3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Sun Has Set On Iowa Early Season - Time to Reflect on 2015 (Complete w/pics)  (Read 1959 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Well Tradgang, the Sun Has Set on Iowa's 2015 Early Archery Season and I believe it's time to reflect....     :campfire:  

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter

As I reflect on the early whitetail season & 2015 in general, I'm mindful that our "Freedom" is not Free. As I was walking my dog on September 23rd, 2015 enjoying a beautiful Sunrise ordained by God Himself, I looked back at the horizon... Our Nation's Flag was alive and I could not help but take a moment to reflect & pray.   :notworthy:  My ultimate Allegiance is to God the Father, through Faith in Jesus Christ, and with the Holy Spirit's empowerment. My most heartfelt appreciation, gratitude, and respect goes out to ALL who have served past & present, sacrificing everything that we might be Free & truly LIVE! This includes our Armed Forces, Law Enforcement, Medical Professionals, & Civilians that stand ready to Fight & Protect for God & Country! Well done...   :notworthy:

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
Amen brother! Well said.  This is something I try to impress upon my boys daily so they never forget the sacrifice of those that have come before them.  Let us all never forget!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a feeling there is more to come!     :archer2:
>>>--------->

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Reflect on...   :campfire:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you for checking in and tending the fire...  :campfire:  Indeed, there's more to come!    :archer2:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
It's been awhile since I've done a Season Update or Harvest Thread. However, rest assured I'm still toting my Black Widow 54" KB Dream Bow! She's 53lbs @28" Draw (I draw closer to 27.5"), and I'm using 29" Beman MFX Classic 400 Arrows, 50 Grain Brass Inserts, with VPA 250Grain 1-1/4" Cutting Diameter 3-Blade Broadheads. If you haven't seen it and you're interested in understanding more about my Dream Bow, here's the initial thread:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123089#000000

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
It seems like every year that goes by becomes a little more challenging to maintain or find places to hunt. Since 2012, I lost another property due to new ownership so I'm down to one very small private spot, my county park management hunt, and Iowa Public Wilderness areas. And as you might imagine, some of these areas are better than others... But no matter the setbacks, I've got Dreams and a Passion inside to press on towards the prize!   :notworthy:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm a little rusty on the story telling and posting of pictures so if you'll allow me a little latitude, I'll dip back into 2014 as it provides some perspective for 2015... I will attempt to be concise so as not to drag on too long..........   :campfire:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
To keep it brief, I'll focus on my 2014 County Park Management Hunt. I've been doing this hunt for many, many years and we have certainly reached the "maintenance" phase of management. I'm so thankful to have this hunt...   :bigsmyl:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
So entering the 2014 County Park Hunt, I was stoked to be toting my Bonus Anysex Permit and plans were to hold out as long as possible for an Iowa Giant  :goldtooth:  The one draw back to this hunt though is you have a special zone & limited time. Usually a week or two... Thankfully, I was afforded an additional early season zone & week to hunt due to a few open time slots. Time to get to work!

My scouting had led me to an active Pear Tree, so I setup my stand about 17 yards from the primary trail entering the Pear Tree apron... The focus of this spot will likely be a doe, but I'm ready should something with "Handles" make an appearance!   :archer2:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Now's as good a time as any to remind those at the    :campfire:  that one of my good friends and hunting partners is Ben "23feetupandhappy" here on Tradgang. So from here on out if I refer to "Ben", you'll know who I'm talking about...

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Now we're rolling!   :)
>>>--------->

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
2014 October 9th 1st Evening Hunt:

I remember distinctly corresponding with Ben via text during this hunt and it was sloooooowwww....... We entered the last 15 minutes or so of shooting light and then it happened. A beautiful deer stepped out and cautiously moved towards my 17 yard shooting window. I've been waiting for this moment     :help:   May my arrow fly true....    :pray:  

I pick my spot and focus with high intensity. This deer is mature & begins to edge forward. There's no way I dare audibly to stop it. I choose to stayed focused on my form, push-pull and then the loose........    :archer2:  

I see the arrow in flight, and with the forward motion of the deer the impact looks a little back, but should still connect with lungs, and at worst... Liver. The deer bolts back where it came from and I lose it in the brush. I listen intently. Maybe 30 Seconds to a minute later I hear a sharp rustling of leaves, then a pause and another shorter duration of rustling leaves, then ALL quiet.... I text Ben and say "It's not slow anymore" Darkness arises & uncertainty sets in. The rustling was very close but I could not place where it really was. It was on my left and my left ear is a little weak. It was close enough that I'm concerned if it's my deer, I'd bump it. So, I choose to slip out quietly with no flash light until I get to my arrow for inspection. So imagine my best impression of Elmer Fudd in the dark slipping ever so quietly along the trail to reach my arrow without spooking anything. I reach the fork closest to the rustling and make a 90 degree turn right where the deer originally walked & exited!!! I then turn my light on dim and find my arrow. Good color Blood, but not a real soaking...

I make my way to the truck where Ben & I discuss the situation. I'm churning on what to do. Ben is in the let's go check it out camp, I'm in the feet dragging mode of questioning if I'm back too far for such a quick death... It's plenty cold, and my conservative side tells me to hold-off.

The recovery will have to wait til tomorrow morning. Unfortunately that means I'll have to do it myself as my hunting partner will not be available....

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:     :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
I mean this literally as well, the Big Ten Football Championships are on!!! Iowa vs Michigan State and we are UNDEFEATED   :thumbsup:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
quote:
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
 :notworthy:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
That game was as good as it gets. U of M is always my #1, but Iowa is like my second home and #2 college team. Sorry to see their undefeated season come to and end but that was sure an exciting game to watch. Now back to your updates!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©