my freezer.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Things go both ways. You can also go from very low to very high. Things change in an instant. I do agree with Roger in regards to time restrictions. If I don't have the time to deal with my actions , I don't hunt. It will all come together. Best wishes.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
more leisure time would be nice, but i have a family that requires me a lot...I have job teaching kids, i have my own kids.all in all, I see my kids or someone's kids for a good part of a 24 hour day...I need every quiet minute I can get in the tree. Be it morning or afternoon...or both. I have never gone into the woods with the thought that I needed the next day free of obligations or even had the luxury of the thought in case i had a bad shot or whatever. It would be nice to be honest...but it's not realistic in my world. I don't know what that makes me as a hunter, but I feel like I did the most/best I could do by myself today.I feel really low tonight, and it will take a few days for me to get my mind right, my confidence is shaken... thanks for everyone's replies.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
no I would rather have her in my freezer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©