3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows  (Read 541 times)

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Need someone to convince me to shoot wood arrows. Shot aluminum all my life,I talk myself out of changing when I get ready to order a dz.
                   Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
Well......

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
We cannot convince you to do something.  Only you can decide what is best for you.  

It's Surewood douglas fir for me from here on out.  It just feels right.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
I shot aluminum from 1980 to 1982 and haven't used anything except wood since then (except fiberglass fishing arrows).  

Currently I'm favoring Douglas fir.  Making them is a great February pass time.  I use wipe-on dyes, poly finish and Sharpie markers and metallic ink pens to decorate and weatherproof.  

But I can't convince you.  That has to be a personal decision.  What do you want from life?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »
I switched this August. I don't know what took me so long. Surewood Doug fir for me. I made a large investment in arrows fletching,jigs, feathers, nocks, tips, spine tester. Etc.with hopes of getting to make arrows for my friends.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
If nothing else you ought to buy a good dozen from one of our arrow makers to satisfy your curiosity.  If you don't love them so be it.

Or $42+shipping will get you a good dozen hunters tapered, with point and nock tapers from Surewood.  A couple coats of wipe on poly from Walmart and you are ready for nock, feathers and point.  At the end of the day cheap aluminum and quality wood cost about the same if your building them yourself.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Really just have to experience them for yourself in order to see what they offer.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Why in the world do you "need someone to convince you to shoot wood arrows"? They are beautiful (look at those in the earlier reply), quiet, affordable to buy and easy to make yourself and they fly beautifully as well. Check the scores at 3d shoots that have "traditional" recurve and longbow classes and you'll find scarcely if any difference between them and the carbon/aluminum scores. Did I mention they are "traditional" as well?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
You either want to try them or you don't. We can't convince you unless you actually want to be convinced. However, we can tell you about our experiences with them, which may help you decide.

I got interested in them because of the nostalgic notion of wanting to do it like the really old timers did. Secondly, I have found it possible to get some really attractive arrows. Most importantly, I have gotten good performance. My wood arrows will shoot more accurately than I can hold. They are more durable than you might expect.

Regarding durability, you are going to lose or destroy a fair amount of arrows, whatever they are made of. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the longbow by Dan Quillian, and he made a statement to me that has stuck. He said, "Don't fall in love with your arrows, because you ain't gonna  have them that long." He said, particularly since I was just getting really serious about archery again after having been out of it for a number of years, that if you shoot as much as you should, you will use up a lot of arrows in the process. You will find, especially since you are already an accomplished archer, that wooden arrows will serve you very well and are tougher than you might guess. Yeah, you will break some, and as many say, cedar smells really nice when it breaks. Whatever you shoot, arrows are expendable.

Try a dozen. If you do and then decide you don't like them, well, at least you will know for sure, and you can always go back to aluminum.
Sam

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
15 thousand years of success ought to be enough to convince you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
15 thousand years of success ought to be enough to convince you.
LOL, I hear ya!
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
 Firefly
Deep within the forest glade, that's where the big bucks lie The canopy is heavy there, it covers up the sky In gloomy shadows void of light, nothing's very clear especially the outline, of the ghostly whitetail deer But when you send your arrow, upon it's deadly flight you'll know it's path through the gloom, by fletching showing bright Like it's namesake, it's clear to see, like a beacon in the sky This arrow is the hunters friend, it's called the Firefly
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »

When the sky is gray before the dawn
what lies in wait for the gobblers song
When the call comes back and the birds respond
what quivers slightly like a magic wand
At the moment of truth when the shaft does sing
what ends the hunt..... Shadow Wing
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »

When summer's gone and leaves turn gold  from frosty mornings to colors bold  Our hearts are pulled to the woods again  where hunting time must soon began  With bow in hand and arrows true  the goal is clear what we must do  Release the hunting spirit bold  then Autumns Legend can unfold  

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »

Sitka Supreme:... The woods are quiet when the sun goes down The rustling of leaves is the only sound  A buck appears as if from a dream you're ready for him with a Sitka Supreme  Ramrod straight and tough as nails A darn good arrow for hunting Whitetails  When the moment of truth rolls around your Sitka Supremes won't let you down

WWW.Shrewbows.com

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Here is my latest set.  If you want a chance to win them, visit this link  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=146847

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
I started traditional archery in 2012. I shot carbon arrows for 1 1/2 yrs, then a friend gave me some woods that he didnt shoot and i was hooked. I got rid of all my carbons and only shoot woodies now! To me, its the alure of shooting them and ofcourse watching the mystical flight of a wood arrow. I build all my woodies and they just look way more awsome to me then any carbon or aluminum arrows. Like was said above, their are guys on here that build beautifull woodies, carbons and aluminum arrows and can hook you up. You will not go wrong shooting any of the 3 materials, they all have pros and cons and it comes down to what you like the best. Get a set of woodies and see for your self, you will not go wrong.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
All I shoot. What's your bow made of?

Simple, quiet, natural material.

Talk to David at Wilderness Custom Arrows, get a set, and see what you think.

If you like, after that, get a few tools and build your own with shafts of your choice, when and how you like.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
The only problem I had with wood was before I got done one doz. I was thinking about what I wanted to do with the next doz. very addicting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©