3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to Trad  (Read 535 times)

Offline TradTX

• Trad Bowhunter
New to Trad
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'd like to thank you all for letting me join your group. I've found it to be the best Trad forum available for me to use. I'm a rifle hunter currently and really want to go back to the more traditional ways of hunting. I've discovered traditional hunting through the magazine"Traditional Bowhunter" and am very excited about it. I've never bow hunted at all and have a lot to learn. If I could be directed to beginner articles and equipment I should pick up I would be very grateful. Thank you for your help, I look forward to going this community.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to Trad
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Welcome, a better group of people you will be hard pressed to find.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
If you can, attend a Rod Jenkins clinic.  If you can't, get a copy of the DVD "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III".  Either will save you lots of money in the long run, and shave years off the learning curve.

Good luck!

Chad

Online abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
TradTx, where are you located in Michigan??
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Here is a good run down of the basics to get you started....   http://tradgang.com/docs/trad.html  

I am pretty much in the same boat, you will learn a ton on here. Just search for stuff that crosses your mind, and maybe keep scrap paper to write search terms down so that you member to refer to tradgang for more info.

That reminds me I have to pick up the new issue of TBM
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline TradTX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Abbatoys, I'm currently located in East Lansing. Thanks everyone for the links and dvds to checks out. They will be purchased!

Offline TradTX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
In terms of beginner gear (bows, arrows, quivers, targets) what should I be looking for?

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Welcome from Pa. This site is filled with very knowledgable archers willing to help others out and steer then in the right direction.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Depends on your budget.  The Samick Sage or Journey is a good bow at a great price, but the string that comes with them is pretty lousy.  An easy fix.  Armguard, arrows, points, target, tab or glove, and a source for good, proven instruction.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
get on the classifieds here! They are excellent and you can buy a used bow for significantly less than a new custom.

Offline TradTX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks gents! I'll start soaking in all the info I can.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
welcome!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
x2 on the Sage. Start at a lower weight. If you have never shot a bow, start at about 30lbs and work on proper form. Take it at a slow pace. Learn more slowly and deliberately rather than cramming more into your time at the string to get from point A to point D quickly.

You're in a good spot. Lots of Michiganers on here and near you to help you along face to face.

Welcome.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline TradTX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will look into the Sage as my first bow. It seems like something I can work with and learn technique without breaking the bank. I'm learning a lot and having fun. Once I get the bow I'll get some arrows and get to work..

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by mlsthmpsn:
Here is a good run down of the basics to get you started....    http://tradgang.com/docs/trad.html    

I am pretty much in the same boat, you will learn a ton on here. Just search for stuff that crosses your mind, and maybe keep scrap paper to write search terms down so that you member to refer to tradgang for more info.

That reminds me I have to pick up the new issue of TBM
Great link for this "returning" newbie.  Thanks for posting.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
First off - Welcome!  This community and this site are great!  Chad (LBR) is too modest to toot his own horn so I will do it for him.  If whatever bow you get comes with a less than desirable string, contact him for a new one.  His strings are top notch.
Also, if your in Michigan, then plan on attending the Kalamazoo Trad Expo (kzoo) coming up in Jan 2016.  Great show and tons of trad bows for you to try. I feel like a kid in candy store every time I go. You can find info on kzoo on the Great Northern Bow Quiver web site or just google it.

Welcome again and may all your hunts be successful!

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
TradTX and mlsthmpsn,
Welcome to TradGang!!

You've got some great advice.  As meatCKR mentions, you owe it to yourself to go to Kzoo.  It's too close to you in the middle of the winter to pass up.  Lots of equipment to check out and you can meet some great people and may even make a new friendship with a mentor.  

homebru

Offline TradTX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the support guys. I will be checking out that expo.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
Welcome from Missouri!  I think that the expo would be the place to start figuring out what all you want.... nothing beats "hands on" when trying to find what's right for you.

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©