3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Buck delimma  (Read 701 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Buck delimma
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
Good luck either way Justin    :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    

Love those quiet spots like anybody else don't get me wrong and it's frustrating at times but we just go with it. Nice to have options though

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
Advantages of driving long distance:  you will actually be inclined to spend 3 solid days or 5 solid days hunting and looking for sign.  

Disadvantage of driving long distance: you will start on your scouting from scratch,

Advantages of staying close to home:  you know the woods better because it's easier to get to and scout.

Disadvantages of staying close to home:  there are always a bazillion reasons, plus four kids, and especially a wife that keeps you out of the woods when you should be hunting/scouting.

I hunted for years close to home for the same reason.  It was terrific because I could take small blocks of time and hunt, thus increasing my exposure.  But, to insure success I also blocked big time periods too. Because you need to know what's going on in the woods at noon, etc. (I'm not big on trail cams - I guess they work okay, but I like being in the woods myself).  

That's my two cents worth.  I wish you success.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
I plan to sit all day during my trip.  I guess I am lucky to have this problem.  I've scheduled to hunt by my house this coming weekend.  Rut sign showing up!
Hill

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Make the drive!!!!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
hunt that private land!

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
Flip a coin and go hunting! But me, I would go the path less traveled.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Hunt the private land for 2-3 days and return home for the last couple of days if by chance the 190 acres is not as active as you wanted.

As far as shooting goes, I own 100 acres in SE Texas and we have some traffic locally (I live on a dead end road.  I don't allow much shooting (guns) on my place but we had a family get together back in June and had a shootout with some paper targets.  Late that evening I was riding my 4 wheeler and exactly where the targets were located, I had a doe cross just in front of me.  I then realized guns and noise is a less distraction than I thought.

Good luck in any case.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
I know when I come to a fork in the road, I take it.   :biglaugh:   Seriously, if you have five days off, I'd do the drive and hunt that piece. If the wife is agreeable of course.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
My wife is 100% supportive and lives with my trad stuff all year long. This is the first time I have really taken the opportunity for a week off. If I could figure out how to post pictures I could post pictures of both a buck by my house and one 180 miles away to add to the indecision....
Hill

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
I've got stands in both locations. Usually I don't hunt either place enough.  Tracy I sure like your feedback.  Everyone else's too.
Hill

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
WOW! Tracey, those are great bucks!

You have some great options Justin, along with great family support.

Which ever you choose, I am sure it will be the right choice, and something amazing might just happen!

chris <><

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
It's time to be in the woods that's for sure no matter were you go Justin. There moving good right now pre-rut does aren't ready but the bucks are and looking for fights and fun if they can find it. Good luck buddy!!!

My son has mastered what I tought him about hunting on small peices of ground and around neighbors even the ones that like to target practice. Shot this buck while he was chasing a doe around early November on a 10 acre peice of ground. New he was around though cam picks and said the neighbor was target practicing when he shot him at 11yds maybe 300yds from his truck.

26 acres, 150yds from land owners door chasing doe early November my stand 14yds

Died within 100yds of the truck 12yds

8yds!

We have lots of little tricks that have worked for us even with outfitters all around are area. Good luck!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
:scared:    :notworthy:    :archer:

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Wow!!!
Hill

Users currently browsing this topic: