3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: penetration issues  (Read 484 times)

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
penetration issues
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
So I just got my bow yesterday and decided to shoot a few arrows through it today. After a couple shots I began to wonder what kind of penetration I would get shooting a deer. Seems to me like I wouldn't get great penetration and it has me worried. My set up is a Ben Pearson cougar 50@28. I'm shooting a beman ics hunter 400 with a 100 grain brass insert and a 125 grain head. So my total arrow weight is 468.6 plus my nock,wrap,and fletching weight. Maybe it's just the type of target I'm using, as it's a self healing foam style that is rather stiff.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: penetration issues
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
By the way, my draw length is 28" on my compound, so I'm guessing I'm closer to 27.5 on this recurve.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
With the right shot placement you shouldn't have any problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
A very sharp broadhead will cure most penetration problems,as long as you put it in the rib cage.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Sharpen the broadheads adequately, put the arrow in the right spot, and you are good to go.
Sam

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
go with a sharp two blade single or double bevel and you'll be surprised. I have lots of buddies to get complete pass throughs consistently with that setup...the only risk you might run it with the shoulder and that tuff with any setup

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
I've blown through 5 of 6 whitetails with less draw weight and less arrow weight and a 26" draw. You should be great with as others reminded .... sharp on sharp broad heads.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
The weight of the arrow should be fine but are you sure the arrow is tuned with the bow? That arrow seems too stiff for that bow with your setup. I would think you would need at least a 175gr tip with the 100gr insert for the beman 400 to fly correctly.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Have you tried shooting a shaft without fletching?  (TARGET POINT - DO NOT TRY WITH A BROADHEAD!)

One of the big robbers of penetration is a shaft that enters anything but straight-in.  If you're arriving at the target with a yaw component it will kill penetration.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mint:
The weight of the arrow should be fine but are you sure the arrow is tuned with the bow? That arrow seems too stiff for that bow with your setup. I would think you would need at least a 175gr tip with the 100gr insert for the beman 400 to fly correctly.
What about leaving the arrow at 31"? Would that have the same effect.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Have you tried shooting a shaft without fletching?  (TARGET POINT - DO NOT TRY WITH A BROADHEAD!)

One of the big robbers of penetration is a shaft that enters anything but straight-in.  If you're arriving at the target with a yaw component it will kill penetration.
I have not shot it bare shaft. All the shafts that I ordered were already fletched. I do have some other shafts that are very similar I could strip down and try though.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
My concern may also stem from me still using a compound. I'm used to the setup that I have now that will blow through a shoulder with no problem. Not that I shoot at the shoulder, but I tend to hug very tight to it. I actually shot well for the little that I did shoot earlier. Having shot a recurve some a few years ago may have something to do with that though.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Jake another way to check your arrow flight is the BAB(big A$$ broadhead) test.  Mount a broadhead on one of your arrows and shoot it first into your target, then shoot a couple of target points.  They should impact and align the same.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Jake another way to check your arrow flight is the BAB(big A$$ broadhead) test.  Mount a broadhead on one of your arrows and shoot it first into your target, then shoot a couple of target points.  They should impact and align the same.

Mike
I'll try this shortly. I just checked a spine selection chart and it's showing that my arrow should be fine for the setup. Like I said, I may just be paranoid. I like blowing through deer when I shoot them.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
That's close to the same as my setup.  200 total weight up front 30 inch 400.  It's the sweet spot in my rig, I draw 29 on the button

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
As an example I guarantee you that bow will bury a field point to the threads in a piece of pressure treated 2x4 at 20yds, what do you think it will do to a deer with a razor sharp broadhead?  I would imagine your target is purpose made to catch arrows, like others, so why judge penetration with something like that?  Trust your gear.  Guys transitioning from wheels always question stickbows.  Shoot some waster arrows at some junk items and watch how well an arrow from a stickbow goes through some things.  I've had a field point arrow go completely through a 5 gal bucket of paint at 25 yds.  A deer is less tough than that.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
You are going to go straight through a deer
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Shot placement is the only thing that truly matters.
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
You will be fine, don't expect your arrows to penetrate a target with field points like your compound did
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©