3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Sun Has Set On Iowa Early Season - Time to Reflect on 2015 (Complete w/pics)  (Read 1960 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Back to the story... So, the decision has been made to be conservative and do the recovery in the morning. I was confident the deer would expire, just not certain of the timing & distance of the trail. With coyotes in the area, this is always a tough decision to make so there was some anxiousness of what the recovery would look like...  :notworthy:  

If I wasn't so conservative being Elmer Fudd with my flashlight turned off as I exited the night before I would have found her & Ben could have been a part of it! Oh well, I made the best decision I could at the time. God Blessed my efforts and kept her nice & cold, plus no coyotes!!!!! She was perfect!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
She was absolutely huge! Take a look at these backstraps on an oversized cooler....    :saywhat:  

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
As a reminder, I'll keep 2014 about my County Park hunt to maintain the relevance to 2015's season...

It's October 10th 2014 and I have one beautiful doe in the freezer, I'm toting my Bonus Anysex permit AND I'm on my way to earning another chance at the privilege for a 2015 anysex bonus permit...

I'm stoked and hunting hard!!!  :campfire:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Great start to your season!  And sorry about the game last night - I was sure rooting for the Hawkeye's to pull that off off.  They have had a great season.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Great start to your season!  And sorry about the game last night - I was sure rooting for the Hawkeye's to pull that off off.  They have had a great season.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
So the rule in Iowa is if you don't shoot two does during the prior season you don't get Anysex?
Seems like a pretty harsh motivation tool.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
As I eluded to before, the County Park Hunt is no easy task... We're in the maintenance phase and pressure is high. I gave it my best effort and the "extra" early season Ben & I obtained came to a close... Now on to our selected "rut" season we drew to capitalize on the "Bonus Anysex Permit" in my pocket...

Ben did not have a Bonus Permit, so this means we'll be hunting together less due to him pursuing Wilderness Bucks, while I pursue the County Park. Can't blame him, Wilderness Bucks OR County Park Does...?    :archer2:   Don't forget, I'm also ready for does should the opportunity arise to earn a chance at next year's bonus permit...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Whip:
So the rule in Iowa is if you don't shoot two does during the prior season you don't get Anysex?
Seems like a pretty harsh motivation tool.
Whip, I know I'm gonna confuse some folks with my thread / update by tying in 2014 and a "County Park Hunt". I apologize in advance to all! If I were better about posting as it happens, this would probably be more clear...

To answer your question specifically. My update so far is about a special "County Park Management Zone" in Iowa. There are special rules to this hunt so it's primary purpose is population control. As a special incentive / opportunity they offer a limited number of "Anysex Bonus Tags" to be distributed to the participants. The conservation staff that administrates the hunt came up with the following policy. Any participant that shoots (2) or more does will be eligible for a Bonus Anysex permit drawing for the following year. If there are more hunters that shoot (2) does than there are DNR allotted bonus permits, we enter a drawing to see who gets them.

Our normal Iowa Statewide Rules DO NOT require that you shoot two does to earn an anysex tag.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the confusion.

It is rewarding and an opportunity to promote Traditional Archery to the Conservation Board and Compound Hunters that participate in this management hunt. Ben & I "Hold our Own" in the harvest on this special hunt. We're usually the only (2)Traditional Bowhunters in the group...   :archer2:  We need a Bowhunter Safety Certificate, Attend Orientation, & Pass a Shooting Proficiency Test to qualify...

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm sorry KAZ, I really wasn't asking a question.  Just made a poor attempt at humor with a play on words.    :dunno:  

Carry on with your story please!  I have Iowa points burning a hole in my pocket and am hoping to hunt there next year.  I'll be following closely!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
So, I'm hunting hard all over this zone. Lone Wolf Alpha & Sticks on my back for hang & hunts, Fixed Stands for Stealth and I cannot buy a mature buck sighting. Every where I go, I seem to uncover a new forkhorn, six point, etc... A 1-1/2 year old small 8pt was the highlight/largest. In addition, very few deer period so I'm not getting a chance for my second doe either. Time is ticking, and I'd love to pursue Wilderness Bucks as well! Tic..Toc.....

My season will close soon and I am reflecting on what's truly important. The pursuit, the journey is why I do this and I am blessed to have this County Park Hunt to enjoy my passion.... Though some have far more land access & resources, there indeed are some that have FAR LESS than I, and even some that have lost access physically through health issues... I am Blessed far more than I deserve. God is Good, All the Time God is Good. May we all keep our heads up, Happy for those who have more, be Thankful for what we have, and offer up All that we can for those who have less...  :notworthy:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Even though things are slow, we're never bored are we??? I'm focused and need to stay mentally tough/prepared...

As I recall the distance was approximately 22 yards, but who's counting when you shoot instinctive  :goldtooth:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
November 8th, 2014:

A beautiful Saturday Morning, with the whole weekend ahead of me... A RUT weekend no less! You know the feeling, a day where you're free with no tension of work schedule, the day is a gift yet to be opened...

We all know that this doesn't guarantee it will go the way we choose, but it is a gift none the less... Praise God for our very breath to continue on. May He be Glorified in and through it.   :notworthy:

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
:saywhat:

:goldtooth:   sounding good so far!
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm soaking up my beautiful surroundings and it is slooowww..... I'm gonna stay in the stand as long as I can because you never know when a Giant could make there way by... Stay alert!

It's late morning and finally I hear footsteps...   :archer:  

Now's a good time to mention that in the predawn shuffle, I'm missing my shooting glove so it's oh naturale... in the November woods!   :pray:  It's now or never, focus like there's no tomorrow on the opposite arm pit. The draw, the push-pull, the ungloved draw hand settles tight to the face, bow canted for the steep angle, keep pushing, then the loose.......   :archer2:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
quote:
Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:
 :saywhat:  

:campfire:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Praise God, the shot is absolutely perfect!!!! The buck takes off a break neck speed and I can see blood from the stand... I immediately decide to call my wife and ask if she'd like to enjoy the wonderful Saturday Morning with me on what should be an amazing blood trail & short recovery.

She's ALL IN and we decide our dog MUZZY has been waiting for this day his whole life!!!    :notworthy:  

My beautiful wife & little buddy... The "Tracking Team"

He needed a ride to ensure he didn't get too many burrs, nor too tired before the serious work began.....    :biglaugh:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
The blood trail is looking good thanks to those VPA 250Grain 1-1/4"Cutting Diameter 3 Bladers...!   :saywhat:

We had some straightline winds damage this area so this is a mine field of uprooted mature trees. He ran straight up this root ball and over these downed trees. My wife, with the Blue Bag is the destination. It was not graceful.............

Took a charge on the tree trunk...

Muzzy is enjoying the "Finish Line"....   :goldtooth:

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:  keep it coming.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©