3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: From the ground for our second season  (Read 647 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
From the ground for our second season
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Archery season resumes in Michigan Dec.1st. I am going to endeavor to take my first deer from the ground. I'm looking forward to the challenge.Any tips appreciated.

Re: From the ground for our second season
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Good luck!

Bisch

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Just some random thoughts....

Be still more than you move.
Play the wind.
When you do move do it REALLLLY slowly.
Keep alert....you must see them first and you have less time to do so as they will be closer.
the same areas that work well from the tree will work well from the ground.
Persevere.. You will get busted, but the more you hunt from the ground the better you will become.
Enjoy it all and have fun!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
First watch the wind, second move slow, third watch the wind and last but most important...watch the wind.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
If your in hilly country like me playing the wind is a crap shoot. The hills and hollers channel wind like a river bed. If you can find a place you get a consistent wind and some good dense cover behind ya, your ahead of the game. Like others have said, move slow! I always try to have my bow at the ready so you can draw with minimal movement. I've been busted a lot, but it's worth it. Good luck and have fun that's the main thing!

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
hunt as often as possible---
keep your head in the game and your bow in your hand--the deer will be in your lap REAL fast most times!!
live by the wind--the deer will bust you if its NOT in your favor--every time!

---"Michigan Dec.1st."--better be tough!! I hear its cold!!!

---kill something--post pictures!---
Mike

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:33:00 AM »
Define from the ground? Spot and stalk? Ground blind or both? I recommend starting with a natural ground blind. These can be really intricate or really simple. Build them at least 20 yards from where you expect deer to come from. Build multiple in the same area so that you can switch from one to another based on the wind. A pair of pruning shears is an invaluable tool. Good luck and don't get discouraged it takes some getting used to. If you want to spot and stalk start from a ground blind too. Use all the cover you can and move very slowly. A little bit of floss tied to your limb will allow you to quickly check the wind.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
I will be hunting from natural ground blinds. Blowdowns and blinds I have made from surrounding limbs and brush. I have tried to build them along well used trails used at this time of year. I should mention that this is my own property so I know who is around. I plan on dropping to my knees at the first sight of a deer because I shoot well from that position and draw when the deer passes behind a tree. Who knows. Maybe everything will come together. Isn't that the thrill of the hunt after all?

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
When you set up, make sure you don't get too close...or you'll never be able to draw your bow without getting busted...

Ask me how I know.

Just happened to me the other day...

Offline swampkooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
been hunting from ground blinds ( natural and store bought ) for several years..sounds like you've thought it out and hav a good game plan,scent control is always an issue.others here hav already given you sound advice..just be confident,it is adeadly way to hunt.for countless generations our native brothers fed their families without having to shimmy up a tree.good luck
trad bowhunter

Offline sfh761

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
I use a Shaggy Suit which is basically a ghillie suit. They are awesome. Blinds seem to draw attention and feel too confining. With the suit I find a little ground cover and I blend in. Plus it's much easier to carry than a blind. Deer don't seem to spook even when they look at me even from very close range. There's no human outline so the deer seem like they look right through you.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I have a hunting buddy who has hunted on the ground for several years now. He is a physician and quit the trees after seeing too many severe injuries from tree stand accidents.  He never wears camo but will put a little face paint on, doesn't worry about using any sort of cover, and generally gets his shots at under 20 yards--I have seen him kill deer at less than that.  I am often just amazed at where he was standing when he killed a deer.  He pays great attention to the wind, does not set up in any sort of blind, won't stand next to a tree for fear it would hinder his movement to shoot if the deer comes from the wrong side, moves veeeeery slowly, stops often to listen and look all around. He uses a Hill style longbow so his arm doesn't tire holding the bow--arrows ride in a side quiver that hides fletching but for many years was successful using a beloved back quiver. He makes hunting look so easy and uncluttered!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Don't look them in the eye if they are really close and looking straight at you. I had a doe standing 8 yards away from me last week. I had blaze orange on cause gun season started. She stared right at me and knew something wasnt right but didnt spook.  They can pick up on your eyes so watch them through your peripheral until they look away.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Best of luck, enjoy the hunt.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I agree with the advice previously given. Most of all, being still and hunting the wind are the most important factors to consider. A good stand, with good back cover is important, also. Shoot when the deer is not looking at you.
Sam

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Great advise here. I like blinds made "naturally" but how many times do they happen where you want them. I always stay off the skyline and away from openings in the woods. Try and stay in the shadows when doing any moving around. Noise disciple is a must. No coughing, scratching, no fumbling with bow or arrows. Like posted above, been there, done all these things and kept critters away.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Shot this one from the ground just a few weeks ago.  Sitting on a stool next to a large tree trunk and eating an apple for lunch LOL.  Never did finish that apple...

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nantahala Nut:
Don't look them in the eye if they are really close and looking straight at you. I had a doe standing 8 yards away from me last week. I had blaze orange on cause gun season started. She stared right at me and knew something wasnt right but didnt spook.  They can pick up on your eyes so watch them through your peripheral until they look away.
All of the advice here such as concern about scent, wind direction, slow deliberate movement, avoiding openings and the skyline, etc., are all spot on, but this advice here is one that I think many hunters, especially new hunters do not realize.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Good point Basstar.  That advice applies to tree sitting also!

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
The time to shoot is when their attention is drawn to something other than you, passing car, bird, distant gun fire, whatever.  Then when you shoot get on with it.  Deer are experts at seeing motion, especially at closer ranges.  Many will say to shoot in ultra slow motion, for myself, I find that all that does is throw me off my natural tempo and gives the deer more time to turn its attention back to me.  I have shot all of my deer from the ground and most of them still hunting.  When I was using a slower target form, the deer never cooperated with it.  I went back to Hill form, more fluid and quicker; since I cannot control the deer, it is up to me to match the situation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©