3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: camo vs. flannel  (Read 1839 times)

Offline derron hollenbacher

• Trad Bowhunter
camo vs. flannel
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
what do you all think about the camo out there today? i have very mixzed feelings since my dad sees more deer close to him on the ground sqirrel hunting in blue jeans and a red flannel than i do deer hunting. i decided to go all traditional with no camo this year and strickly on the ground.

anybody else do this or am i totally crazy

thanks,

bacher

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: camo vs. flannel
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
DO a search on camo and flannel and you'll get all the pics and threads you can stand to read.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
The only camo worth buying is ASAT or Predator, their bold pattern realy break up your sillouette. The rest is no better than a good earth tone plaids. I like the plaids my self. The ultimate is a Ghili suit, I'd like to try one of those.

Eric

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
I have used earth tone plaids for years. I usually stalk or make a ground blind. So far the deer have looked right at me without spooking.

Offline David Hewitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Did the samething this year.  Took a doe last Friday night about 15 yards away.  Was wearing a green/gray flannel, OD green cargo pants and a plain old ball cap.  The wind was perfect and the set up couldn't have been any better.  Been out several times and have yet to be busted.

Woody

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
I like camo.  But now that I know it's not traditional I might hafta reevaluate  :)

Deer see movement and big blotches.  Stay still and break up the blothes and you will see deer.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I am using camo now, but have also wondered about trying plaids.  Looks like I need to give it a try later this fall.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
I stopped using camo several years ago. I've still never killed a deer but I've been super close several times. One time, a small buck meandered behind me as I was on the ground about 8 feet away. I could hear him breathing. He was too small for the restrictions in the area so I knew I couldn't shoot him. I waited until he was right on top of me and then I turned around. You could see the surprise in his eyes when he realized I was there. It was a blast!

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Does anyone have a source for heavy wool plaid shirts in TALL sizes.  I have looked high & low over the past couple years & can't find any.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Brent
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Brent----I use a Swanndri bush shirt in green abd it is AWESOME. Comfortable, quiet, dry, and warm.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
Ephram,

I'be been a shopper at Cabela's for years for the plaid shirts. Pendleton makes a good shirt and so does Woolrich.  Check their websites.   Also, G.Fred's wife makes a wonderful wool plaid hunting shirt.  With plaid and jeans,  I can go from hunting to the store/restaurant without looking like I was ever hunting,

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Ephram, Filson has tall shirts. They are a little pricey, but nice shirts

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
I,ll probably get hammered but here it goes anyway, It is not so much what your wearing but how you move, If you got deer close everymovement you make better be in real slow motion, watch the cat and try to copy this, If you make quick movements I don,t care if you have the best guille you will be pegged.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Camo here. Very light weight camo it is still way to hot for anything other than very thin clothing... I have the asat leafy suit that fits on nicely over a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. If it ever get's cold it will fit on over some heavier clothing as well.... Blessings to you
Blessings,
Steve

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 05:29:00 AM »
I think the spirit of the hunt is in your heart and mind. Not type casted by what you have on.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
Dan I don't think anyone here is going to hammer you. Not here!

Think about this, the way we spot MOST things is by their movement, squirrels, deer, rabbits, even brightly colored birds.  Same for the critters we chase, if they can't smell us, if we're not skylined, they pretty much need to see us move before they can zero in on us. This is you're wearing a t shirt and jeans, plaid, Jerdans realtree or a ghillie.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
I am going more & more to plaids, but my cammo is ASAT or Predator Fall grey. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Brent, you might try C.C. Filson or Woolrich for wool in tall sizes. Both are very high quality. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Eighteen years ago when I started hunting I was newly married and could'nt afford to buy any camo.  I hunted in jeans and red or grey flannel shirts.  When it got cold I just wore my barn coat.  I've shot all my animals wearing jeans.  After I was divorced and had money (I know it does'nt make sense) I bought all kinds of camo shirts and jackets but still prefer a new pair of dark blue jeans.  When it gets cold now I break out the wool,  But I really felt more comfy in the flannel than camo.

Just my two cents.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
2 days in a row i have worn brown/black plaid shirt and black jeans. yesterday a doe at 7 yards, today a doe at 3 yards. CONTAIN MOVEMENT, by far the best camo!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©