3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver vs Side/ Hip Quiver For Hunting  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Quiver vs Side/ Hip Quiver For Hunting
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
A week or so ago I posted requesting some ideas for a hunting quiver and received some excellent ideas, in fact many ideas that I did not even fathom existed.

At this point I am somewhat torn between the back quiver such as a Hill style and some of the side hanging quivers that are either open like the Hill model or have individual arrow holders constructed in.

Two questions about these different styles for those of you who have used them.

When still hunting or spot and stalk, how difficult is it to remove an arrow from the hill style without ones movement being seen and spooking the animal?

On a similar note, when using a side hanging or hip quiver while moving around, how much does the arrow shaft and fletching wiggle around showing movement which could also spook game?

I am a minimalist by nature and do not like a quiver on my bow.

I like the compactness of the back quiver but am concerned about getting an arrow without making enough movement to be spotted and am concerned that a side/ hip quiver would have fletched arrows flipping around showing movement while stalking or still hunting.

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver vs Side/ Hip Quiver For Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
Boils down to experience and what you like best.  Others, like me, can give you our opinion but in the end I believe you'll end up figuring it out by trying different quivers and seeing what fits your hunting style best.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
No matter the quiver I'm using, if I'm still hunting I hold one arrow in my bow hand as I'm creeping along. It's safe, and quick , silent movement to the arrow
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
O-Leatherman you are probably correct.

Although I love the looks of a bow mounted quiver, especially the traditional leather ones, and have spent a war pension on bow mounted quivers over the years, I just never like shooting or hunting with one attached.............and I've tried!  :)

I am just trying to get some input based on other's opinions since the quivers I am considering are a relatively sizable investment.

Thanks so much for your post and your Traditions Leathercraft site has some beautiful work.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Personally I have tried all types but the back quiver.  The main issue I encountered with a bow mounted one is in additional hang-ups when stalking particularly when crawling through dense areas.  My assumption is that this would also be an issue with a back quiver.  

My current favorite is a Palmer-made hard covered unit.  This unit protects the arrows in transport, stalking and weather issues. An arrow is easily withdrawn, it holds some accessories and easily attaches to a backpack.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I use the solo quiver which keeps only one arrow at the ready. It's a little leather pocket tied to the upper limb of your bow for the broad head with the shaft being held by your bow hand. Its safe and
 ready
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
I go with Gray Buffalo, a solo stalker and a side quiver for extras. The side quiver takes some attention when in thick stuff but otherwise I love mine. Mine happens to be a highnoon but there are several side quivers out there that will hold a few extra arrows quietly and with minimal effort on your part to move the quiver around for varing terrain. Do a search it seems there was two recent post on nice side quivers by two different individuals and one I believe is a sponsor and responded above oklahomaleatherman perhaps.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
I have become quite accustomed and partial to one back quiver I have made. It naturally hangs for arrows to be pulled easily. The base hangs just right to pull it around with my bow-arm elbow, when needed, to get through thick stuff. I just need to make a camo-ish wool cloth waterproof hood for when I'm caught in rainfall. While stalking hogs last month I think I got busted by my chartreuse fletching being seen as I inched forward on one. A natural material (wool) cap over the fletching might have helped. i also got caught in rainfall a week ago and I know it would have helped.

If my back quiver would happen to be lost as an option, a Kwikee Kwiver that is quickly removed would be my next choice. My first deer I killed when I was 16 was with a bow. I stalked to within 20 yards of her. The last few yards I removed the quiver and placed it on the ground to get close enough. The reason was, earlier that year I missed a nice buck due to having a bow quiver still attached and from my low position the arrows hit the ground, preventing a timely shot. The deer spooked and I lost the chane due to arrows hanging down.

And angled back bow quiver would be my next choice. One that held arrows closer to the lower limb tip while the bow is drawn.

I have an old Charles Daly hip quiver that seems like a nice design. I got it at a pawn shop for $10. I have yet to field test it.

Buying an old Kwikee Kwiver and affixing straps too it for an under the arm type of transport might be good as well. I have yet to try that. Kwikee Kwivers are easily found on fleabay and pawn shops.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
I am going to fall on sword and embarrass myself in order to offer an opinion that may or may not be helpful. I went through the same issue, and I made it more complicated because I shoot Right and left handed interchangeably, so I wanted a quiver that does everything. I tried bow quivers, hip quivers, back quivers, Korean dongae quiver, etc. I really got excited when I saw O Leatherman's Latigo Silent Stalker side quiver and had him ready to start punching one out for me when I realized my budget was busted. Then I started looking sideways at my dad's old 1950's King back quiver that I had been trying to restore to use as a back quiver but some of the straps were dry rotted . Plus, an old rotator cuff tear combined with longer arrows proved out to be incompatible with a true back quiver. So I did the unthinkable to an heirloom.

I ended up reattaching the torn remnant of the main back strap as a simple loop over the center of the top opening, removed  and the large exterior pocket, knife and file sheathes and keepers, then boldly cut a large long opening on the "short" side of the quiver, removing a piece of leather about  12 x 4 inches. I noticed that O Leatherman doesn't cut the lower end of the bottom opening square but rather a bit acute, which provides more coverage for the tips, so I did that. Then I re-used and re-located the straps that were still viable, got a very old 2" heavy leather belt that my waist outgrew a few years back and made that into the shoulder strap that I attached at the top at the loop made from the original main strap and at the bottom to a loop that runs across the bottom of the opening. I went to WalMart and bought a $9 set of "yoga Blocks", dense closed cell foam blocks, cut a piece to fit into the bottom of the quiver.

The end result is a side quiver that throws on quickly over one shoulder, will hold at least 15 arrows  if I want, securely holds broadhead tips ,field tips and judos in place. The top of the quiver rides  under my arm  held against my body by my elbow with the bottom of the opening right under my draw hand when I am shooting, so I can grab a shaft about 2 inches from the tip, slide it back a few inches then up and forward across the string and side plate with very little motion, far less than with a back quiver. It easily  slides back to ride a bit more vertically and around to the back when I'm walking . Like a Hill back quiver, the leather forms around the shafts so nothing moves in the quiver. It works equally well righty or lefty with no adjustment required, just moving the arrows so the fletched ends ride outside the shoulder strap. My dad had added some clips around the top opening of the original to keep shafts from moving around, but those turned out to be both unnecessary and counter-productive, as the clips grab the fletching when you try to draw the arrow out the bottom of the opening.

Like I said, this King leather is 60 years old and when it falls apart, I am going to get O Leatherman to make me a new one from scratch, as he will certainly improve both the quality and functionality. He has a great design and makes a top quality quiver for shooting at the range or silent stalking with the added benefits of being easy to hang on a hook or stub once you're in your blind.

mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
i know this is not your original question- but it is kinda a back quiver- i tried the entire gamut of quivers- until i settled on the "cat quiver"
can crawl thru the bush with it- fletches are protected, broadheads are safe- arrows are not rattling- can hold a dozen arrows if need be, it is behind you- does not hang up on anything, is truly ambidextrous!
and with the extra small pack that comes with it, is really handy- everything in one package- just grab and go.
i like the #3 or the 3.5.
additionally i use a solo stalker on the bow- all my bows have them on!- they are the greatest!!
 and surprisingly affordable - new, but also to be had used!

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
I like a hip quiver. I keep it on a belt with a fanny pack and it has a strap at the bottom so it can be tied to your leg. It does not move around and can be slid around toward the back when walking through the thick stuff. Branches will catch it occasionally, but it's better than looking like I'm trying to work my way out of a jacket with no sleeves every time I want to get an arrow out of a back quiver.

For deer hunting I can just sling it over my shoulder an hang it in the tree when I get there. I tested it elk hunting this year, and it worked well. I just bought another bow quiver though....just to try it....yet again.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
I like a bow quiver for my recurve.  Seems to balance out the weight and quiet things down.  However I am having a longbow refinished.  When I get that I just can't seem to come to grips with the idea of putting a 4+ arrow quiver on it.  So I just sent money to get a little 2 arrow quiver for it.

But, I want a few more arrows in the woods with me, just in case...

So I think I'm going to look at a side quiver that I can maybe trap to my pack.  Or carry along with everything else.

For my style of hunting I don't a back quiver will work for me.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
I hate bow quivers.  Try the Absorkee quiver by FarrWest Leather, a sponsor on here.  Tim makes a good looking, hunting product that is the easiest on/off quiver, and works well with packs, in trees, in stillhunting situations....it's just a good design.  

There are no perfect quivers, and it's all a matter of preference, but give this one a good look.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
Back Quiver.  Second nature.  Despite the availability of all the other types of quivers some of our pioneers like Hill, Pearson, Schulz, and Swinehart preferred them for hunting.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
as some have alluded...you really got to try some out.  ALso be sure to give them enough time for you to get used to their feel, adjustments, location, and when drawing arrows.  A lot of it is familiarity which builds confidence and comfort.

I have GN strap on quivers, GN quick mount, heavy leather back quiver, Lakota style side quiver, and then my newest...the steve catts side stalker.

In the past I used all of them based on intended prey (small game vs big game) or based on broadheads/points carried.....or type of hunting such as tree stand or ground bline or stalking.  

In the end the Lakota side quiver was my favorite except when wanting to carry a large number of small game heads or three blade heads.  For that I prefer my Steve Catts Side Stalker...gives me comfort and portability of the side quiver...the capacity and versatility of different heads of the back quiver...but I can still remove to lay on ground beside me or hang from limb or hook in tree stand...and then stalk through thick brush as well.  

Ted Fry had his Raptor quiver which was similar and Three Rivers sold one similar as well.

If I was going to recommend one to try to cover all hunting situations with all types of broadheads or other points...I would recommend the stalker style side quiver no matter the maker as that too is personal taste.  Price is also a consideration...so go with what makes you comfortable.

Raptor Archery has their version for $140...very well made and one of the first I ever saw like this many years ago.  Not sure if the originator but I liked his the best until I saw Steve Catts'

3 Rivers Archery has their new version for $90-130 depending if you get the pouch for a string or whatever.

Steve Catts go from $150-250 depending on model and size and such.  I would likely recommend you get one of the others first and if you really like it and then want the extra functionality, protection or design features he includes then can do that later with a more informed and focused approach.

All three of these will let you draw them out the top like a back quiver but more importantly is the access towards bottom that reduces your movement and allows drawing of arrow very close to your body with minimal arm movement in my opinion.

Good luck....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
Back quiver, safari tuff for me. Great protection and arrow slides out bottom. Much less noticeable movement than pulling arrow from a traditional back quiver where the arrow comes from behind your head. Hip quivers I have tried always had arrow fletching moving with each step as your leg/hip rotated.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
I have looked at and reviewed more quivers and quiver styles than I realized there were quivers available.  The styles range from bow mounted, back, side, open, enclosed, one arrow, multiple arrows, traditional leather, modern camo fabric, etc.
For now I’ve decided as a test that I am going to fabricate a strap for my current Kwikee Kwiver (actually my wife will do the fabricating) similar to the Fred Asbell GFA quiver and hunt with it a while to find out how I like the concept.
The best part of this experiment is that it costs me zero dollars as I already have the quiver and straps from my hiking and backpacking days.
This will at least give me a free look to see if I like a side quiver and from there I will see in which direction I need to go.
Thanks so much for the many ideas.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Since you have already decided on a side quiver, and you have the Kwikkee Kwiver, may I suggest the Mark Baker Caddie Bracket. This is a time proven way to carry a side quiver, and the inspiration behind the Absorkee Quiver. It removes the quiver from your neck, and places it on your belt, pocket, or pack belt. It is by far the easiest on and off quiver attachment.

This is the original Absorkee Quiver, 5 arrow capacity. We have models that carry from 4-6 arrows, and a good selection of colors.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Tim, that is a very good looking quiver.  I have definitely given them some consideration and will again in the future I'm sure.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
My two favorites are my Farr west leather Ridge Line quiver and my Great Northern Sidekick quiver.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©