3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cleaing bloody arrows  (Read 432 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cleaing bloody arrows
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
One of the things I love about traditional archery is re-using the same arrows and broadhead to kill multiple animals.  Back in my compound days, it was once and done with the broadhead/blades, and usually the plastic fletching got a bend I it, so I ended up having to refletch.

I haven't seen a post on this, so I thought I would describe what I do, then anyone with easier or more nifty ideas on how to do it could chime in.

If at all possible, I was the blood off of the fletching immediately, and certainly try to do it before the blood dries if I can.  This can mean using a water bottle in the field, and often it means dunking the fletching in a stream and swishing it around and rubbing the fletching with my fingers.  The shaft can really be taken care of at any time, but I will do it in the field if I can.  I prefer not to put bloody arrows in my quiver if I can avoid it.

When I get home, I will do a more thorough job in the sink, and I will use scent free soap if I have to (usually only if the blood has dried some).  If you don't get all of the blood out, the fletching will not separate well when drying, in which case, I start the washing process over. I use my fingers or an old toothbrush to get any dry blood from the fletching wraps.

I take the broadhead off and wash both it, and the shaft, then put the broadhead back on the shaft, although I suppose you could put a field tip on.  I will then spin the excess water off of the fletching by spinning the shaft as if it was a fire starter, between my two hands.  I either do this outside, or I put the arrow and my hands I the shower, using the curtain to protect me and the bathroom, and keep my wife from beating my.

Then I put the arrow in the bathroom sink, tip down, and break out my wife's hair dryer.  I use this to blow air on the fletching, while spinning the upright shaft with my other hand.  Eventually it will get dry enough so that the air from the hair dryer will spin the shaft, very fast actually when near dry.  Along the way, I am trying to keep the fletching from laying down to flat, or be sticking out so much that there is space between the feathers.  I would probably rather have it stay a little flat and the toward the end gentle pull against the grain to raise the fletching when it get closer to dry, but you have to make sure there is no blood holding them together.

After that, I sharpen the broadhead and put it back in my quiver.

Now, I would love to hear what others are doing.

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cleaing bloody arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
Great post!
I am anxious to hear others also, my problem is I almost ALWAYS wait too long, distracted with the matters at hand.

is there any good way to revive bloody feathers?

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Depends how bad.  Soaking in warm soapy water usually helps, but expect to use your fingers some.  Oh, and for blood on your clothes that gets dry, try spraying with hydrogen peroxide.  Them scrub and repeat as necessary.  Haven'y tried it on camo clothes yet, though.

Offline cynical_ant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Last deer I killed the arrow was in good shape, so I just brought it in the shower with me after the hunt and washed it up. Let it dry off, removed the head, straightened it, and put the head back on. The feathers seem like they are in pretty decent shape. I like the idea of spinning it really fast in your hands to toss the water off:)
Beauforttrad.com

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution, can be diluted with water in a small spray bottle, will remove even dried blood. Should work on feathers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
Ivory detergent and a bit of warm water on a cotton rag.  Wipe until clean.  Use the steam from a tea kettle to pop the fletching back (don't "over cook" it).  Straighten the shaft (wood) as needed.

Then I wipe the broadhead with Barricade and resharpen it.  And once again check the shaft for straightness.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
I use the Fletch dry powder on all my feathers. Helps keep them dry in the rain and easy to get blood out of. I try to wash the bloody arrow fast and will rub a little Dawn dish washing stuff on them and rub it in and rinse. I use arrows and broadheads till they are done. cheaper that way..RC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »
I just let them dry and the blood crumbles off with a little bit of hand brushing. They may have some staining but its alright with me.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
I dont do anything.  I throw them in a pile as is and look at them for memories of past hunts and kills.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
I'm a clean, rinse, spin, blow-dry, resharpen and out back in the quiver type of guy. Use til not usable.... The sooner you clean, the better but my method is the same. Warm water rinse, I personally don't soak as I use wraps and don't want any adhesive issues. I use Dawn or similar washing soap and work it into the feathers until clean. Rinse. I then spin in my hands real fast to shed the water. Then use blow-dryer, not too much direct heat, keep things moving while you open up the feathers. I tend to open them up and comb them down with my fingers as I go to retain the original shape. As someone said above, if you go extreme one way or the other, your fletches may get distorted... Take your time, you'll get the hang of it. I've even just sprayed them with general household cleaners and worked them with fingers and wiped with paper towel if the situation calls. The cleaner they are, the less sticking you'll have and your fletches will have better shape. All that said, they don't need to be perfect to be effective.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
After cleaning them, I usually steam the feathers over a pot of boiling water, then spin out the excess water by holding the shaft in my hands (between my thumb and forefinger just below the feathers with the point resting in the palm of my other hand) and blowing across the feathers.  Then I let them air dry.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
I had this problem last night. Pretty much did as PDK suggested, I like the idea of letting the drier air spin the shaft.
The feathers came out looking pretty good but appear kinda dry,
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
I dont re-use the arrows.  I will remove the shaft from the broadhead if it is whole still....but I leave the blood on it and figure that arrow has done its duty and met its worth ten-fold...it is retired.  I usually leave the arrow shafts there in the woods sticking in the ground upright where the animal last lay.

My bear I brought home the fletched end of the shaft but left the broadhead where it lay....

Everyone I am sure has their own reasons for leaving, re-using or otherwise determining the future of them.

Do what sounds and feels right to you....

Keep em sharp,

ron herman
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
I spray my fletching with a spray I get at WallyWorld. It has an orange top and is called Silicone Water Guard. It is in the camping section of my store and is used/recommended to water proof tents and sleeping bags, etc. It is the best water repellant for fletching that I have found in 60+ years of this. One of the benefits of using it is that on a pass thru the blood on the feathers, which is minimal when I remember to spray them, comes off very easily. The only drawback to the spray is that it smells and you must air out the arrows for a day and the smell is undetectable to my nose.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Lots of great information here but I sm surprised no one has offered the traditional "lick it clean" approach.  LOL.

All joking aside I appreciate the hints
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
I wash with mild, warm soapy water, air dry and steam the fletch back to shape and let that dry. Has worked well for many years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
I like bloody arrows in my quiver...looks badass.   :bigsmyl:

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
So how exactly do you do the steaming, and what position are the feathers beforehand?  Flattened?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I steam mine when the feathers are still wet from washing and rinsing.  Just boil some water and hold the fletched end horizontally over the pot in the steam and rotate the shaft. I usually steam for a minute or two.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
I use a tea kettle and direct the steam along the feathers until they come back together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©