3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Nocked Or In Quiver When Still Hunting?  (Read 704 times)

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Nocked Or In Quiver When Still Hunting?
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:34:00 AM »
When still hunting do you have your arrow nocked the entire time or do you keep your arrows quivered until you located the game and begin to set up for the stalk or shot?

I can see the benefits of having the arrow at the ready at all times but it would seem easier to maneuver and less tiresome on the bow hand to not be holding the bow with the arrow on the shelf the entire time.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Nocked Or In Quiver When Still Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Never still hunt with an with a sharp broadhead on it. Any slip or fall could endanger your life.
A guy who lived 3 miles from me died when he slipped and ran a broadhead though himself. Never had time to get help.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
Hadn't even considered this scenario.

I've still hunted with my compound but use a WB which holds the arrow in place but had not thought about the safety issue.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Leave it in quiver...when animal sighted and begin final movement into shooting position or set up then I place an arrow.  Walking through woods with eyes focused on the quarry and not at the trail or obstacles in your path is asking for a fall...and with a sharp broadhead out and uncovered it is dangerous for yourself and anyone else you are following if not alone.  My two cents.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
I have a solo stalker broadhead holder that is attached to the upper limb of my bow. When stalking I hold the arrow in my bow hand with the broadhead in the solo stalker.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I normally carry an arrow loose in my right hand, sometimes I carry it in my left along the riser of the bow.
Guess I should rethink this.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Nocked and on the string ready for a quick shot.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
I have a solo arrow quiver (by Black Widow) on my bows.  It holds a single arrow for me and the rest are in the back or side quiver.  I don't walk around with an arrow on the string.  Too dangerous, too clumsy, and just not the right thing... but looking at pictures of old, it is very traditional !

When I am nearing a potential shot, things change.

For me, the idea of getting off a quick shot just doesn't do it.  I am methodical in my draw and there is no quick shot.
ChuckC

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Yep sharp broad head on the bow while still hunting is an accident waiting to happen. However, I have made little leather sheaths for my broad heads and have carried them in my free hand with the little sheath on.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I believe it depends on your hunting mode, and cover you are in.  Many times when stalking I put the arrow on the string when moving very slowly into ground that I think holds game.  Like when I am approaching some blow downs that have shown to hold pigs in it.  Or Like when coming to the edge of a hill and peeking over.  I put my arrow back in the bow quiver if I am going over, around and or through obstacles.
habujohn

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
I made a BH sheath and carry the arrow and bow together in my bow hand. Only while in a hot area. Otherwise I keep them in my side quiver.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Totally depends on the footing and how fast I am moving.  I had an arrow on the string ready to go last week.  It didn't help me much, as Schulz states in his video, "the bow hand rises slightly faster than the drawing hand."  At that point the arrow is pointed up a little.  At that point in my draw at the buck, I hit my elbow on stick, blew up and lobbed the arrow over the deer, 15 feet away and I blew it. "That second arrow and the ability to get it out of the quiver and onto the the string"  did pay off, the second shot, although considerably longer, was perfectly placed and my buck was down in 80 yards.
It is pheasant season/fall turkey season for me now.  I have a shoot at anything broad head on my bow and I still hunt for pheasant.  If one trips with an arrow the string, the first reaction should be to toss the bow if one is going fall.  Going down with a death grip on the bow could be dangerous.  I think ambling along with an arrow in hand is not much safer than having it on the bow.  while I have never fallen with an arrow in hand, I did cut my bowstring once doing that.

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
Looks like a purchase of some broadhead sheaths is in order.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
If your walking with an arrow nocked and you don't have game in sight, no matter what the flavor of the bow or arrow rest etc etc, your asking for Murphy to show him self and teach you his law! Hopefully you live to learn from it, I was lucky and did!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Broadhead sheaths are very easy to make. Attach one to your top limb just above the riser with an elastic cord and you will always have one with you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
Mixed feelings on this subject. Missed a shot at a real nice buck in Wi. because arrow was in quiver. I remember seeing in an old archery publication about carrying the arrow in your hand with broadhead pointed away from you. If you started to fall the arrow could be thrown clear.
I also look at "still hunting" as a very slow, methodical way of making my way through the woods. It reminds me of looking for booby traps in another time and place. You should be aware of all your surroundings, above you, under your feet, and on all sides. Once the critter is spotted then the stalk begins which means to me I redouble my above efforts to get closer.
I might be over thinking this but it is the way I was trained.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
'Ol man Murphy has a way of showing up at the worst possible time.  This is the only "constant" I can think of besides death and taxes.  Experience is a wonderful teacher, sadly (as one has stated before) it could be the last lesson ever learned.

Even with saying this, I have carried the arrow both ways.  I use the footing and the potential shot opportunity as my guide for what is best at the moment.  Fortunately I have never even come close to an accidental cut with a broadhead while hunting.  I have also not yet spooked a deer while trying to withdraw an arrow from my (side) quiver yet either. However, I also usually err to the safe side of things in most situations.  Getting hurt while trying to have fun, just doesn't make sense to me.  It's all about the thrill of the hunt and not of the kill for me.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
You can see the solo stalker on the top limb of my bow, on the right.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Once it has become a stalk, I tend to get an arrow from the hip quiver and onto the string.
Jim

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
I use a Solo stalker and never remove the arrow until I think I have a shot. If the shot does not happen and I have to move more than a couple of feet the arrow goes back into the quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©