3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two days, two deer, one arrow  (Read 443 times)

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Two days, two deer, one arrow
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Missouri's firearms deer season started this past Saturday (11/14/15) and I decided to get a bit more bowhunting in before the Orange Army hit the woods so I took off Thursday and Friday to do so. I got to my farm in south-central Missouri Wednesday afternoon where Dad awaited me with open arms and hot food. The weather for the next few days was going to be prime and I was really excited about my chances of adding more meat to my freezer. Not that I really needed it, though. I had gotten lucky enough to kill a moose with my longbow in September so anything else would just be icing on the cake.

I hunted Thursday morning on the high ridge behind our barn. There is an old logging loading ground up there at the north end and a big oak flat that the deer and turkeys just love to feed in. On either side of the flat is a hollow steeper than a horse's face. Not 15 minutes after shooting light, I see a little 9-pointer coming my way. He is halfheartedly chasing a doe and I figure I will shoot whichever one gives me the first chance. Well, neither one of them gave me a great opportunity and I let them both pass without tightening the string. I am using my Lucky Arrow that I killed my moose with. I thought the arrow was lost during that hunt but my guide miraculously found it four days later. With a little soap and water and a broadhead touchup, it was good as new.

After another 15 minutes, a doe and a fawn come in to the loading ground and I, again, am not picky about who to shoot at. The doe finally gives me a pretty good shot at 15 yards and I send my lucky arrow her direction. Unfortunately, she turns just as I shoot and as she runs off down into Tater Cave Holler, I am sickened by the sight of my arrow falling out of her off side angling front-to-back instead of back-to-front. She disappears from my sight and I mark the spot with some landmarks. I know that I've just gut shot this deer and the rest of the day is going to be a long one. I wait 20 minutes or so in the stand and am given a glimmer of hope when I catch a glimpse of the fawn at the spot where I last saw the doe. Maybe she is down after all? I decide to get down and tentatively check out the blood trail. I find my arrow with gut material on it and I start feeling dread again. To make a long story short, though, I find the deer right where I though she was. I hit her liver square on and she died while I watched, although I didn't know that at the time. The relief I feel is immense and I give thanks to the doe's spirit for the meat she will provide.

Now the job is dragging her out of the holler. It is 200 yards straight up to the closest place I can get my truck. But with some rope, some sweat and a little cussing I manage to get the job done. She is gutted and hung up in the barn yard and I clean my lucky arrow and put it back into service. Tomorrow is another day and another hunt.

Friday morning is crisp and cold and you can almost reach out, grab the air and break a piece off. I hunt at the south end of our farm at a place we call the Deer Turnaround. There is an old skid trail that goes about halfway up the ridge down there and my dad has a food plot and salt lick at the end of it where you can turn a truck around. Deer are everywhere and I have to kick the turkeys out of the way just to get to them! I have several close encounters but no shots are fired. At around 9:00 am, a doe and button buck come to the salt lick and mess around. The button separates from his mom and stands about 20 yards in front of me. It's cold so I draw on him just to loosen my muscles up. He then proceeds to scratch his offside with his head giving me a shot that is too good to pass up. I let the arrow go and watch him run down the hillside with it sticking out of both of his sides. In a little while, Momma goes looking for her baby and I see her hanging around the spot where I had last seen him. That is a good sign! I take a compass reading on the spot, get down and head that direction. I find the little feller in short order but this time my arrow did not survive the encounter. I do find my broadhead so all is not lost. Again, I give thanks to the deer's spirit and prepare for the work ahead.

The drag I get to do is downhill this time and I have him hanging up next to the other one in no time at all.

On Sunday, I shot the little 9-pointer that I saw on Thursday with my flintlock rifle but that is another story for another forum. Life is good!

Darren

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two days, two deer, one arrow
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Congrats!  Lots of good eating for this winter!     :clapper:

Bernie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Awesome!

Congrats on your success!

Bisch

Offline ebeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
Great job!  Congrats!
Eric Beard

“A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” -Fred Bear

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
Nice!  Better get that lucky broadhead mounted again soon!
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Congratulations!    :thumbsup:  
You are having a Heck of a hunting year.    :notworthy:  
I'll look forward to reading about the other deer on that "other" forum...   ;)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
now that's getting it done! congratts!   :thumbsup:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
Glad it all worked out well!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
Congrats, sounds like a good week.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Good job..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Ity sure would be cool to have multiple tags and a target rich environment like that... We only get one tag per year unless you get lucky and hit a drawing.

Congrats on the deer brutha... Great picks & story.    :clapper:      :clapper:

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Good deal, congrats to you.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Way to go,Darren.
Having a banner year.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Congrats to you! Great job!

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Way to go Darren! Your going to be eating Good,with the moose meat and deer!
        Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Well done , Congrats...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Daren,

good to see you post...MO, huh? considered the Ozark area couple years ago along with Ozarks of AR but decided against...

Now in TN, things are NOT showing much local hunting---yet.  Hopefully, I'll get to know some areas.

Great story.  Nice to see home spun tales of just backyard type hunts..far away exotics are nice, too, but the regular "back 40" type get me going!

Congrats!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©