3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I getting too old or...  (Read 630 times)

Offline bowhuntrmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Am I getting too old or...
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Guys I have been very blessed this season to take a nice doe and 5 days later with my (brand unable to mention on this forum) 47# recurve with Zwickey Eskilite 2 blade, a nice heavy 9-pt. buck. When our gun season rolled around last Sat., I felt no real desire to try to shoot another deer, especially with a gun. I had 2 deer in the freezer already. Did I really need to shoot another? I had plenty for my wife and I . I did go out opening day, but with my bow. Saw a nice 8 pt. too far away, but I was happy. I had 4 more days to hunt(gun season mind you) but felt no desire to shoot more deer than I really needed. So am I just getting old, OR am I reaching a point in "hunting maturity" and our ancestors of not shooting more than I need?  I know this may sound corny to some of the younger guys, but maybe some of the older guys (I'm 60) might understand my thoughts? GREG
Greg Hanzlick

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I getting too old or...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
I'm sorry, but as one of the older guys (I'm 71), I have a problem understanding what you younger guys are saying.   :)  

Seriously, I couldn't agree more.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm right there with you, Greg. I was fortunate enough to bring home a nice 9pt  the end of Oct and my son knocked down a doe with his bow on the 6th of Nov , only to get a nice 8 pt during the opening weekend of gun season. .... with his bow!

I have not been hunting since I shot mine! No real desire to share the woods with the orange army. I will just wait until I can get the woods to myself again. Having several in the freezer kinda changes your perspective,  that's for sure!

God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
It's not an old guy thing.  I'm 31 and I rarely kill more than one in a season and have never killed more than two.  And that includes trad, compound, and gun over the years.  On another note, why can't you say the brand of your bow?
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
It's not an old guy thing.  I'm 31 and I rarely kill more than one in a season and have never killed more than two.  And that includes trad, compound, and gun over the years.  On another note, why can't you say the brand of your bow?
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline bowhuntrmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Toms, I read on other forums that you even mention my brand on here , and your post is deleted. I don't want to cause problems here, i just want to converse with other trad shooters. It is not important to me to fight with others about what I think is wrong. I joined here knowing this ahead of time so i will abide by the rules here.
Greg Hanzlick

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I'm 74 and I would say you are not growing old - you're growing up. I see that as a sign of maturity   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline bowhuntrmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Thank you Blade! I did not know if I was just feeling old or what!
Greg Hanzlick

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with more than you need, as long as there is someone you know who does need it and will take it.

That being said, you are just fine. There is nothing wrong with your line of thought here.

Bisch

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
Lot of us are hitting that wall.  I guess we are just mellowing out.
ChuckC

Offline bowhuntrmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Glad to know I'm not the only one that is starting to think this way!
Greg Hanzlick

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Shot 2 last year and ran out of meat. Have gotten 3 this year so that is all I need but will still go to the woods anyway. I am 63 and it is getting harder for me to shoot them. Getting soft hearted. I have anywhere from 7 to 12 that come to my feeder in the backyard and they feed while I am practiceing with my bow and they are used to me being out there. They are off limits to me but unfortunately not the neighbors that hunt around me.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
I've always hunted that way, never felt the need to just kill to fill tags. I've always hunted to get what we needed to get us thru from one season to the next.

I really enjoy processing and using the animals that I harvest, always have its very rewarding  when done right.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
I took a fat Doe this year.  First big game animal in several years.  The immediate previous years without a kill were just as good as any.  

Nothing strange or odd about your mindset.  It's all good time in the woods.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
I never heard of a certain brand bow not allowed to be mentioned here if it is trad.  :dunno:  
Nothing wrong with just taking what you need.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
The success of the traditional hunt, for me, is not measured in in the harvest.

The strategizing, planning, scouting, prep work and absorption of the full hunting experience provide the fulfillment of endeavor.

Typically, don’t release an arrow on a buck but approximately once every three years. Have been to the field over 35 times this deer season with the anticipation of many more outings. As a ground hunter, the odds, as perceived , versus a stand hunter may be a 3:1 disadvantage. Yet, I have been most fortunate to have had 13 separate shot opportunities(5 to 18 yards) on thirteen different bucks. In no way do I wish to imply that I could have harvested even one of these beautiful animals. I have released one arrow this season and that was on a turkey which ended up providing fine table fare. Note: Does will get the green light in December…driven by personal obligation to do my part for game management …I will be in the field anyway.

Can merely recommend to hunt and harvest per your own personal desire and not beyond.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
I'm 69, it's 24 degrees out, I take blood thinners and hands go numb at about 40 degrees, I killed a couple of does first part of season with recurve, it's gun season only now and I'm going crazy sitting here not hunting.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Everyone experiences their own thoughts about how many deer to take and with what weapon. Our gun season comes in Monday and here in West Virginia we are allowed to hunt with a bow during gun season and use our gun tag. Needless to say I will be in stand with my bow as I don't need to shoot one with a gun.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
I'll be 80 in March and this is my 60th year as a bow hunter.

There was a time when killing a deer was the top priority. I don't know when the transition took place but even though my goal is still to take a deer, it's no longer the most important thing for me. Preparing for the hunt and just being in the woods at that time of year is the most satisfying thing.

The camaraderie of deer camp for me enhances the bow hunting experience. If I take a deer that's frosting on the cake but even if I don't that's OK too because just being there has become the most important thing for me.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
If you feel you've taken enough, then it's enough. I have a doe in the freezer and I'm single so there is plenty for me. But I still want to kill another. Hopefully a buck. My butcher has people who don't hunt but want venison so anything from here on out won't go to waste. I also have members of my club who will take a deer if they haven't already connected. If this was not the case, then I wouldn't take another animal. And as far as mentioning a particular bow brand, I don't see why you can't. There are all kinds of posts here with a wide array of brands mentioned. Don't know if they're sponsors but I think it would be pretty small potatoes if you posted your bow brand and it was deleted. IHMO
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©