3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver vs Side/ Hip Quiver For Hunting  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver vs Side/ Hip Quiver For Hunting
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
I have gone this every year for 40 years. I like the Safari Tuff except for the fact the wind catches it like crazy when hanging in a tree. I have made several different types of side quivers that were wonderful until I decided I needed something else. The most functional was an Asbel type quiver I made by mounting each end of a quikee on to an Osage slat. They all have there issues, pick the ones you can live with.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
I have and use a Selway hip quiver. I use a fletching bonnet when I'm doing any spot and stalk. It is very easy to put a key ring on the end and hang it on a branch stob when in a tree stand. I like it better than a bow quiver even though I use one occasionally.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
This year I switched to a Palmer Arrow Works quiver . It like the Safari Tuff ,but stronger . So far it's working out . It is water proof and keeps fletching hiden and prevents damage .

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
Depends on what I am doing.  Like many on here I have been through the evolution of quivers.  If I am going in and setting a tree stand and hunting, then bowquiver.  If I am doing actual stalking of deer or small game, then I use a back quiver.  But, like in the fall I walk alot turkey hunting, I find that Arrow Master perfect.  I actually do not like a bowquiver on my longbow, but the convienance of carrying everything in and then hanging it in tree is too much to pass up, as I have to set up and take stand down on public property.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
I like both... I like the back quiver for hunting, it is just simply quiet and roomie. I use the Raptor side quiver for 3D and practice, I just find the side quiver to be much cooler than the back quiver in hot weather.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I use bow quivers but went through a faze of trying hill style back quiver, arrow master quiver, gfa side quiver and a jack Bowyer side stalker. I only have the arrow master left and the hill style back quiver.  You should hear the bow quivers I have tried-ha!
You kind of need both for different hunting or goofing off

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
I haven't used any high end quivers of any kind, mainly the cheap ones you can get at Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc.  I have a leather back quiver, one of the cheap camo open hip quivers with foam in the bottom and grippers up top, and a bow mounted kwikee kwiver with a homemade leather hood.  The bow quiver is noisy, but it's also cheap, so I can't really judge that style quiver accurately.  The back quiver works well in open areas, but in the pine thickets of north Louisiana, the arrows tend to hang up on overhanging branches, vines, etc.  Also, if you carry arrows with different points, it's more difficult to see what arrow you're grabbing.  The hip quiver is easier to guide through brush.  I wear mine with fletching forward where I can use my right hand to turn/guide the arrows when in thick areas.  It's also easy to see exactly which arrow you're drawing.  I don't like the fact that I have to partially remove my belt to remove the quiver.  There are also issues with the quality because, as I said, it's cheap.  My wife just picked up the one pictured below at a yard sale for me, and I think it'll be just the ticket next season, for me at least.  It's an old leather hip quiver with no markings on it.  It hangs by a metal clip that can be easily attached to or removed from a belt.  It's small and light weight.  It'll hold 12 arrows with field points, but it is slap full with that many.  With broadheads, I think 6 will be absolute max.  It also has a dividing strip of leather at the top (2nd picture) so that your arrows are separated into two bunches while in the quiver.  That'll allow me to quickly and easily distinguish between broadheads and field points. I still need to clean it up.

Not sure if this information is helpful, but I hope you find one that suits you.

Matt Toms

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I have used every imaginable type of quiver except a back quiver.  I love the idea of the back quiver but it's rare for me to hunt even for a few hours without at least a daypack on.  The back quiver just doesn't work.  It want's your back all to itself.   :)  

The thing I've settled on is an over the shoulder side quiver.  First thing that was clear is that they are for carrying arrows but not a good system for quietly and carefully slipping an arrow into play.  The single arrow stalker is the solution and is so slick that I recommend them for any quiver style except, of course, a bow quiver.  Mine is set up to retain the arrow above and below the riser.  I move around too much to have to grip the arrow in the hand.

Not a very good pic, but the whole kit looks like this.

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Hey Monterey could you put up a couple pics of how that attaches to the bow?  I like that. Been using a side quiver and just recently put a Thunderhorn bow quiver on but that may be the way to go.

Thanks
Patrick
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I have both and use both for different applications.  Those rubber arrow grippers can be fashioned to fit in your side  quiver easily.  The arrows are separated, quiet but easily accessible, but protected as you move thru brush.  I have a 5 arrow gripper that only took a piece of leather and a couple Chicago screws.  For rabbits, I remove it so I can load up lots of blunts.  I use my back quivers for roving as it carries 18 arrows
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »
Patrick, I only have a picture of the shaft gripper.  It's made of three or four layers of thick leather laminated with contact cement under pressure in a shop vice.  Then it's cut out on a band saw to fit a specific bow.  The tie is just a double piece of B50 or heavy leather sewing thread.  Tie it tight and melt the ends with a match to secure the knot.  To remove just cut it off.

The broadhead sheath is fastened the same way through a hole punched in the end or lately I cut both sides of the sheath from one piece of leather and leave an opening at the tip to pass the string through.

If you're not into leather work, then you might be better off with one of the sponsors products.  Mine are made of odds and ends from other projects.  It would be costly to purchase every thing you need just to make a few of them.

Monterey

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Made something similar with a selway piggy backer...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Eric, that is surely a slick way of doing it.  I'll probably continue making mine as pictured just because everything needed is always at hand but I like your solution.   :thumbsup:
Monterey

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Both are great ideas!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »
I think it really depends on how you hunt. I hunt fixed stand and ground too but I spend a lot of time in my climber and for that I prefer a bow mounted quiver.
SWA Spyder

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I like the GFA quiver. It is a little cumbersome to get an arrow out quickly and quietly. I only carry three when deer and turkey hunting. When I reach an area I expect to have an encounter I take an arrow out and carry it with the bow in my bow hand. I made a broadhead sheath out of an old belt. I suppose there is a chance you may fall on the arrow, but I feel like you would have to be quite uncoordinated to do so. The GFA is pretty good for moving around in cover as it is easy to position many ways. For squirrels and when shooting a lot I use a basket back quiver from Dwyer. I do not do much if any tree stand hunting, mostly still-hunting.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mark Baker:
I hate bow quivers.  Try the Absorkee quiver by FarrWest Leather, a sponsor on here.  Tim makes a good looking, hunting product that is the easiest on/off quiver, and works well with packs, in trees, in stillhunting situations....it's just a good design.  

There are no perfect quivers, and it's all a matter of preference, but give this one a good look.
Yep.
Nothing hanging around your neck, arrows ride behind you extremely well and you can slip it on and off without removing your pack and with minimal movement.  Here in Wisconsin I primarily chase whitetails from treestands so the only mod I made to mine was to simply tie a short loop of parachute cord to mine so that I can hang it once in the tree.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©