3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: October Lull - Myth?  (Read 544 times)

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
October Lull - Myth?
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
This weekend in cheesehead land I had 5 sits.  Kinda rained out on two.  Saw no deer.  Local said he had the same results.  I've remembered this from years past.  Anybody else run into an Oct lull?

It's more scientific???  One trail camera I had set up for a month in the same spot would verify an Oct lull.

2 weeks in Sept. had 54 hits.

2 weeks ending on Oct 13th 10 hits.

Any opinions????

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: October Lull - Myth?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
Is there food dropping where your hunting?Where are you hunting on a trail to a bedding area or to a food plot? Deer have to eat and water.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
I have always considered the "October lull" a myth. October is a month of change for the whitetail. Food sources are changing, crops are being harvested, mast is now dropping, bucks are preparing for the coming rut, etc, etc. The consistant summer patterns you saw, and photographed, in September have changed. A lot of hunters fail to adjust during this time and blame it on a lull in activity. The deer are still out there but their patterns are just changing. My 2 cents.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
I've seen and had others concur that food sources like apples get hammered hard during sept, but if white oaks start dropping last sept early october the don't touch the apples again for a while...

could be a food source thing.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Acorns Acorns Acorns Acorns Acorns Acorns..
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Strick9 has it right.My stand sits looking over a grove of oaks with a good acorn crop this year.I counted 6 deer yesterday am in the 3 hrs I was on stand.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
There is certainly truth to every statement made.But lets not forget deer know when hunters hit the woods and they seem to react every year the same way, a lot of night movement.October has always been that way in my experience.I don't know if it is specifically related to pressur alone but they love to move at night in october.The rut will change that and low food sources will change it.The camara having lower hits is cetainly change in bed and food.My opinon!  :campfire:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
My camera hits have really dropped off in the past week also.  Of course i have the timer set so that it is only on an hour before sunrise and an hour after dark.  Something has certaqinly changed but in another week or two things will magically turn for the better and there will be deer everywhere again.  It certainly isn't deer reacting to hunting pressure since there is none except for me on my property (200 ac).  Certainly a change in weather and food/water sources though.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Didn't read all the replies...but it not a lull...just a change from the summer pattern to fall pattern.  You gotta follow the deer, as they haven't stopped moving or eating.....just changed there travel patterns.

Least that's what I've found always seems to happen.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
If you follow the harvest records I think we as a group have trouble filling many tags the first two weeks of Oct.. True it is a transition time from summer to fall and the up coming rut, but feel early season pressure has forced many deer to be a bit more timid or reclusive.. Find an area with zero or very little pressure and they will still be hitting the summer food sources.
By the way, a whole lot of us out here in the mid west or west don't have to worry about acorns.. (No Oak trees) our deer live by the ag crops with fourth cutting alfalfa, beans and corn leading the way, and I would put them in that order... No fourth cutting alfalfa, I'd move beans to #1. Standing corn will hold them as much for security as for feed
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I believe in the "myth". Here in Michigan the deer get pounded really hard by archery hunters. It does not take but one solid weekend of encroachment by hunters for the deer to change their patterns... i.e. moving more at night, sticking to thicker cover where it is more difficult to spot them. Not to mention what the others have about changing food sources. Combine all of these factors and if you are not in the right place you will be in for a beautiful sunset and nothing more  :D

Then, about the last 10 days or so of October the movement seems to increase again as the bucks begin to get a little restless with the oncoming rut. Bucks start cruising more and cruising more during the daylight hours, making and checking scrapes, chasing does and just causing a bit of ruckess that makes the deer visible to us hunters again.

So basically if you can find an out of the way spot with little pressure, sit near the favored food source for that time of the year, you can still have some awesome action even when many other areas seem devoid of deer.

kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I believe the "lull" theory. It's a time of change, for both hunters and deer. Food sources change, days get shorter, bucks become solitary, visability, temps, more hunters. Of course they still move, just tougher to pattern, 'till the rut starts.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
In my neck of the Georgia woods,  pre-rut is kicking in and they will be breeding by months end.  I saw 5 bucks this weekend and killed one7pt.  A buddy with wheels killed an absolute monster 10 pt that I bet goes close to the top of the Georgia records on Friday night.  No lulls here!

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
I believe its from the changing food sources. I have noticed decreased activity on my property (food plots) but I believe that is in direct correlation with more corn piles showing up now than earlier. It is common in my neck of the woods for people to start dumping corn in mid OCt. up to the Rifle season. They bowhunt a few times but are mostly doing it to keep the deer in their area for the rifle hunt.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
I may not see as many deer in October,but I've killed all my biggest bucks between 20-30 October.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I think the lull is a myth. You just need to keep adapting to their prefered food source and hunting different times of the day. They are still out there but their movement changes due to food and hunter pressure.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
I think the lull is me tryin to catch up with their changing pattern,they still eat,drink and move just as much,I'm just not with it yet!LOL

My best bucks have also been from Oct 20 to Halloween........
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
I had never heard of the "lull" but was just thinking about it myself yesterday.  I've been archery hunting 4 years and have experienced a tremendous decrease in activity the first 2 weeks of October.  Just the last few days I started seeing a spike of activity again.  The apples in my yard were there before, during, and after... but they just now are hitting them hard again like they were at the end of Sept.

I can't fully blame acorns for my past Oct. failure as much of it is hunting large stands of oaks.  I think changing conditions and food sources is always a factor... but perhaps the deer, both doe and buck, are also genetically pre-programmed for a bit of a breather before the real action begins.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
If you are calling the decrease in deer movement during daylight hours in the early part of october the "october lull" then YES it not a myth it is a fact.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
I believe it, I've seen it, matter of fact, I've been hunting it!
Hope it changes this weekend like everyone says... :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©