3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where did u find your broadhead?  (Read 500 times)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Where did u find your broadhead?
« on: November 10, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
I shot a buck this past Saturday at 30yds with my new Silvertip, The Rocket.  I found the front part of my arrow arrow about 10 yds along the trail, and the back fletching part about 20yds along the trail.  No broadhead on the front part.  The buck went about 50yds.  I thought that maybe the Cutthroat was inside the buck.  Then thought that was impossible as the exit slice was apparent and the arrow made its way through.

I looked for the broadhead with my metal detector along the bloodtrail with no luck.  I was thinking about this some more wondering where it ended up.  I remembered seeing my Nockturnal disappear into his heart/lung area and knowing I shoot 30" D&M Custom ACC Pro Hunters, the broadhead had to have blown thru.

So I went back again with my metal detector and found it stuck in the bottom of an oak buried half way.  The buck took off and the Cutthroat stayed in the tree.  It was still sharp. Amazing broadhead.  I was shooting the 200gr LB with RW feathers.  No issues with penetration for sure.

So have any of you guys find your broadheads in weird spot?  Mine wasnt weird, just wasnt expected.

Re: Where did u find your broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
I shot a buck last year taht I did not make such a great shot on. The deer went about 300yds. I found the arrow, still whole, at about 275yds. The broadhead had come unscrewed off the arrow. Never did find that one!

I shot a buck this year, and watched him fall over dead at about 50yds. He broke the arrow into 3 pieces. The fletching end was about 10yds from the shot. The middle piece was still inside him when I gutted him. The front 10" and broadhead were nowhere to be found? I looked over and over. I finally found it buried up in a clump of brush about 15yds from where I shot him.

Bisch

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Keith,
You really know how to break in a new Rocket. Good on you. Interesting on the broadhead, will have to check out the Cutthroat... I have only had spikes and a small doe in range which I passed on. Congratulations.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
On my buck last year, I found the back half of the arrow about 10 yards down the blood trail and thinking the front end was still in the buck, I took my time field dressing..... it was not in him! It was an evening hunt.

The next day, my son and I went to look for it. I climbed up in the tree and had my son walk over to the impact spot and there it was!

No exit wound....broadhead hit off side shoulder.

This still has me scratching my head.....

God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Bisch, was it along the trail?  Or 15yds off the trail?

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
One time I shot a small buck and made a perfect lung hit, when he turned to leave I heard a metallic clank( I was shooting aluminum ) and he only made it 60 yards in the open hardwoods. I knew the arrow went right through but, I couldn't find it anywhere along the trail I went back and forth several times. Finally I found it about 5-7 yards off the blood trail , and only then did I realize that he had kicked the arrow in the air with his hind leg ( thus the clanging sound) and it made it that far.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
All of my BH's I found in trees had definitely NOT passed through a deer. I have never killed many deer with the bow, but all the heads were easily found still attached to the arrow.
Sam

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
If you had had the bevel and feathers matched up, you would probably had cut down the tree and the arrow would of had a complete pass through! Then you wouldn't be short an arrow now! Congrats!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keith Zimmerman:
Bisch, was it along the trail?  Or 15yds off the trail?
Probably 10 feet off the trail, but 15yds from the shot.

I wish I had the video of an impala I shot this summer in S Africa. I shot the impala at about 18yds, and the hit was perfect. Complete passthru, and the arrow landed about 7-9yds closer to us than where he was shot. You could not see it with the naked eye, and we were very surprised to find the arrow where we did. The slomo video shows him spinning hard as the arrow hit him, and by the time the arrow exited, that side was facing us instead of being away from us. it was incredible.

Bisch

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Great thread Keith. Certainly my least favourite place to find one of my broadheads was in our neighbors huge 8 pt opening week of gun season.
It was years ago but it still makes me feel weird!   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 04:47:00 AM »
Bisch, sounds like Science Fiction.  U almost shot yourself:^)

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Back in my compound days I shot a doe and didn't get a pass through - which never happened on a vitals shot.  So i was confused but saw her fall so went right to work.  My arrow had the insert in it, and the ferule of the broadhead had broke flush with the insert.  

I hit a tree that she was standing basically against.  I went back to the shot and there was blood spatter all over the tree and a Thunderhead 100 buried in it!  I took a pic as it's really cool, but won't post here since it was a compound kill.

That's a farm we still hunt today and every year I check it and it just becomes a little more "part of the tree" each year.  

Maybe someone will find it or notice it many years from now and ponder how.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
I found, or should say my butcher found my broadhead lodged along the off-side leg of the doe I shot in early season. Thought it had to be in the offal somewhere. Even used my metal detector. Knew it had to be in the animal somewhere as there was no exit hole and she broke off three quarters of the arrow when she took off and brushed against a tree.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Keith, great thread. I've used the metal detector twice successfully to find my arrows or broadheads. First time was a big buck where the hit was quartering away. Perfect shot angling forward & exited the lower scapula next to the ridge bone, deer made it 50 yards. We found the back half about 10 yards down the trail. The front 12-15 inches was harder to find... Used the metal detector and it was within 10-15 ft of impact. The buck broke it with its front exit leg as it took off. Second time was a Doe in Late Season snow/ice/Marsh grass. My arrow zipped through and buried under the snow/ice/grass. I couldn't find it til spring when the snow melted... But the detector did its job. Fast forward to this year. I harvested a buck, passed through the deer but could not tell if it was complete or where the arrow went. I've searched and searched along the trail with metal detector and no luck yet. I WANT MY ARROW BACK... That arrow alone had been through 1 turkey & 3 deer this year... Beautiful VPA 250/Grain Terminator 3-Blade 1-1/4" cut broadheads on the front. I'm tearing up as I type this.....

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
I found one under a stone wall with the aid of my sons metal detector in the spring following my first of two misses at the same buck. The doug fir shaft bounced out of the area I found it in but I could not immediately find it.

It was a big old sasquatch and I made up for the two misses when I killed the next buck that came downtime trail 10 minutes later. That happened on 11/11/11 and was a very memorable hunt.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
I shot a buck in Texas from a tree stand that was standing over a flat rock the buck  did the duck and roll and a friend found the front end of the arrow and broadhead  two days later between the rock and the tree is was in
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
I shot a boar in about 2005 with a Woodsman tipped 2018.  It took off with about 10 inches of arrow sticking out either side.  It was a great shot and he only made it about 60 yards.  When I found him no hint of arrow anywhere.  I spent about 3 hours looking for it that evening and the next day and never found any of it.

The blood trail was good so tracing the route was easy but it just vanished. I still don't understand it.    :confused:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
I shot a buck still hunting. The Hill tipped arrow seemed to fly perfect, but I got a glimpse of my feathers going sideways beyond the deer.  My arrow apparently snapped in half on a sappling.  I found the broad head with about 14" of shaft sticking up in the weeds, I do not know where the fletched end went.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
I have killed a buck and doe this year with both complete pass through , wood arrow and have not found either arrow. I have looked all along the blood trail, and the area I shot them making wide sweeps, knowing they will sometimes kick the arrow a long ways but nothing. Go figure!
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »