3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the Best Way to Find Hunting Mentor  (Read 351 times)

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the Best Way to Find Hunting Mentor
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Ok maybe this is a silly question and I guess this isn't a problem for most of the hunter-to-be's in this forum who already have family members or friends who hunt. I would like to know how to find a hunting mentor to get started since none of my friends or family hunts.

I regularly go to an outdoor range but most of the archers I see are target archers if not all of them, but definitely all the ones using stickbows. Would it help if I go to some club 3D shoots? How did you get acquainted with bowhunters who can mentor?

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the Best Way to Find Hunting Mentor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
I was very lucky to be brought up in a hunting family. I can still remember my grandpa telling my " Remember the kill is a lil extra bonus but the reward is being out there an enjoying what God created for us and spending time with family and friends".

If i were you get out to them 3D shoots and make some new friends. After you get to know some guys and shoot with them, let them know you want to try hunting and see if they would be willing to help you out. Good luck and hope you find a mentor.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Join local  hunting forums and begin hunting WMAs. Sooner or later you will find someone looking for a hunting partner. If finances allow join a lease?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
You won't find a better organization to join, if you are serious about hunting AND looking for a mentor, than this one...(click the link)

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=146847
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Danshao,

It would help if you narrowed down where in the world you are.

Check down in the forum further for activities by state.  Attend a few shoots.

Put a bumper-sticker on your car of a Traditional Bowhunting magazine or forum you belong to.  I have even been "excused" of doing 72 mph in a 55 mph region because I had a Traditional Bowhunter decal in my window - and met a nice like-minded sheriff!

If you can get to a stump shooting gathering you will meet traditional bowhunters.  Much more-so than 3-D shoots.

I had the great good fortune of meeting a fellow small-boat sailor at a local lake that turned out to be a champion archer and very successful bowhunter.  I'd actually known him several years before we learned we were bowhunters.  Made all the difference in my traditional bowhunting.  He was 15 years older and became my adoptive uncle (none of my family hunted but we did have a few archers).  Lost him 13 years ago and it still hurts.  He's the one that gave me the camp name "Stumpkiller".
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
its one of the toughest things in this obsession- trying to find the perfect hunting partner. someone you can really spend time with- think alike- and hunt well together.
just keep trying!- sorry i know thats lame- but thats all i have!

awesome advice above in all the responses.
 cheers
wayne

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Danshao,

some food for thought, what is a mentor?
Mentor - an experienced and trusted adviser.  

You wont find a better place to find a mentor than right where you are.  No, they may not be able to help you out face to face, but there is a plethora of information on this site.  I have found my "mentor" to be asking the gang or doing a search of previous pow wow questions.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:11:00 AM »
Thanks you guys for the kind advices!

Sounds like the club shoots to be a good starting point. I just have to try not to suck too much as to embarrass myself at the shoots lol.

Jokes aside it's moments like this that make me feel this is a great place to get all kinds of helpful info. An awesome community where I feel at home really!

(btw if any of you live in the bay area CA pls feel free to shoot me a pm)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »
Dan I am in the Bay Area and may be able to hook you up. PM or email me and let me know where you are. I too grew up in a non hunting family and know what you are up against.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:  

:shaka:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Just my own personal opinion here but this is what we have lost by loosing the local hunting store/ archery shop. You no longer just meet the people you used to become friends with by visiting at the shop.

Tradgang and other more local forums will help. 3D shoots. And certainly there is a local CA trad hunting group. But unfortunately the demise of our hunting store culture has made it harder for new people to get involved. And in fact to find land and etc.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Check out the PBS (Link that Mike Vines put up) best fraternal organization of bowhunters around. I've personally hunted with 3 already, and haven't been a member all that long
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©