3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool hunting cloths  (Read 348 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
wool hunting cloths
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
In the past i have purchased Sleeping Indian wool or should i say shrinking Indian , then after shrinking problems that were not taken care of by company, dry cleaning only .I then purchased King of the Mountain great gear but very heavy ,bulky not to worry though the moths ate a bunch of it , built cedar closet to stop the little bastards. Recently though fed up with shrinking ,and moths I purchased a sitka fanatic coat i think i may have found the best, it does not shrink ,its not bulky heavy, incredibly warm ,quiet ,windproof finally after 40 years of hunting i think they got it right ! pricey yes but so was everything else . any one have answer for moths? not stinking moth balls please

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wool hunting cloths
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
Probably the best solution is to put them in sealed plastic bags with cedar chips or sticks in them during the summer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
A sealed rubber tub type storage container. Maybe we just dont have those kind of moths in WY but I have never had damage using them. We get a Miller moth invasion each spring and althogh I find them dead in almost every other area/crevice/cranny I have never found one in my hunting rubber storage containers.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
I hunt in Asbell Wool and Filson, and have experienced none of the problems you encountered. Wool is the perfect hunting fabric.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
I am with Jack in the rubber totes.  My Filson and First Light go into sealed totes with no damage.  I store the totes in the garage in the off season.
habujohn

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
I have a couple Woolrich hunting Mackinaw Jackets.....along with a pair of their wool pants.  Additionally have a Classic Sportsman shirt and will likely get another as well.

Never noticed moth problems on mine in closet or when I air them out on porch.  I am not sure if more of a problem for people that leave windows open without screens in their home or what...  A plastic rubbermaid bin is a great way to put them away and then I put some cedar or pine leaves in with them.

I have never noticed any damage from moths when hung on porch to air out during our deer season...and part is very warm.

I love wool....and luckily have never had an issue with them destroying clothing.  I tend to avoid buying wool from flea markets...make sure house is vaccumed regularly...and try to remove any protein food sources they would feed upon...I also only have what I wear every year so maybe they dont stay in the dark closet long enough to be tempting...

Rubbermaid with some cedar strips or oil in a bag would be first choice if there was an issue...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
I've washed my Sleeping Indian before with out any issues. Then a few years back I washed it before an out of state hunt. I had a new vest made by them the year before and chucked it in with everything else. Long story short I was on a long sit and reached for my vest... It shrank a few sizes. I never tried it on after washing it and lesson learned. This year I purchased some of their wool scrapes on fle**** along with another shirt and had a seamstress do her magic on it. Also had her remove the noisy liner and jigsaw puzzle another layer of wool on the inside from that shirt I bought. Needless to say it is very warm. I now call it my 800 dollar vest and no it won't be getting washed anytime soon.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
I have Day One Camo. Great stuff. As mentioned above I store mine in heavy contractor bags placed inside Rubbermaid Tubs. Never had a problem with bugs of ant time.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
I wear some different wool sweaters all winter, and Johnson Woolens pants in winter; I'm in the sane camp as the others who have no moth issues. Don't do anything particular to avoid 'em.

Haven't washed any of them yet; no need. I think I'd try hand wash in cool water, and air dry (no machine).

Hope your new stuff works for you, wool is superb stuff when you get it right.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Like others have said, plastic tub or a sealed bag. I have KOM, filson,pendelton,woolrich,llbean, Asbell...etc and knock on wood no problems with moths. As far as shrinking goes no problem with KOM and washed several times in washing machine and the others i have hand washed. If you go to Asbell's website they tell you how to wash wool to avoid shrinking. Also i spray all my wool for hunting with Sawyers Permethrin, kills bugs dead.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
I have had great results with First Lite wool!

Bisch

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
I have tried wool and way too heavy and bulky. I have to say after hunting in Alberta last year the best stuff I have used is Cabelas line of Berber fleece. The new fanatic series from Sitka is a spin off of that. I have a friend who field tested the new Berber from Sitka in Canada and he loves it. I am going to pick up a set of the bibs before I go back next November.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I have had great results with First Lite wool!

Bisch
x2.. First Light is good stuff. Very nice and light for early and mid season here in Ohio.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
X3 on First Lite, just used there labrador full zip sweater on a western kansas deer hunt and couldn't be happier with how it performed.

Gabe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©