3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions wanted on KUIU and First Lite base layers  (Read 753 times)

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions wanted on KUIU and First Lite base layers
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
Looking at getting a set of base layers for hunting during the December - February portion of our Mississippi deer season.

This is normally when the temp start to get in the 30 to 20 down South on some days.

What is your opinion on KUIU  compared to First Lite base layering systems?

I plan to wear Asbell wool as an outer garment.

I researched and see where KUIU is promoting a "NUYARN" Technology of making Merino wool, anyone have any experience with this new garments?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions wanted on KUIU and First Lite base layers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
Also on the KUIU website I cannot find any base layer bottoms listed.  What am I missing here?  Everything is top's only   :dunno:

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
For me, I'd go with First Lite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for your reply, but based on what reason (s) Price there comparable, Quality?  Durability? Comfort?  Ect....

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
On the KUIU site, I think if you don't see it, then they are out of stock. I was looking at a down vest when the sale was announced, then it just was not there any more once I wanted to buy it. I dug around for a while before I finally found it listed as out of stock.

I have no clue which is better, but I have several of the FL layers (tops, not base layers) and they are top notch. They keep you warm with a lot less bulk.

Bisch

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I haven't tried KUIU, but have 90% of First Lite' offerings, I couldn't be happier. Their base layers are extremely comfortable, either chasing pronghorn when it's 90 degrees, or last weekend chasing muleys when it was cold to beat heck.

They keep you cool when it's warm, and warm when it's cold. They really help dissappear sweat, don't smell after wearing them days on end in elk camp, I feel they are a great value based on the performance you get.

I would wear their red desert boxers every day if I could afford too, they are unreal.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Dissapate* sweat
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
That is tough. I really like my Kuiu. But have heard fantastic things about First light. I will be trying them out myself.
TGMM Family of The Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
What about durability? And care of garments, can you just wash and dry and not worry about shrinkage?

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
First Lite has some of the best quality base layers in the business at fair prices but the main reason I'd go with FL over KUIU is availability and customer service

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
I have used the KUIU base layers (and most everything else KUIU makes) since they first came out and am extremely satisfied with them.  Satisfied enough that I have two new sets of bottoms and three tops being delivered today (according to the FedEx tracking).  The ones I have had for the past five years are still working great, the new ones are for back up.  As Barry and Gene always say, if you find something that works, buy extras before they stop making it.  Regarding service, in my experience KUIU's service has always been first rate.  

I have no experience with the First Lite, so I cannot comment about their products.  They do look to be similar.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Having had both base layers I would go with the FL line just because of durability issues.  I spent good money on a few tips and the sleeves stitching isn't as good.  Just at the sleeves.  Maybe I was just unlucky.  I love both camos but really like the FL better in my opinion.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
First Lite is having a sale starting tonight on some items
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
I haven't tried Kuiu or FL but the Minus 33 base layers are nice.  I have them in both the medium and heavy weights. The heavy weight Minus 33 is actually a bit heavier weave than the FL and can be found for a good bit less.

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Cant speak for Kuiu, but the FL stuff it really nice. I will say that the base layer top (Llano), while comfortable, is not durable enough to move through brush that may snag it, it will get holes in it. In my opinion is great as a base layer, but not quite durable enough to be worn alone in those warmer temps. I got a cheap poly shirt to wear over it or in place of it if needed.

Oh, yeah. Get some red river boxers. They are awesome! Probably the most comfortable underwear ever.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Never had first lite but my 210 merino kuiu top is the nicest piece of clothing i own.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Keep it coming guys would like to hear more before the FL sale starts tonight.  

Wish KUIU had some base bottoms listed to compare, but it appears as Bisch said there sold out.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
TTT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
TTT

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of first lite. Have every weight top they make. The first Llano I bought about 5 years ago is tattered, but I wear it as an outer layer in warm and cool weather. I wash and dry their knit merino products with no shrinkage issues. In pretty tall so could use another inch or two of torso length, but that's my only complaint. Didn't stop me from buying more. Availability can be an issue if buying direct. They don't seem to restock too frequently and I think their dealers must get priority when new shipments arrive. Customer service is good. I love the fit and feel of the kanab pants made with a rip stop weave. Durability isn't the greatest on that particular product though they may have addressed that in the kanab 2.0. I hunt a lot of briars so hey get out to the test.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©