3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best elk calls?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best elk calls?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
In my experience, use an elk call no one else uses.  Elk begin to associate various sounds with humans.  The Hoocie Mamas are great sounding but everyone I see where I hunt has one.  They still work, but you have to be careful.   I have found that cadence or rythm is mor important.  Wild elk dont always call in sets of 3.
Bugling still works, but it seems out here its only for a week or so in the heat of the rut when the respond agressively.  the rest of the time they only squeal, or sneak in quiet.
This year we literally stumbled onto a herd that haddnt been hunted.  I made one cow call and 6 bulls bugled.  They would come in partially, and look for us.  This went on for 6hrs.  Obviously we found a herd with a Herd bull and a bunch of satellites.  At times we were 15 yards away and could not get a shot due to the thickness of the brush.  We could see hooves ad antlers, but no vital areas.

The kicker is that this spot is less than a mile from a main road, and about 300 yards of a logging spur.  Sometimes the thronging hordes drive right by good spots, and will push elk into unlikely places.
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Carleton Calls "Mac-Daddy" will cover every sound you need to make.  I purchased one of these this year and found myself using it to make cow calls bugles and grunts.  If, and this is a big if, if I found an area where the elk would talk this was a great call.  The elk this year were very talk shy in my area and the only good action I found was at least a 1-3 day pack out if I would have put an arrow in a bull.  This was not only a long distance, it may have been simply horrible terrain.  I am more a fan of aggressive ground hunting techniques to cover distance and try to set up where the elk will be vs. getting the elk to come to me.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Well boys if I followed all the advice on this thread I calculated that I woould spend about $500 on calls which I should keep in my pocket most of the time. ;0)

I went to Bass Pro in Orlando last night and bought the following calls:  Primos Pack Bugle, Primos Hoochie Mama, Primos Hot Lips (two single reed calls on the same frame), Primos Lead Cow and Calf (I really like this call), and a Carlton Fighting Cow (I also like this one).  The Pack Bugle and the Hoochie Mam came as a set with two diaphram calls that I have been gagging on all morning.

After watching the Primos video, I have actually been pretty surprised with how well I am doing with the little pack bugle.  It was disturbing to me that my wife made me put it away at midnight, but we all have to compromise.

I am going to check out the Elk Nut videos soon.  Thanks for all the responses here and thanks to those of you that have sent me a pm.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Im gonna start making some soon will probably need someone out west to test them seein how we aint exactly coverup up with them critters here in Ga.
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
My brother owns Berrygamecalls if you would like to see is web its  www.Berrygamecalls.com   Very good calls.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Gregg.......When ya start seein the Herd Bulls showing up down there "YOUR READY"

Just have FUN BUD

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Just have FUN BUD

Best advice yet, Vance!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic: