3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Shafts..... Your Suggestions?  (Read 366 times)

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Shafts..... Your Suggestions?
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
As far as Wood Spine charts all I can find are referencing Fast Flight? Tried the search tool here. Apparently my keywords are off, or I have to much written in the search bar. IDK.  

What would you recommend for 55# Hoyt Huntmater as far as wood (POC) shafting goes?    Drawing @27"

I am thinking 55-60?  I would like to shoot 125 gr head and 28-29" arrow but that will all depend on tuning. Just need a starting place for a 1/2 dozen.

I am not wanting a bunch of shafts, just a few to see if I like them and can get them tuned.  Could go the test set way, but to me it is easier to get close and tune point weight and length if possible.

Thanks
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Shafts..... Your Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Steve at Surewood can fix you up with wood arrows. His Doug Fir is some of the best and he will steer you in the right direction.  I believe he has test kits as well, but not real sure.

I'm not really familar with that Hoyt model but do believe it is cut to center or close to it.  You could probably go stiffer on the arrows, but I think you are close considering weight up from, bow weight, and your draw.
Lon Scott

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks.  I am not sure I will even like wood arrows.  I have a bunch of test carbons and some alum at different spines, lengths and point weight from over the years.  Just wanting a few wood to try out.  Was wanting something that would be tunable or close to try a few.  Waiting on a new string before I can take it on a test run. Shooting B50 BTW.
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
I shoot them all ..... Wood, carbon and aluminum...anyone who shoots trad has to shoot wood at some point..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
I,m shooting 55-60 sitka and surewoods out of a 45# Schafer Silvertip. If I were you I would go 60-65 especially if bow is cut past center.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Whats ur draw length string material and point weight maxwell?
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I shoot them all Wood, carbon and aluminum...anyobe who shoots trad has to shoot wood at some point..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
I'd try 65/70's cut to 28" bop if the bow is cut to center. I've got some made up. If you want to try one or two let me know.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I'm a life-long wood shooter and have gone from POC to Douglas fir.  Though I still have more than a hundred POC hanging around.

I shoot 30-3/4" BOP and use up 29-1/2" for my draw.  At 29" you might be able to get away with the 55/60.  Release technique and the bow riser geometry can be more or less forgiving.

The rules of thumb I remember are to add 5# of spine for every inch of length over 28" and 5# for every 30 gr over 125 gr head.

I'd recommend you first get a set of try-shafts of 55/60, 60/65 and 65/70 spines and see what flies best with a target point and either no fletch or fletched.  THEN start ordering up your spine that works best.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 03:40:00 AM »
the problem with charts is they are fluid, not as specific as a normal person would like....say that's a 5/16 hole so get a 5/16 bolt.   Charts may or may not get you in the park.  

In the wood arrow world fluid is true.  bows are different, shooters are different, how you have it setup etc etc...and if you're not careful the shafts you're buying can be out.   Its all a fluid game, what SHOULD be the right spine isn't always what IS the arrow in the end.  Don't loose any sleep over it....find it, be happy and drive on!  doesn't matter what shaft material you're shooting.   Once you buy from a supplier, buy from them always!  Or buy/build a spine tester (which if you stay with woods I'd highly recommend)!

Next we run into consistency on shaft suppliers.  Case in point I was buying some awesome POC tapered shafts, only to find out our spine testers were not calibrated the same.  It was only a few pounds, but it showed in some applications, my go to bow I had down to a 2lb group for hunting.  The other 3lbs of spine were my small game and target arrows.  That bow was a hummer, its a shame its hanging on the wall these days!  IF (when) I swapped suppliers, a 65 wasn't a 65, it was a 62 on my tester, without knowing that I'd have had some issues with broadheads at distance (though I only hunt to 30 I used to practice to 50, mostly for fun, but to check form as well)....flustering IF you don't have a spine tester!   most are pretty close.   And ALL are can be calibrated easily using known deflections!  

Wood arrows are a love hate relationship....you'll love to hate them and hate to love them.  There's a lot of tools most you can make you'll WANT (not always NEED) for building a quality set IF you go that route.  A good crester, spine tester, grain scales, feather burners, taper tools, jigs for single or barrel tapering shafts (if you don't buy them that way)....don't get me started with paints/sealers.   Its a LOT of fun, and can be a LOT of frustrating times, thankfully most guys are pretty open with their ideas on here and their systems.   A lot of these tools you can buy down the road, some you'll likely need early on.   A tapering jig of some kind, and a cut off tool of some kind (dremel jig works well)   The rest are not needed right out of the gate...you'll need the large dip tube for sealing as well.   Shorties are for dipping your caps.

Target burn is something you're not likely used too, and many others aren't these days mainly due to the mediums they shoot into.  A block doesn't produce near the target burn a compress fiber bale does with similar finishes.   HARD finishes (epoxy being number 1) produce little to none...where a water based poly will blow you're mind in the fiber bales.   Bars of soap become common tools in  your backquiver lol.

Don't over look them, they are easily tuneable just as much as carbon or aluminum.

Ever since Easton went after the federal excise tax and jacked arrow shaft prices sky high buying quality shafts for cheap has become tough.   The days of 50c shafts or so are gone!   I was buying fletched ready to shoot shafts at a buck a pop, good stuff back when I started this game.   And that's by no means cheap compared to some of the old timers on here when Acme was in their hayday!  

This is the main issue with wood...cost compared to alum and carbon vs durability.  you have to really WANT to shoot wood!  I myself will likely never make the swap to carbon/aluminum, just not my cup o tea.  

As for spines, I think stumpkiller nailed the 3 I'd try...though I'd guess its going to be somewhere in the 60-70lb range. you may need the 70-75's....depends on how well you shoot.

I used to have a set of test shafts laying around, think I still do...if you can't find something yell.  My hunting rooms a mess going through stuf to sell right now.   I'm not sure the lengths, I used to have one ever 1/2" from 26-full length in the 40-70lb spine groups.   Made tuning people fast and easy!  Simple change of tips or length adjustments and you'd be done fast.  

Get ready for a ride!  it's an awesome one...I've been shoot woods since I was a kid...I'm by no means old, but I wouldn't trade it for any alum/carbon on the market!  To each their own.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
Very informative.  Thanks
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Alot of good info given! I would take Snag up on his offer, too!

The original Huntmasters were Fast Flight compatible, and good shooters. What type rest you shooting?  Cut past center, should be able to shoot varied spine.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Off the shelf.
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division