3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone hunt from a summit?  (Read 452 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone hunt from a summit?
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
Does anyone hunt from a summit that has the regular seat and the rail around the front?  I would like one that is enclosed to help me nap! Haha!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone hunt from a summit?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
I do quite a bit. Mine is a viper, it has a rail all the way around. I hunt with 64" longbow, I usually adjust the seat straps out  low. That way when I stand to shoot, the rail is higher and away from the bottom limb. In my opinion, the most comfortable stand on the market

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
All the time. Viper SD. I typically shoot a 62"Stalker Coyote long bow.

Climb one and you will easliy figure out how to shoot in one with any bow. I've shot my 66" Northern Mist out of it as well.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
sorry, double post

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
I hunt from a Summit Viper SD.  It climbs well, is comfortable and I feel secure in it.  My only complaint is that when I'm carrying it in "backpack mode" it tends to rattle and is a little noisy.  That can be fixed with a couple bungee cords.  

I'm looking for a stand that does not have the safety rail in front because I sometimes feel a little limited in my shooting because of it.  I like the looks of the Lone Wolf Flip Top climber but the price is a little outrageous.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
Yes and it works fine.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
That's what I use a viper with a hazmore seat
I love Bow Hunting

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Yup and it's one comfortable stand too.   I've had my Viper for 12 years now.  Longest bow I've used out of it was 64" and never had a problem.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by perry f.:
I do quite a bit. Mine is a viper, it has a rail all the way around. I hunt with 64" longbow, I usually adjust the seat straps out  low. That way when I stand to shoot, the rail is higher and away from the bottom limb. In my opinion, the most comfortable stand on the market
I have the straps on my Viper's seat pulled up tight and keep the 2 halves fairly close together. I use a 58" recurve. I would be interested in the details of how you position the bow etc with your setup, would like to see if I could make it work for me.
SWA Spyder

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
I hunt from a Viper sometimes, my only complaint is it is the hardest stand I have ever used get on a tree quietly, pulling those cables out without a sound is almost impossible. I hunt spooky deer and any metallic sound will send them to the next county.

I altered mine to use Alice pack straps because the factory straps are so bad. I put a waist belt on it as well for packing.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I have one of the original Summits and remover the adjustable rail because it got in the way.
 That stand was heavy and noisy to put up but once in place it was as stable as a rock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
I use the viper SD with the Hazemore seat as well ! Awesome setup ! All day comfortable seat & I'm able to sit a little higher In the seat which helps when hunting with a longbow !

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
i went to an open shot.  The viper rail made it to hard to shoot for me.  I would drop the seat low and stand the whole time.  With the open shot I can shoot sitting.  It is not as secure feeling as the viper, but I find it very safe.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I use the open shot and love it.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Daniel...I use two different climbing tree stands exclusively.

I mostly use the lone wolf hand climber for any morning or evening only hunts.  Best stand ever IMO. Light, quiet safe, easy climbing and descending.

BUT I do use the summit 180 for my all day sits...about 5-6 per year.  Super comfortable, safe but not as quiet,  heavier and more cumbersome to haul around than the LW.  BUT yes, safe to take a nap in. :-)

If I had to choose only one,  it would be an easy call - the lone wolf, but since I don't have to choose just one...love them both for what they do best.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
I use the goliath a little wider no trouble shooting and feel plenty safe in it.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
anybody have any pics of shooting out of one with a front rail?

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
Goliath SD have the Summit 180 but haven't used it.. just have to adjust your seat height etc as said for bow clearance, generally hunt with 54-56 in. bow.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
Hey Daniel, my next climber will be a lone wolf hand climber. I can't stand anything with a rail. It always gets in my way and drastically reduces my shooting angles. But that's just me.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 05:14:00 AM »
I love my Viper SD. With the rail, you just have to be paying attention as to how you set it up, according to your most likely shots. Steep angles dont work well, unless you rig it so you can take a quartering away shot. If you are comfortable with the stand, ive even taken shots from the climbing position sitting on the rail as if you were climbing. Just do what it takes, you'll figure it out. Ive yet to feel I lost out on a deer because of the rail. If that happens,  I probably shouldn't shoot anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©