3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on the state of new yorks deer herd  (Read 542 times)

Re: Opinions on the state of new yorks deer herd
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Not seeing deer is not an accurate way of judging the size or health of the herd IMHO. I hunted most of October and all of November archery season here in the southern zone (4F) and saw the fewest deer I've seen in years. Last year was spectacular with a heavy acorn crop which drew deer like a magnet. In September this year they were all over the place, deer in every field as I drove home from work each day, and more than ever.

Then came October, the warmest on record I am told and they just disappeared! Remember, 50 degrees to a deer with a winter coat is way too warm, not to mention 65 or 70!. There were no rubs, no scrapes opening, none of the usual stuff in the usual places. Then came last Sunday (I think it was the 15th). The temperature was down below 30 and it was frosty! Suddenly, scrapes and chasing. Then it warmed up again and the rest of the week was a bust.

I think that nobody, including the DEC, has a way to know what we have out there. There are so many factors influencing the herd in any given year. Food sources change, the encroachment of people, and this year, the weather. There was so little shooting yesterday morning on the gun season opener that it was strange, but I don't think that reflects the numbers of deer but rather the numbers and efforts of hunters. One of my neighbors came by and showed me a truly marvelous buck he took with his rifle. He works hard at it.

Just as an aside, I do think that we have to continue to protect the early archery seasons from muzzleloaders and crossbows, on principle. That seems to be a plan the DEC has for the future. They don't think the bowhunters do a good enough job on the doe population, if that tells you anything about numbers of deer.

So... maybe this belongs in the "politics" forum?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
All this talk of the deer herd has been stewing since the 60's. Take the north country, a deer needs food water and shelter, lot's of shelter, plenty of water but over mature forest provide little food. Many doe permits in the late 60's, now very few deer. In the South, loss of habitat, doe permits [way to many] and greedy hunters [illegal activity] equals few deer. Areas that have limited access or no hunting at all have deer and there are many areas that fit that mode. It all boils down to miss management of the deer herd for decades by the DEC. We can complain, protest, and whine all day long .......it's not about to change.   :readit:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Susan I agree with most of what you said. I am basing my opinion not just on lack of deer sightings while actually hunting but on other factors as well . My parents who are retired live adjacent to the property that I hunt so they are able to give me a pretty much up to date report starting in September and they aren't seeing anything at all . The other thing is starting 5-7 years ago the number of deer car accidents dropped off to zero around there and this is in a area that deer were getting hit almost daily. So even if the temps are high deer are still going to move at night which would make them vulnerable to being hit. Like I said in my earlier post the head biologist in region 8 told me there goal was to nock the numbers way down. As far as time and effort go I've been somewhat fortunate to be able to hunt every day as I am recovering from back surgery so based on  season long observation I can say there are very few deer left in the area.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
First, it's not possible to talk about the "New York deer herd" because there are so many regions in NY and so many different states of succession in each region.

Where I hunt in Region 8, I can say there is a major problem with too many deer.  I hunted in 8N (both on the eastern edge and western edge), 8H, and 8R.

I was concerned that the winter we had would have decreased the herd.  Snows 40 inches deep stayed on the ground without melting for well over two months with temperatures lower than I ever recall in this area (lived here since 1962).  And yet, I saw too many deer for the habitat available.  I saw crop damage due to deer being worse than I remember.  

I never saw a big buck.  I saw a couple normal 6 points, and too many crotch  horns and spikes.  Also,  as in 2014, I saw more yearlings than I could imagine.  

And, driving our roads brings me to the same conclusion.  Twice I've come to a complete stop on major highways to allow big bucks to cross.  And, from the early summer on, I've had way too many deer on the road side on my evening drives.

I'm not a wildlife biologist.  But, from my view, I seem to think there are too many deer for the areas I have been.  

So, with the DEC trying to reduce the herd in most of the areas I hunt, I can say they are probably correct in their analysis that this is required.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Oak518

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
I agreed with Ron. I have ben hunting for years and the number of deer are way down. This year 22  times and 9 deer. Last Tuesday  6 point at 13 yards that spook at the last second. I hunt both state land and private land. The places I hunt produce bucks for me for years. Driving to my hunting area I would see deer all the time.  Now very few. If young hunters DON`T se deer they loose interest. I never see hunters in the woods anymore. My local firehouse had breakfast for hunters for years no more no hunters. I do miss the old days and traditions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©