3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Aoudad Hunts  (Read 186 times)

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas Aoudad Hunts
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
Can someone recommend an outfitter (I don't want a DIY hunt) for Aoudad in Texas? If there is someone who specializes in trad that be great but at least someone who does a lot of bow hunting.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Aoudad Hunts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
I am going to watch this one.  That would be a great hunt.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
I bow hunted on a south Texas ranch a few years back called the Shurley Ranch. The owner of the ranch is Asa Nixon and he outfits for Aoudad.  I spoke to him at length about doing a bowhunt.  He felt to get me within 30 yards I would need to hunt over a water hole like you would for antelope.  He has many places he can set you up on.  You can PM me if you are interested and I will go back through my old emails to find his contact for you.
habujohn

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
I'm headed down in February, the aoudad hunts really vary.  The hill country hunts I looked at seem to be more stick bow friendly.  Those mountain hunts in west Texas and Nm will be a challenge.  I've hunted them 4 times and have yet to kill one.  2 of those were high fence hunts all spot and stalk. They are a blast to hunt.

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
Free range or high fence, as mentioned above huge difference.
I know an outfitter that used to, and may still, run West Texas hunts. Regardless he would be a great resource.
If high fence is ok, definitely call Diamond C Ranch.
Feel free to contact me if I can help

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
A place called indian hills ranch (i think) in west texas (utopia, Tx i think!) use to run bowhunts for free range aoudad with high success.  The bowhunts were always in summer over water and/ or feed.  I dont know if theyre still around.  The wheelie bow company PSE had thier staff hunt there yearly and i believe made some video of the hunts

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
I leave a week from Sunday for a free range Aoudad archery hunt near Uvalde, TX.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm hunting a small ranch that only takes 6 hunters a year.  At least that's what he alleges.  I have spoken with a few guys that hunted this place the last two years and success seems to be pretty good.  Manager did say that it is a tuff hunt with traditional gear.
T ZZZZ

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
I leave a week from Sunday for a free range Aoudad archery hunt near Uvalde, TX.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm hunting a small ranch that only takes 6 hunters a year.  At least that's what he alleges.  I have spoken with a few guys that hunted this place the last two years and success seems to be pretty good.  Manager did say that it is a tuff hunt with traditional gear.
I'd very much appreciate that.

As far as the rest goes...

I'd prefer free range but have no issues on high fence.

Also I'd have no issue sitting a water hole or feed. I want a good chance at a good aoudad. I've never taken one so I don't have a preconceived notion of how I must take one.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©