3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Use of 2 way radios while hunting?????  (Read 618 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Use of 2 way radios while hunting?????
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
I have never thought much of the idea of using 2 way radios while hunting.  I like hunting alone, and even when I do join other hunters, we usually separate and meet at the truck later.  Also, I admit to feeling uneasy - where legal, would the use of 2 way radios be considered unethical, possibly giving us too much of an advantage?

My young son has been hunting with me for several years now and until this past weekend, we always sat together.  On Sunday we sat close together bowhunting for deer and turkeys, but a flock of turkeys wouldn't come close and we were running out of time - I decided to try and make something happen.  I put my son in a good spot and circled around to push the turkeys close to him.  It took maybe 30 minutes and what I didn't know was that a spike buck had fed up behind him and was 20 yards away and closing when I pushed those turkeys to him.  Of course they were spooked and they took that little buck away with them, just at the wrong time.  I thought, if we had radios, he could have called me and told me to hold off for a while.  I want him to get a kill so bad, but later on the drive home I began worrying that use of the radios in that situation wouldn't be very "fair".

Any thoughts, pro or con, regarding the use of 2 way radios while hunting, if legal?
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Use of 2 way radios while hunting?????
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
We use Garmin 120 GPS/Radios while hunting.  But not for game location.  We use them at the conclusion of a hunt to find each other. (GPS marks locations when the send key is pushed) And to establish a rally point.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
I have never heard of 2-ways being illegal, but I am not an expert.

Do you both have cell phones?  Or he can borrow your wife's.  I like the use of the text messaging when hunting with buddies.  Super quiet.

Mike
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
I concur with Wingnut. We use them for Safety purposes too.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I wouldn't feel very comfortable with the radios but each needs to make their own choice. I do use game cams, gps, sat images tree stands and carry a cell phone with me. I have also text messaged coordinates to my partners and messages such as going back to camp,how many we did or didn't see etc. We have never used them for a coordinated drive.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Jeff:
That's why they call it "HUNTING". When you add radio's its elevated to killing!! And in some states two-way's are illegal for the purpose you discribed.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Check your game laws   :readit:  .  If I remember the regulations, they are illegal in some places (like Ohio or PA).  We use them here in NY more for possible emergencies or a major change of plans.  I have seen groups use them during gun hunt drives (not my style   "[dntthnk]"  ).

They don't get a lot of use, but nice to have.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I Have used them a couple times while hunting. There a Nice Item to have, Just Check your Game Regs concerning them!! Here In Michigan It is legal to have them but not legal to use for the taking of game (IE) Hey joe a big buck is headed your way, get ready, The Turkeys are moving east through the orchard so get over there. That kind of thing is NOT Legal!! Hey joe was that you shooting? Did ya get one, Stop heading this way, so you don't spook this deer. Those things are legal in Michigan.
  As Long as you are not giving a person an Advantage with the radio it is legal here. If I understand the laws correctley.
  The Bad thing in Michigan is it is NOT Legal to use ANY Electronic Devise for taking Game, Except for Predator's Then you can use electronics Calls & Decoy's & Lights.
 The Bad part is the sport shops can SELL any kind of call Electric deer calls, turkey calls, elk calls its ALL legal to sell!! But if you get cought in the woods with it you will be arrested, fined & lose your hunting privliges! Just don't understand how it's legal to sell but not legal to use.!!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Funny story.  One of my friends is expecting any time soon.  The father is an avid hunter and they are both going to the cabin they have.  There is no cell phone coverage in the area, but the 2-way radios work.  He is carrying one so she can call if they need to head to the hospital......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Illegal in KS for giving any information whatsoever about wild game while in pursuit, except for coyotes.  If you're using them here, it would be hard to explain their usage/possession while hunting with this law even if it were totally innocent, so most don't chance it.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
In WI it is illegal to use them to assist in locating or taking game.  The situation you describe is probably kind of borderline as to how much the radio would have assisted.  And that's where the problems come in.  So many grey areas on what is or isn't assisting.  And so easy to cross the line without even thinking about it.  It's just natural for anyone to say whatever pops into their head without thinking about whether it is legal to say that or not.
"There's a buck coming your way"
"I'm going to head back for lunch and I'll walk through the wooods toward you"
Those are just a couple examples of what seems simple conversation could easily be interpreted as a violation.

We do use radios on occasion, but generally leave them off and have a prearranged time to check with each other on what the plans for the rest of the morning might be.  Most times I end up forgetting to turn it on when I'm supposed to  :knothead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
I always give one to the largest buck in our area. That way I know where he is and can help him avoid someone else!! (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
I never thought I would use them untill my wife wanted to start hunting, she wanted to gun hunt deer, so I sat with her for 2 seasons trying to teach her what I could about, deer and hunting them. I pretty well missed 2 years of hunting during the rut to sit with her during our November gun season. After taking a few deer and becoming fairly comfortable sitting in a stand by herself, I decieded to bow hunt nearby, within a mile or 2. But I purchased a couple raidos. We will set a time to check in,like 10 am or something, and if I think I hear her shoot it is agreed that we will turn on the radios after she does shoot, and again at dark. To make sure she is ok and all, or if she needs any help. Other than that the raidos stay off. In my mind it does not provide any advantage other than allowing my wife to hunt alone, and for me to be able to also hunt, and with peace of mind.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Just for sake of discussion: Where legal, how does the use of radios differ from using flagging signals or hand signals of some sort as mentioned on a sheep hunting thread?  If I yelled to you across a ravine "A buck is heading your way" would it be any different?  To some degree I think we are Techno-phobic (or Techno-odio) yet here we sit on a cyber connection trying to learn how better to hunt, ironic.  In VA radios are legal and we use them to keep in touch with each other.  Their use to alert other hunters can be over rated and the downside is the talking/movement can alert deer to the hunter's prescence.  They can be useful in a man-drive but the driver can always yell or signal some more archaic way than radios.  It may not be your style but I think they are a valid tool for safety and to coordinate plans.  I feel they will be very useful once my kids are old enough to hunt without me in their stand.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
all depends who is hunting with me. sometimes you get a guy that wants to talk a lot and that is now way to hunt. when i use them we usally agree to a certain time, turn the radios on and see if anyone saw anything. i have not used them yet this year and it is refreshing not to use them however they do have their place.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Talondale:
Just for sake of discussion: How does the use of radios differ from using flagging signals or hand signals of some sort as mentioned on a sheep hunting thread?  If I yelled to you across a ravine "A buck is heading your way" would it be any different?  To some degree I think we are Techno-phobic (or Techno-odio) yet here we sit on a cyber connection trying to learn how better to hunt, ironic.  In VA radios are legal and we use them to keep in touch with each other.  Their use to alert other hunters can be over rated and the downside is the talking/movement can alert deer to the hunter's prescence.  They can be useful in a man-drive but the driver can always yell or signal some more archaic way than radios.  It may not be your style but I think they are a valid tool for safety and to coordinate plans.  I feel they will be very useful once my kids are old enough to hunt without me in their stand.
Our law says "by radio or  other mechanical means ".  I suppose that could mean flagging as well, though it would be tough to convict unless they could prove a premeditated intent to do so.  Pretty vague, but I think they want it that way as a catch all.  I think the real purpose is to give game a fair chance.  With a radio, you could communicate without disturbing or alerting the game; yelling would.  When you think about how far technologies have come, it could be real hard for rangers/wardens to catch someone violating the law.  Where they used to (and I'm sure they still do here) monitor public use radio frequencies during hunting season with scanners, it is much harder for them to catch folks with cell phones, text messages, and email devices like BlackBerries and Iphones, these days.  Due to the poor ability to catch anyone and enforce the law nowadays, I think the law is antiquated.    ;)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Let me rephrase my question to read "Where legal..."

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I never pack radios.. But I do carry a signal mirror,..
Damn Nice guy

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, Georgia law states that it is illigal to use radios in the persuit of game.  I had a DNR agent tell me that ther ewas nothing illigal about carrying a radio for safety orcommunications after the hunt as long as you did not use it in the persuit ofgame.  Now I am suretha every DNR agent will have a different take on this.

THe main thing is to know your states regulations, and abide by them.  

Also, I assume since you were hearding turkeys toward your son that turkey season is open in NC during the Fall.  Not so in Georgia.  Spring Turkey hunting only.

My hunting buddy and I used to use the headsets with voice activated transmission.  We hunted about 100 yds apart and would tip each other off if something was moving.  We were hunting out of tree stands so we were not "persuing" game.  The DNR agent told me that would be borderline and it would cepend on which DNR agent I asked.  He said it would have been OK with him.  His take was that you could not use them on a deer drive.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Holchin:
I have never thought much of the idea of using 2 way radios while hunting.  I like hunting alone, and even when I do join other hunters, we usually separate and meet at the truck later.  Also, I admit to feeling uneasy -

I read the last sentence above and think you answered your own question Jeff, and knowing you I believe that it will mean much more to both you and Daniel when you do it your way......

As for me, they are illegal here to use in assisting to take game, and if they were legal I don't see where I would use them....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©