3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Journal?  (Read 420 times)

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Journal?
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Anybody else keep one?

I have tried for the last 2 seasons to keep one of all my hunts. Being a budding outdoor writer; it is a good idea to document my thoughts, feelings, enviromental awareness etc.

I was given a beautiful leather-covered journal with a silk page-keeper this year as a gift; so far it is keeping me busy writing   :)  

It will be cool to go back and re-live the hunts while I'm gathering fodder to fuel my writing mind.

BD

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Journal?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
I've kept one but have since stopped after revisiting my stories and learning how boaring I am. It was a bummer. Now I use pictures. I take pictures of everything and anything.

I am trying to finger out a way to have a journal and pictures...a scrap book of sorts

And my handwriting is so bad sitting at a desk in the field on my knee it was damn near illegible.  :biglaugh:

Offline stringmusic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
I like to.  Its nice remembering the hunts in the off season.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
I hunt the back country.  Not the back 40 acres, the back 40,000 in the wilderness area, so I carry maps and often write about my day on the back.  When I print them up I put a list of things to write about to get the mind going.  
Date
Time
GPS Location
Companions
Weather
-clouds
-precip
-sunlight
-WIND
area flora
game sightings
initial lessons learned for the day

What do you write about?
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
I started one last year and wish I had been doing it all along. I'm using a word processor so I can also paste in a few pics in addition to my narrative.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Elk,
That is a great idea.  I have often thought about doing that each season to record weather, moon, wind, deer movements, and so on for the days that I am out.  I hunt 4 different properties here at home and several up in Michigan and it would be nice to look back from year to year and plan my hunting based on previous years experiences.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Have been keeping one for years. Not always up to date, but I try. My hunting journal has morphed into an anytime outdoors journal. I like the picture idea, still need the camera!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
I keep a journal of most of my hunts. I type it up on microsoft word and add pictures.  I burn it to a Cd every month or so in case the computer crashes! Some times it seems like a chore, but everytime I go back and read it I'm glad I have taken the time to keep it. At the end of the year I do a final edit of my journal then print it out and place it in a binder. I figure maybe my kid's or future grand kids will get a kick out of it even if no one else does!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
this is a page that my buddy "drew" posted out of his journal from a hunt we had two weekends ago..i really enjoyed this and wanted to share since the journal topic came up..i'd like to start doing the same to share with my grandkids someday......here it is.

Here's a page out of my journal I wrote last night..about my hunt last friday night.

“A Season of Change”

As I sat on my stool in the unusually hot October afternoon sun in a natural blow down ground blind make up of Jack pine, my mind begin to wander off in reflection of this past year. I sat looking at the Northern Mist Baraga longbow lying across my lap, I studied every detail of the bow and how it had changed in the months since this spring when I received it. I noticed the leather on the arrow shelf that was perfect now shows the wear of hundreds of practice shots. The leather grip has marks where my hand rests and shows flecks of paint off my target from pulling arrows. A Sitka spruce “Firefly” arrow sits nocked on my string with new two blade broad head, ready for a new experience just like me.

I have changed over the course of this year, the end of the month will mark my first year as a father and a different trail I now walk. I sat thinking of how thankful I am for my beautiful healthy son, a great wife and family, a new group of friends made, and to a gentleman named “Pops” who did me a favor and held a special longbow as I fought to save up the money to buy it. The smells, sights and sounds of the woods made me feel right at home and thankful to be alive.

I absorbed the various colors of autumn, with the sounds of acorns falling around me as a welcome breeze blew against my face and rattled the oak leaves. Suddenly a squirrel erupted in a noisy chatter I knew meant something was trespassing within his sight. Just as my eyes searched for the culprit, I caught a movement and froze looking down a natural shooting lane. A mature Doe gracefully stepped in front of me as my heart started pounding out of my chest in my throat and ears, as I admired her beautiful silky brown coat as I picked a small spot just behind her front shoulder where I wanted to place an arrow. She took another step as I calmed my nerves a touch mentally, gripping my bow and putting tension on the string I slowly started to raise my bow up for a less than 10 yard shot. My longbow had barely moved, as I heard a loud blow and a stomp from off beyond my vision. I froze smiling to myself as I laughed inside from my error. I just made the mistake of being busted by a trailing deer I hadn’t seen or looked for in the excitement of the moment. The doe in front of me whipped her head towards me and locked on to me as she knew something wasn’t quite the same from a moment ago when she walked in. She blew and stomped, trying to force me to make another mistake, then bound a few leaps off into the thick brush to the left of me out of my shooting range. I shifted my glance to the deer that’d caught me, another doe just outside of my shooting lane slowly moved away from me keeping just enough cover to prevent me from getting a clean shot. The two ladies pranced around my spot cautiously letting me enjoy seeing them up close as they moved through the woods and slowly disappearing from my sight.

I tried to relax as I went over what had just taken place. Had I been in a tree stand with my compound, I would have easily seen both deer and shot once one had got to 30 yards. I would have never gotten as intimately close at eye level as I had just been. I just sat there smiling thankful God gave me the chance to see the two beautiful whitetails. As the gorgeous crimson and orange sunset faded into darkness I sat excited to share my story with a great group of friends at camp and to listen to their stories of the nights events. As I grabbed my longbow, and wood arrows I knew the changes that had taken place in me are for the best. I was thankful for a memorable hunt and just as the seasons have changed, so have I.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by elk ninja:
I hunt the back country.  Not the back 40 acres, the back 40,000 in the wilderness area, so I carry maps and often write about my day on the back.  When I print them up I put a list of things to write about to get the mind going.  
Date
Time
GPS Location
Companions
Weather
-clouds
-precip
-sunlight
-WIND
area flora
game sightings
initial lessons learned for the day

What do you write about?
I don't site down and write the entire account. I write a little at a time. and about anything that i think about...some times there will be dribbling about my girlfriend or my parents or a cute little doe I seen....maybe it's about the sky or a funny looking cloud...you might find something in there about my mood or a note to myself....at times I might write in there remider i would like to see in a couple months/years.....or a resolution (like a new years resolution)...maybe i had a hard time a climbing a certian hill and I was out of breath....next year I might climb that hill and no be out of breath....

my journal is not in formal sentences, but ramblings...some only I may understand and some (if you could read my writing) friends/family might understand.

Some times I even ask my hunting parterner at the time if he would like to make a mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©