3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MAACP hunt and learning tough lessons  (Read 277 times)

Offline Randy Strickland

• Trad Bowhunter
MAACP hunt and learning tough lessons
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
As I stated in a post before the season started, this is my first year hunting with traditional equipment. What I didn't mention was that I am fairly new to hunting all together. My father did not hunt. He didn't have the patience. My grandfather did not hunt. He too....no patience.

But the outdoors......I can't resist it. So, a few years ago I purchased my first compound bow at a garage sale for 60 bucks and a wish. A wish that would go completely unfulfilled. I never took a deer with that bow. I had a couple of shots, but I either froze or missed.

So this year, after purchasing a Shrew Classic from one of the trad faithful here, I embarked on my first season with a longbow. It's been memorable. I've had opportunities, but no shots. I passed on a small fork and horn about a month ago. I did kill an armadillo the same night I passed on the small buck, but the little jerk broke my arrow (lesson learned there).

Luckily though, I drew in to the MAACP hunt this year. I have been excited about this trip all year. A number of us from our church drew in on the same weekend, TSALT and others. I got to see a couple of stud bucks get brought in to camp which was very exciting. I also had a couple of close encounters during my weekend.

It started opening morning with a small 8 point working his way toward my stand. The rain from the previous day made his approach almost silent. When he emerged, head down sniffing for the ladies, I decided right away that I was not going to shoot him. His bases were very thin and his 3's were only little spikes. I knew I would not be mounting him if I killed him, so I decided to wait. Everyone wants to shoot a massive, stud buck like Logan, (BTW, nice deer man, that thing is beautiful) but I know that if I kill a buck that's 2 and a half or three and a half, he'll never get to mature into that awesome, once in a lifetime deer. So, I was content to watch as this buck roughed up a small cedar tree like it said something cross about his momma. It was a show! That evening, a doe came in on the exact path that small buck did earlier in the day, but as she came in toward me, she suddenly lifted her head and looked right at me. Busted. She ran about 10 yards behind some brush in to safety and blew for a solid 3-4 minutes, letting the entire woods know where I was and that I was not to be trusted.

Next day was uneventful. In the morning I saw one buck through some brush, grunting and chasing the wind, but never a shot. The group I was hunting with decided that we would change locations as I was the only one of the four seeing deer. So we loaded up and relocated to a place beside a creek with distinct crossings and definite sign. Two of the guys in my group had hunted this location before and had encounters with several deer. The location looked great, but the afternoon proved uneventful. Morning of our final day came. It was the coolest morning of the weekend and conditions were perfect. I was in my stand and anxious for the morning. I watched my crossings like a hawk, waiting for any sign of movement. Then, at about 8:30 I see movement out of the corner of my eye. A big bodied doe was coming in from my left, behind me from a crossing I hadn't even seen. She was in great position for a shot. With my bow already in hand, I stood to take a shot. As my fingers reached the string, another movement caught my eye. A smaller doe was following. They were both just looking for food, snacking on the occasional acorn. As I was distracted by the second deer, the first one had moved into a place where I had no shot, directly behind me. My eyes went back to her. She was the deer. The excitement was elevated by the prospects of the quality pass. Harvesting a doe grants you automatic entry to the hunt next year on the same weekend. I was ready.

All the sudden, in the distance to my right, a squirrel makes a ruckus and a sizable tree limb falls to the ground. The doe gets spooked and run back toward the creek and starts blowing in the direction of the noise. The smaller doe has now moved more to my left and presented herself perfectly broadside at about 15 yards. I had a shooting window, but it was small. With the larger doe out of range and blowing, I knew my chance might disappear, so I picked my spot, tightened the string and let my arrow fly. The impact was fairly quiet (I guess I was expecting something else, I don't know. You always hear that thwack sound on the hunting shows when the arrow hits, but whatever). She bucked and then ran about 50-60 straight and then cut to the right out of sight. I was jacked. As I started reliving the shot, I was worried I my shot was a little back....and a little high. My window was small, but I had her vitals in view. It wasn't an irresponsible shot, but the doubt started creeping in. Texting my friends, I was excited, but nervous. They reassured me as they asked me questions about the encounter.

I wasn't able to track the deer until over two hours had past. I was hunting within close enough proximity to my friends that I did not want to ruin their hunt. Plus, why turn down free help, right? So, a little after 10:30 we climbed down and began looking for the deer. We found no blood at the point of impact. None. Which was surprising to me as the broad head was visibly sticking out her other side at impact. The fletching end of my arrow was broken off about 30 yards away from the spot I shot her. There was blood on the arrow, but still no trail. Another 30 yards and I finally found the first drops. The first of only five I found. The blood was fresh, but it was dark. Time kept ticking away. We had to be back at our trucks at noon and we still had our stands to pull down and a 20 minute hike out of the woods.

If you've made it this far in my story, I won't prolong the outcome any longer. I don't know where the heck that deer is. I don't know if she is dead or alive. I do know that the pit in my stomach still aches, even 8 days later. I hate knowing that I shot a deer and I didn't recover her. I wish I would've been more accurate with my arrow. On the days I remember I STILL haven't taken any deer with a bow, compound or traditional, I wish I would've taken a shot at that small buck on day one. But that feeling quickly goes away when I think about the buck that will one day cross my path that will make for one amazing trophy and picture to share with you all. Hunting is hard. I learned a lot on this trip. I asked a lot of questions of hunters way more experienced than myself. I had an amazing time with God's creation and with the people he placed on it.

Thanks for having this forum. I felt like I needed to write out my story because maybe somebody is on the same boat as me...a greenhorn looking for his first harvest. We get to read so many stories of the kills and the successes. But hunting is freaking hard!! (Am I allowed to say freaking?) Thanks for reading and good luck out there in the woods. The season is still young!

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MAACP hunt and learning tough lessons
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
Stay positive and don't quit trying for your first successful harvest.  It'll come.  Sounds like you learned a lot from your weekend at Big Mac.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Persist!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
That's a freakin' long story!   :smileystooges:    :biglaugh:    
It's going to happen soon!  I can feel it!!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline old bucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
How do you put in for this hunt.

Thanks Sam

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
Sam the deadline in May 15 each year. You go to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife website , starts in April if I remember correctly. You will need a nonresident Oklahoma hunting license to apply. You will have three top choice picks beginning the second weekend in October , ending this past weekend. Usually the later the better hunting. Its tightly controlled since its a active military base. You report on Thursday for a briefing, then they let you scout to prepared a stand. Hunts starts Friday ends at noon on Sunday.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Don't worry it will happen sooner or later, the wait is worth it. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
I feel your pain. Though I haven't ever made a shot connect on a deer at all...

I have only taken one with my rifle, and there was a period of time that I couldn't find her. So I DO know the feeling, although my story ended with a better outcome.

I still try every chance I get for my first archery kill, and although I get frustrated at times, I do still believe that when it's supposed to happen, it will. I believe the same for you.

It sounds to me that you are on the right path, you just need to get Tsalt to be your "guide", cuz it sure seems like he knows what he's freakin' doing!    :biglaugh:

We should all get together some time, seein' as we're in such close proximity...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©