3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground blind hunting  (Read 596 times)

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground blind hunting
« on: November 03, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
I am going to try taking my son out in the ground blind. I've never hunted a ground blind. I know to wear black tops and whatnot for the camp in the blind.
 Can you shoot through the windows without affecting arrow flight reliably?
 Any other tips of tricks on hunting with a ground blind?
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground blind hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
Took my first deer from a "pop up" last fall. Yes, you can shoot through the mesh screen windows, and for deer I do recommend using the screens. Turkeys don't seem to pay attention to open windows, but deer do.

Also, brush it in a bit. Just break up the outline with limbs, leaves and/ or weeds. If you can put it up and let them get used to it for a few days, that will really help.

Oh yeah, practice shooting through the windows if at all possible. I've missed turkeys by glancing the arrow off the edge of a window. In the "heat of the moment, it's easy to do.

Good luck, be safe and have fun.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat wanting to get the kids out for a hunt and I think a ground blind is the ticket.  Much more enjoyable for kids if they can wiggle around and move a bit.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
I will chime in with my .02, you can keep the change...

I put a commercial blind up this fall.  I placed it up against a tree and scrub brush, thought it was kind of hidden in plain sight.  I also brushed it in some but the greenery died so I don't think that helped as much as I thought it would.

I placed the blind about 2 weeks prior to our seasoning opening also.  I left one window open hoping the deer would get used to seeing the "black hole".

I saw deer, they came out into the field about 75 yrds. from my blind.  Came out right where I thought they would.  They made it to about 30 yds. and looked my way the whole time.  Very cagey and on edge.

They wouldn't commit to coming any closer.  In fact, the yearlings got what sounded to me like a tongue lashing from mom as they were coming closer.  They turned and ran back to her.

I have since moved the blind, BRUSHED it in and closed the netting on the windows.  I'm planning on hunting it this week, we'll see if there's any difference in their behavior.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.  Oh, and for what's it worth I am using the ASAT blind as well.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Jeremy covered it well...I have experienced this same thing in a pop up. I'm a brush blind kind of guy..I've had deer within yards of me that seemed totally unaware and I've taken deer without a blind just by sitting really still against a wide tree as a backdrop but my brother put up a couple of pop-up blinds on his property and I thought I'd try it. The deer are keyed into it the moment it comes into view. I've had  deer within range but they are so obviously nervous about the blind I was sure they'd jump the string if I shot. I told him to brush them in as soon as he can because it will be tough to get a shot the way things are now. He was doing that this past weekend and I will give it another try on Friday morning. If its the same deal I already have a good brush blind set up for the afternoon

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I have hunted from a pop a few times with my so. this year with no luck. I put the blind up and left it for 3 weeks. I did have a cam the same day I put it up and got pics the next 2 days and then nothing . I sat it the first time last Saturday and saw 0. I sat it again this past Friday and saw 0. we have also hinted from natural blinds a few times and have seen 1. it is hard to do with a little one.  but if I had my choice I would rather hunt from a natural blind.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
My wife shot a doe last night out of one I put in in August. It's not brushed in but under a big blow down.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
Forgot to mention I moved the blind to the tree line where the deer come out.  Hopefully they come out and it is past their vision before they fully enter the field.  

This will afford me a quartering away shot, assuming they come out in the same spot.  I did put a camera up literally right in front of the blind so I should know if they are walking by it at all.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
I don't want to leave it there. It is on public land. I will brush it in as well as I can, this just seems like a better way to actually see something as he can't sit still enough out in the open or move through the woods quietly. Granted, this is the first time he went out in the woods and it will take some time to learn, I by no means am the quietest, but try.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Almost all my hunting is from ground blinds nowadays. I always shoot thru the netting, even with a string tracker!

Also, go out and cherish the time in the woods with your son. Don't sweat it if he can't quite sit still enough, or be quiet enough (esp if he is very young). Some kids eat it up, and some don't.

Good luck to you and your son!

Bisch

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
I'm going to take him back out this Sunday.  :)  can't wait

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
take a few practice shots through the netting so you are familiar with it...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
your seat height is important when shooting through a window....it takes awhile to get used to shooting out of a blind

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 01:33:00 AM »
I will try that. I'm trying to find where to get replacement shoot through windows at too. I bought a Rothco folding chair.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
You can bye camo netting and sow it in yourself for a lot cheaper. Your windows should last for years, some of ours have dozens of holes in them from shooting critters. We just keep rotating the blind so the best window is forward but you would be surprised what you can shoot thru and have no effect on the arrow.

Here's a doe getting ready to be drilled and had a string tracker on shot thru the netting

Turkey at 12yds string tracker thru netting

Ceder trees are your best friend when it comes to blinds if you have any. Trim it slide under and in face the door out if you can and brush it in a little. Smells so good too!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
I'll be climbing tree's until I can't anymore. And, after that I'll be in a comfortable blind. Had some deer really close this past turkey season, and it is exciting.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
Just brush it in and shoot through the mesh. No problem.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I have shot quite a few deer out of a pop up. When I set it out I rarely brush it in anymore. Most of the deer I have shot were under 8 yards. One thing I believe is a must is keeping the windows as small of an opening as possible. I don't use netting. For me the blinds with 180 degree viewing work best. You can see out and keep it dark inside.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
the other option is to just take the kid hunting and forget setting still and quiet...i didn't learn to sit still till i was over 50...there is a lot more to be learned out side of a blind than in one...

my 3 kids and 7 grand kids will tell ya that sitting in a blind at that age is BORING!!!

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I took my 7 year old son Matthew for a walk about today. After five minutes of me saying "shhh" I realized that stealthy still hunting wasn't going to work.

I gave him the grunt call and the antlers and said "make as much noise as you want, try to sound like a deer"

We had a grand ol' time. Made some good memories.

And then a huge buck came running up, stopped and stood broadside at 15 yards.Just kidding. We didn't see any deer, but we had a lotta fun.

Sorry to highjack you pop-up blind thread,blame it on durp.  ;)  

Good luck, God bless,
Scott
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©