3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you get over a easy miss  (Read 569 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you get over a easy miss
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
I just got back from Ohio on my dream hunt and I blew a 10yd shot on biggest buck I've had a shot on shot right over his back. I'm still bumming over it. Hunted hard for 4days. It was the first deer I've had in range in 2years its been tough in Michigan ill put it that way.maybe its lack of shooting at live animals
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you get over a easy miss
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
Two things...

one get over a "miss" just like you get over a perfect "hit".  The shot is over and there is nothing you can do about either one.

Two this is the worst now, but the best later...you will never forget that beautiful buck.  It will be a great memory - forever.  I have have shot some nice deer and forgot some details.  I have never forgot a detail of a big buck I missed.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Read your nic. Apply liberally. LOL
God bless, Steve

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
I wouldn't know, I have never, ever missed.   :bigsmyl:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Brandon, if you would have lived through my season this year you would be tickled with your miss.  I've had not 1 but 6 buck in under 20 yds this year, all would have been my biggest bowkill to date with one an easy 140-150 class,  and as it stands it's buck 6 me zero.  I had an 11 yr. kill string going too and now this.  There's 3 days of the season left and I've talked seriously to God and the two of us have decided that it's time to just say thanks for all those painful, yet beautiful memories for this year and start getting ready for next.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
I just laugh at myself.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Turn the page brother it happens to the best of us if you killed em all it wouldn't be hunting!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Its always gonna be hard to get over a miss. And trying to "get over it" will just make it last longer. Accept that its just part and parcel of the game we play, and that without it the perfect hits we make would mean so much less.

Hang in there, anyone who's played this game for long has been in your shoes.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Man that's rough! I missed two coyote in a row last weekend. I'd say it was from lack of experience in shooting at the critters and that they were moving when I shot. Im so used to targets that stand still and haven't had enough practice at moving targets.

Sounds like you have done the right thing by getting into another state. Not that their aren't good hunting opportunities in your state but I I lived in a state like michigan, Maine, NY or Wisconsin with low deer numbers and heavy gun hunting pressure I'd for sure hunt at home hard before gun season but I would plan a trip to another state or Canada with longer bow seasons as a back up and change of scenery. You are so close to some really good hunting that could really extend your season.
In Arkansas you can bowhunting from sept 26-February 28th! Other states offer really liberal seasons as well.

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm only 4 seasons in to trad and I shot a doe my first but since then no shot opportunies until Monday morning. Its hard to believe but its the truth.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
If, at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Be thankful you missed. A bad hit will haunt you for a long time. Live and learn, it happens. Twenty years ago I missed five different bucks in a week. Bottom line is I didn't pick a spot. I thought I did but at the last split second I broke my concentration to see if they saw me drawing. I was real close and on the ground. Lesson learned, pick a spot then pick a hair and then pick the root of the hair and never take your eye off it until the arrow hits.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
I always feel lucky to get a shot at a good buck. Apply what you learned from this experience and start working toward the next chance.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
It's just like in golf, you have to shake it off or else the next shot will be just as bad or worse. It sucks, but life goes on.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
I was initially after a very large non-typical this year, but hunting pressure was taking the fun out of it, so I shot a lesser buck while still hunting.  I hit my arm on a broken branch while drawing on an 8 pointer. In Hill/Schulz terms 'the bow hand rises slightly faster than the drawing arm'.  That was the point where I hit my arm on a broken branch and let the string slip. I lobbed the arrow over the 8 pointer when he was only 15 feet from me.  The other Hill/Schulz axiom, 'the ability to get that second arrow out of the quiver and onto the string, will pay off in bowhunting'.  It did.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Wow a miss is better then a bad hit and lost deer. Keep shooting maybe your next opportunity will turn out different.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
I hunted with two friends in Colorado, elk hunt.  Both used high tech, high dollar, geared out compounds, because they want every chance to make good on any elk opportunity that they get.  I watched them shoot at camp.   Wow......

At the end of the day ( week) both of them missed shots.  One of them THREE times at the same bull, at under 35 yards.  He used a rangefinder, had cool calm shots, and missed with two and cut his leg ( enough to cause us to lose a day following a nearly non existent and very short blood trail) with one.

It happens to the best of them.  Shake it off is all you can do.  You aren't alone, or bad.

CHuckC

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Make no bones about it..the only sure kill is when you have your arms around it. Get on that saddle again...I had too.. Good luck!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
This past weekend I made a perfect shot on a doe at 15 yards. She was down in 35 yards. An hour later I blew a shot at a very nice buck at 13 yards. Man was I bummed.
Then I just went back to hunting waiting for the next opportunity and thanking God for the one he gave me.
Shake it off, get back out there
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
You must learn to laugh at your self . Lock and load and be ready for the next .
That's the difference between hunting and just killing . Things happen , enjoy the experience .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©