3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First trad shot, first trad miss....  (Read 294 times)

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
First trad shot, first trad miss....
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
It's my wedding anniversary today and five years ago my wife ordered me a flatbow for my first trad bow.

This morning after returning from the morning hunt I mentioned that it would be cool if I could get my first kill with the bow on our anniversary since that's when I received it.

This afternoon at five minutes before sunset I heard a rustle, look to my left and here comes a big doe and her button buck right at ten yards! Totally surprised me because they were both directly down wind and not where I was expecting them to be. Things happening too fast now to get the shakes.

She started to continue to where I would have a great quartering away shot. Well she must've finally winded me because she stopped and became nervous. She turned around and I prepared for a seven yard broadside shot before she caught on to the game.

Well, needless to say I shot right over her back. I did the rookie mistake and in my excitement didn't pick a spot.

I didn't see my arrow, but didn't hear it hit her so I went and retrieved the arrow from the dirt..clean as a whistle minus the mud caked broadhead. I then realized that I was too worried about her leaving and after picking a spot began to watch her instead.

I thanked God that it was a good clean miss and thanked Him for the awesome opportunity and an exciting hunt.

In hindsight it was a blessing because it was a great hunt, rain was heading in quickly, it was getting dark and I'm exhausted after only 4 hours of sleep last night and 3 the night before. I'm not so sure I wanted to deal with field dressing, dragging and butchering tonight after all.

This is my second year hunting all traditional and this was the first deer I've had within range. What a great hunt! Almost got the anniversary deer after all.

There you go. VM13

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First trad shot, first trad miss....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Whoops, posted the wrong icon...boy I got to get to bed. Not disappointed at all. Great hunt, great day!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »
Happy anniversary. Goes by quick doesn`t it?

Close encounters with game can cause problems with the shot process thats for sure, but its also
the fun.

There been more "rookie mistakes" made by me than I care to admit. And I ain`t no rookie.  :D

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »
Don't worry about it I and lots of others missed their first trad shots at an animal also.  Missing a seven yard shot it really easy to believe because how often do we really practice the "chip" shots?  I rarely practice under 14 yards knowing full well that I need to practice those short shots.  Oh an happy anniversary!  Mine was last wednesday.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©