3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: out of string material and new Predator recurve on the way  (Read 212 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
out of string material and new Predator recurve on the way
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
I'm about out of my spools of 452X and need to get 3 new spools of string. Also I have a new  62" Predator recurve on the way. Anyone have a string recipe the works great for the Predators? I can't recall the last time I used a string that I didn't make myself. So I plan to make a new one for the Predator.  Just wondering what the favorite string material these days for quiet and stability? The 452x was pretty darn good. Is Fury better? How many strands?
Tedd

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: out of string material and new Predator recurve on the way
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
BCY-X is the next generation after 452X.  8190F is the best 100% Dyneema material on the market.

I have some 452X, and can get some 8190F pretty quick, and can sell it at a bargain if you are interested.

I like 18-20 strands of either one.  Makes a string that isn't too fat, but you won't have to pad out the serving to get a decent nock fit.

BCY-X is 17% Vectran, 83% DK90 Dyneema (vs. 452X being 33% Vectran, 67% SK75 Dyneema).

What it boils down to is any 100% Dyneema material is going to be more susceptible to stretch/creep, especially in higher temps and/or with lower strand counts.  Of course there are lots of other variables to consider--draw weight, draw length, string length, actual temps, etc.

Materials with Vectran are more stable, especially in higher temps.  They seem to be a little quieter on most bows also.

Chad

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks LBR, Thats good info.
So what is your string of choice?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
BCY-X is my favorite.

I started tinkering with it shortly after it came out and I love it.  Bought a Samick Journey just to test it with (didn't want the bow to be a factor).  The difference the string made (from a 16 strand Dacron) was nothing short of amazing.  Even on this very cheap bow it's quiet, durable, stable, and consistent.  I liked it so much that I took it to FL on a bowfishing trip (got my biggest stingray to date--around 80#), I used it opening day of archery season here (got a big doe), and I used it at the KY Tradfest in '14 to win the long shot novelty.  Guys like Denny Sturgis Jr. and Rod Jenkins like it too.

If you liked 452X, I think you will like it.  It's the next in line.  Started with 450 Premium, then 450+, then 452X, and now BCY-X.  As better raw materials become available, better bowstring becomes available.

8190F and Fury are supposed to be the same thing--SK90 Dyneema.  8190F has more colors and is cheaper.  

Saw a guy somewhere else saying the rate of twist is different and that it made a big difference in the material.  According to DSM (the manufacturer of Dyneema), BCY, and a couple of big name compound companies who all experimented with the rate of twist from very little to a whole bunch, that claim is not founded in fact.  Practically no difference in performance between almost no twist and a whole bunch of twist.  No idea why someone would think twisting would change the properties of the material.

8190F has gotten a good foothold in the market, even though it's only been out for a short time (released in late July).  It's going to be a tiny bit faster (same diameter string) than BCY-X because it has no Vectran, and Vectran is heavier than Dyneema.  I don't think it will be enough to notice on our bows, sinc X only has 17% Vectran.  Probably no more than a couple of fps on a wheel bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©