3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Nocked Or In Quiver When Still Hunting?  (Read 703 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Nocked Or In Quiver When Still Hunting?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm not even really comfortable with an arrow on my bow sitting on my lap in the tree stand.  I envision falling and landing on my arrow.  Ugh, can't even imagine.

So no, I wouldn't still hunt with an arrow nocked.  Course, I don't still hunt either.  Just not productive for me.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
In the quiver while still hunting, nocked when stalking.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
At least when the arrow is on the bow it is pointing away, of course we are not doing back flips on a trampoline when there is an arrow on the string and it does make a difference on the type of bow that one is using to make that one finger control more practical.  Here is a catch 22, pheasants are easier to kill with a crappy old Hi Precision 3 blade, (they used to make them here and i get them for free) or a three blade Bodkin than a rubber HTM.  I have taken a bunch with steel blunts and have had a couple skip offs, but on the whole that three blade is more effective.  How does one get the arrow out of the quiver and onto the string before a jumped pheasant is out of sight?

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
I don't run with scissors, but I might walk carefully through the house with them  :wavey:

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
It is okay to run with scissors if you have the old kind that can easily be separated into two parts.  The other old axiom , never shoot an arrow into the air, it may hit someone or something that you don't want to hit.  The bottom lands of Iowa is not exactly a Walmart parking lot.

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Saw a Solo Stalker at Lost Nation Archery.  Are these decent quality and is this a reputable company or any others to recommend.  Thanks

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Lost Nation is a stand-up group and TG sponsors. You can deal with them with perfect confidence.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I keep my arrow in my hip quiver while slinking through the woods, and when an opportunity for a shot develops I nock an arrow. I'm like ChuckC...I'm in no hurry and there is no rushed shots! My 2 cents! Thanks.

Kenny     :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
I still hunt groundhogs with an arrow nocked. Still hunting deer or hogs-depends on the cover, footing, and if I think a shot may be imminent.

I am sure archers have hurt themselves with nocked arrows but for the life of me, I don't see how it's possible. I always carry the bow to the side with arrow pointed down and back. Unless you are holding the bow backwards I just don't see it happening.

Also, a very slow careful still hunting mode would not cause trip/fall accidents. Throw in normal paced walking, snow, mud, stream crossings, etc, etc - now the arrow goes in the quiver.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Well, you'll leave it in the quiver until you get caught with your pants down once or twice. I have an arrow nocked if there's a chance I'll get a shot...I have an arrow nocked and bow in hand the whole time I'm in a stand even.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Back in the days when I still hunted, I carried an arrow on the string. Now that I hunt only from stands, I don't string my bow till I get there. But I do keep an arrow on the string while sitting in the stand.
Sam

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
I've been scared of hip quivers ever since a buddy slipped and stuck an arrow in his calf.  He was being safe by not having an arrow on the string, that did not prevent the arrows from popping out the hip quiver when he fell on a snowy slope, snagging the arrows in the brush as he fell.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
If you don't have time to safely remove an arrow from your quiver and prepare for the shot, it's probably not a good shot.

Stillhunting vs stalking.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
I nock an arrow for the final approach usually just before shooting range. I keep the bow up and in front so all I then have to do is come to full draw. Watch the ground and plan your steps carefully.
The other time I nock an arrow is if I feel the hairs on my neck stand up. You might be surprised how much better your senses work if you start listening them!

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
I have an arrow on the string when still hunting. I move slow and in thick stuff deer can appear and be gone quickly.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I have a solo stalker broadhead holder that is attached to the upper limb of my bow. When stalking I hold the arrow in my bow hand with the broadhead in the solo stalker.
That.  But I have a half of a Selway Piggy-backer to hold the shaft alongside the riser so I don't have to squeeze it.  The rest of the arrows are in a side quiver.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
It all depends on the situation. If you only nock an  arrow when you see a ground squirrel you will never get him. Walking in the woods for deer its in the quiver. Jumping rabbits its nocked. Stalking its nocked. There's other stuff out there besides deer and some of those things do not give you time to nock an arrow.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Thumper Dunker:
It all depends on the situation. If you only nock an  arrow when you see a ground squirrel you will never get him. Walking in the woods for deer its in the quiver. Jumping rabbits its nocked. Stalking its nocked. There's other stuff out there besides deer and some of those things do not give you time to nock an arrow.
Hunting without a broad head is different,  true.

I  hunt rabbits with blunts. I usually have an arrow in my hand, and nock it when my beagle Daisy turns the chase towards me
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©