3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Once in a lifetime hunt, deer down!  (Read 1426 times)

Offline NANUK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Once in a lifetime hunt, deer down!
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
That's an incredible story!  Congrats on those toads!!!
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Congrats! Nice job.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Thanks all. I realize I made a bad shot on the first one but I'm far from perfect. I would not have posted had it not turned out well. Had the second not come in I would have still waited and tracked my heart out for the first. My pause in the story was from sleep deprivation, maybe next time I won't pause. Anyway this is definitely my best hunting day ever and will forever be in my memory. I just wanted to share with my fellow trad family. Thanks again and good luck to all
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
What an incredible hunt!!! Good for you brother. Would love to know the scores on both of those deer if you have an inkling to measure them. That's two fine bucks right there. Congrats!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story! A big congratulations on two beautiful deer.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
Todd I dropped them off at the taxidermy today he said he would give them a score for me. I'll let ya know when I hear
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
gotta love it!!!

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Unreal, congrats!
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Double congratulations, love those experiences that you will never forget and continue to relive forever.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Awesome bucks!  Yikes - what a day!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
Like Mike Said, Congrats on 2 great Deer, Glad you were able to keep your composure on the second shot after our first.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
Wow, two bruisers! Congrats on the both of them.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Unreal!!!  What a once in a lifetime event.  Congratulations.

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
That is a heck of a day. Congrats on both bruisers
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
Wow...thats definatly a great day! Congrats brother!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
KS I guess I'm the only one else that felt the same.  Fastlz congrats on your luck, I mean bucks.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I don't get these negative responses!  What do you guys want from this guy?  He shares his story honestly just like it happened.  
As I recall, Gene Wensel shot "Woody" in the A$$ too!  And he told the whole world exactly how it happened.   No one intentionally does this but it happens and what's wrong with telling the story?
Congrats again David for keeping your composure and making a great shot on the second buck!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I guess tracking your deer until you find it or have done your very best to recover it went out when my grandpa taught me it.  I don't blame him for the initial shot or the excitement in the recovery of not one but two awesome bucks  but I think the thought of automatically shooting another deer cause it is there must be something I can't grasp. I have lost multiple days trying to recover a deer before I even thought about climbing into a stand again. Maybe I should just go into hibernation again.  Just glad my Kansas buck went down within eyesight and with a two blade Eskimo on a wood shaft that left a hell of a great blood trail. Guess I'm too old school in thought and will exit this post as gracefully as I entered. Again congrats on two bucks of a lifetime and I apologize for my sarcasm or negativity that I might have brought.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
ECA,

I grew up and hunted my whole life in states with one buck or one deer/day rules... So I hear where you're coming from.

The gent did point out he was fatigued and likely could have provided more detail regarding he sat down to provide the recommended "wait" on a marginal shot, and in that wait, along comes a horrendous buck which returns begging to be shot...

And in his locale, it was legal to shoot both the same day! Bada bing!

I blanched, but read on a nd see that it's not my gut reaction to 55 yrs of hunting a one buck existence that it was all kosher and he just glossed over the "wait" to do what we'd all do.

I shot 2 deer last deer(s) I shot...closing day... hour apart...doe first, then buck cause the rules changed...I saw where the doe went down, and the buck ran off but it was a great hit!

The work involved would cure me of that as I was alone.  Never again!  I thought I'd puke getting both out of the woods, gutted, then home skinned and processed as it warmed up in PA in mid Nov!

Disgusting.  I'd avoid it only for the work, but I'm old!

There may be lots of lessons learned... but the luck that happened to this chap is outstanding and I applaud his fortune...

Not for some of us due to past conditioning. I think (haven't hunted here in TN yet) but I think we can kill 2 buck a year, but one a day...think that is how it is. Till I find a place to hunt, doesn't matter.

I guess we're all a product of our own past, history and local rules. Hard to back up in this cyber world and embrace that other areas have very different rules and criteria on what's "cool".

I'd not have done it, but am happy it all worked out for this gent!

Rejoice and be glad in it!  Likely a one-time deal!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
The lesson in this is very clear to me, "It's better to be lucky than good" I mean who the hell should let ethics get in the way of your hunt or life in general, no slippery slope there. Old school? Naw, just doing it right..
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©