3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on the state of new yorks deer herd  (Read 541 times)

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on the state of new yorks deer herd
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Now that another bow season is behind us I was wondering what were the thoughts of other New Yorkers on the management policies of our state. I'm also interested in knowing if you think the numbers have remained steady or are they on the decline. Here in region 8 I was talking to a local DEC official last year and asked him why I'm not seeing the deer numbers that I used to see around town or on my hunting property he told me the numbers were way off and that they were trying to bring them way down. It almost seems like the state has waged an all out war on does and is now managing for bucks only this is evident from their doe only policy for the first two weeks of the season. I don't have a problem taking a doe when there is a surplus but I cant justify shooting one when I can hunt for a week straight with out seeing one and this is on property that I used to count 30 -40 different does on any given day.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on the state of new yorks deer herd
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Region 7- I haven't seen a deer in 9 days and I hunt on private property.  The DEC gives out to many nuisance permits to farmers and land owners in my opinion.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
My immediate area appears to be slightly less than what we've known in the past. But the  large herds that so many folks miss, while admittedly very rewarding to hunt, were probably too high of a deer capacity for most properties.

I remember hunting with my father when I was too young to participate, deer were everywhere, 100s in some fields. This is only good for hunters, not deer or non hunting landowners.

To me it appears to be a nationwide trend. Too many deer for too long had adverse impact on a lot of ecosystems. Just look at all of the animal and bird species we are seeing in NY as new. Fisher cats, Sandhill cranes, moose, bobcats where once they were rare. I think its because of more vegetation and brush due to fewer deer. And Lyme disease, probably in part due to too many deer. I don't remember seeing ticks as kid, anywhere in NY.

I live to deer hunt and while I enjoy seeing high numbers, I don't think its healthy for the overall environment. This has been the goal of many game management agencies for the last two or three decades. While I wouldn't want to see fewer deer, Im happy with what I see now as long as what we have now can be maintained.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
I recently posted that some Watershed Proerties here in the southern zone seem to be off this season as well. We would normally see 3-4 deer a morning. I've only seen 1 deer on stand so far all season. I know this land gets hammered but it has never been this bad. I've actually seen more coyotes then deer.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
For me in western NY the last 3 years in a row have been tough, this year was better than 2013/2014 but still low. I went 14 hunts in a row without seeing a deer from a stand/ hunting spot then I started to see them and really only at one location and that was state land. Here in region 9 there is plenty of food for them. I agree the nuisance permits has put the whammy on the deer. My buddy hunts almost every day and went from seeing 90-100 deer a year to 40 in one year when the local dairy farmer killed 35 nuisance does.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
I think numbers change from area to area with some areas having high numbers but not huntable land and huntable land with lower numbers.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
This year I've seen more deer, more bucks, and older bucks than ever before. It's been getting better it seems for a few years. That's in 4S Greene county. Doe permits are very hard to get. I'm up to 3 or 4 preference points now on DMPs from trying for a tag there (not that it matters for bow season but just as an indicator of DECs desired doe take).

This is my experience from one small piece of private land, in a very wooded, and largely unharmed block.

Cheers!

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
This has been the slowest year I remember. 17 hunts, saw deer 6 of them. Less deer around my home as well, where hunting is not allowed. Not sure why. Sure there are nuisance permits, and in 8N they hand out doe permits like candy, but I believe it is more than that. The landscape has not changed, the food sources appear to be the same. Perhaps it was last years long winter, but something is different.

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
After going to the town clerk today and buying 2 more dmp permits I now have a total of 6 dmps 4 for 8h that I will not fill and 2 for 8n. If given the opportunity I will take a doe in 8n which has thousands of acres of state land and a lot of agriculture.

I feel that if I don't use the 8h tags then I can help in my small way to help get the herd back to a reasonable numbers that we had just a couple of years ago. My neighbor and his group of guys are all big gun hunters and they are doing the same thing with their dmps.

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Brian what area of 8n are you hunting? I was going to try my luck around Hemlock lake , I was going to boat over and hunt the western side hill.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
I have seen a fair number of deer even on properties I have never seen them before.  I have only been hunting NY for 6 or 7 years but I wouldn't know if this year is better or worse than any other year.

I've spent most of the season trying to get away from other hunters, pretty soon I think I will have it narrowed down. Experience has told me where I hunt, avoid other people and see deer.  

I have actually been getting more deer on trail cameras than previous years.

Although I disagree with NY's management practices, especially the doe only season for 2 weeks, I have not noticed any difference in numbers in my short time hunting here.

I should add, except for certain areas, I feel like the population was always low.  I know I could drive an hour in most directions from my house and be into better deer numbers, and on occasion I do.  Usually those trips account for most of my deer sightings.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
In the lower portion of the southern Zone around area 3P it has been slow for the past two seasons for me. In 3M it was not terrible this year but I'd say for sure the overall numbers are lower. The state seems to be managing it that way.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
WMU 7P - seeing a LOT of doe and antlerless but few antlered deer (two since mid Oct - a four & a six point).  That includes deer seen from the car in the AM & PM.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:00 AM »
Most years I can count on one hand how many days I get skunked.  This year I can almost count on one hand how many days I saw deer.    My cameras are also showing less deer. I hunt both private land and public and pressure this year has been higher than in the past.  My friends also tell me they're discouraged at the few sightings they've had.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
I had a lot more action early on in the Catskill region than I did in Nov in Westchester Co. I've heard other hunters say they've noticed low numbers the last few years, now I'm starting to notice it.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
I hunt Long island and we have a lot of deer down here but this year I am not seeing as many as I usually do. I think with the amazing acorn crop this year they just aren't moving as much.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
I agree Mint.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I hunt northern upstate & the numbers are down for sure. We have had a couple of really bad winters & that has hurt. Where I hunt in the southern zone the deer numbers have been down for several years. Izzy is right.... Better for the herd but not for hunters. The insurance companies drive the management of the deer as much as biology.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
*Hard winter
*Crossbows
*Rifles
*Doe Permits Everywhere
*DEC catering to Farmers/Ins. Companies
*Syracuse, Ithaca and Fayetteville complain too many deer-however no access for hunters-DUH!!
*Nuisance permits
= Low Deer numbers in Huntable Areas

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
AMEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©