3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confounded by wood.  (Read 349 times)

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Confounded by wood.
« on: November 22, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
I am trying to go to wood arrows.  I had some made for me by a well respected arrow maker based on my bow and draw length ...   I am currently shooting Victory VAP micro diameter arrows and with these arrows the arrow is directly in line with the target.  When I shoot the wood arrows they shoot 4 to 6 inches to the left I am right handed.  I have experimented with different point weights from 100 to 190 grains.  I can improve it a bit but at distance the sight picture changes a lot.  I have also tried a spine test kit and arrows full length cut to length with little improvement.  I have changed to a Martin rug to try to minimize paradox pushing the arrow left off the riser.  What I am asking is should I just realize that I have to have the site picture with the arrow significantly to the right because of the 5/16 shaft or should I keep working?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confounded by wood.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Shooting to the left is an indcation of too stiff/overspined arrows.  You've gone up to 190 gr (but leaving your arrows full length was helping you and shortening stiffens them).  I like 125 gr; but to each their own.  Draw further or try lowering your brace height.

When you say "sight picture" what method are you using?  Adjusting your sights is the method of correcting windage.  But if you're just looking down the arrow you can only do so much.  Change your anchor.  Play with the rest (maybe try a thin pad with a little strip to eliminate fletching kick).

Otherwise, practice with them until your brain gets their flight burned in.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
I have experienced problems in getting arrows to hit where I'm looking when changing from a bow that is cut past center to a bow that isn't cut all the way to centershot.  However, for a given bow, I've been able to get different diameter arrows to hit in the same spot by tuning.  I think you should keep working.  A 5/16" wood shaft isn't really that large of a diameter, as wood shafts go.  Probably by experimenting with different spines, arrow lengths, and point weights, you'll be able to come up with something that works.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
And by the way, I think you will find that lowering the brace height will cause the arrow to act even more stiff.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
What spine arrows are you shooting, what is your draw length, what is you bow weight ect ect .... need better info to help you out

Are the VAP's 5/16 and the wood shafts ??
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
I think you're simply dealing with a difference in diameter in the arrow shafts causing you to shoot left.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
If your arrows are flying good then bring your brace hight up a few twist at a time until your shooting center.

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2015 08:04 PM      Profile for ARriverdog   Email ARriverdog  
Bow
Stalker wolverine
40# @28
I draw to 28
Cut 3/16 past center

Arrows
Sure wood shaft with back taper
29" bop
50-55 spine
Points I have have tried 100 to 190 grains
5/16 inch

My thought is that it may just be the diameter of the arrow

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
Your bow is 40 pounds and you have 50 to 55 spine arrows.  I am not a wood expert but I am making my own arrows but that is where I would think the problem of too stiff of an arrow is coming from.... Somebody correct me if I am wrong (im a noob at arrow making but mine fly great) but if I were you and wanting to shoot 125 grain I would get 40 to 45 spine and bare shaft tune for length and if I wanted to fire 190 grain I might go up to 45 50.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
I think you need a  much heavier point, longer arrows or weaker spine.  I think the easiest thing to try first is to try 250 grain point and see if that helps any,

I usually get the 50-55 spine arrows to fly good out of 45-50 lb bows with full length shafts and 125 grain heads.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
How thick is your sideplate?

You indicate 3/16 PAST center, which means without a strikeplate you're still 2/16 off center with the axis of your arrow shaft.

Maybe go to the thinnest material you can find (pigskin or moleskin) or shoot off the riser itself without a strikeplate.

I'll be following this one to see your results.

How clean is your release? I suffer from left/right issues from time to time and it's usually my plucking of the string or torquing the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I am using a martin rug which is thick but soft.  I thought the softer the material the less it would push off the side plate and therefore travel to the left.  I will try the thinner material.  

I think the release is ok I know when I pluck it and it happens occasionally.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
I used to shoot woodies for many years. Your 50-55# arrows should fly fine out of a 40# bow with 125 grn heads. If they are back tapered I would be surprised that they are 5/16 unless that is the back taper end only. Are you positive they are 50-55 ?? Just for fun you might try putting on a raised rest like a bear weather rest and see what that does, also try a thinner strike plate like a piece of leather or Velcro rug.

I have shot a Stalker Wolverine bow and it was pretty forgiving.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »
You are correct they are 11/32 not 5/16.
It is interesting they fly well and do not strike the target at different angles than the micro diameter carbon fiber arrows do. They simply hit 4 inches to the left at 15 and 20 yards there is little difference in the 125 and 190 grain points with regard to arrow movements toward the desired point of impact.  I will go with thinner strike plate then heavier points.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
11/32 with a 5/16 back taper were my favorite shafts ... my bows where in the 55# range and I shot 70-75's with 125 grn to 165grn heads. My draw was 28" and I cut them at 29 1/2.

Occasionally I would have the same " hitting to the left" issue when changing bows and remedied it by changing strike plate but sometimes it was a form issue or a riser just fit me different. Hope you find the answer, good luck.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
I too am confounded by wood arrows. So much so that I threw all I had into a fire pit at a shoot one weekend a couple years ago. Best thing I ever did. I now never have to deal with that frustration any more!

Some of you guys make truly breathtaking works of art with your wood arrows, and I love to see them, but I'll just keep on shooting my Full Metal Jackets, and be content!

Bisch

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
I just don't understand why some have so much trouble with wood.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by elkken:

Originally posted by snag:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
Oh good, I thought I might be the only one having fun.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©