3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Sun Has Set On Iowa Early Season - Time to Reflect on 2015 (Complete w/pics)  (Read 1962 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
My 2014 County Park Bonus Anysex Harvest! I did my best and God blessed my efforts.

Thank you Lord, it was a good day...   :notworthy:

Exit

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
A wonderful buck that provided great joy & reward!

"Always remember to measure every achievement or goal obtained in proportion to the effort involved"

I'm not sure if Mike Mitten authored this quote, but I think of him often... Thank you Mike for your example!

A very unique buck, though the pictures don't show it he is palmated with multiple sticker points on his bases. He landed with his head looking up and rack wedged between those tree trunks... Though he didn't really break his neck, it was "Break Neck Speed"...   :saywhat:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
To wrap up 2014, I moved on to Public Land Wilderness Bucks immediately following my County Park hunt. I tried hard during the tail end of the Rut but it was not meant to be. Mature buck sightings were few, but I enjoyed every minute of my time in God's creation doing what I love....

January 2015 arrives and I still have a desire to harvest a second doe if at all possible to earn the privilege of a chance at a 2015 Bonus Anysex Tag in the County Park... The weather is cold and snowy so some of the "Fair Weather Folks" have left the scene. I ask the Conservation Team if I can get back in the game and they say "Go for it, but it's been brutal and folks aren't having much success." Well, I'm not looking for easy... I'm looking to give it my best effort and enjoy whatever God has in store for me....    :archer:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Here is the scenario:

I'm in a stand that is bordering Private Land that has minimal to no pressure, and virtually all of the FOOD! Not ideal for me in late season... The weather is cold, the deer have been pressured on my side of the fence, and being stealthy is not easy. I hunt a few times and it's clear the deer are on a pattern that is skirting me on the private land about 80 yards away. Doesn't look good. They wait til near dark, then make a B-Line to the ag field single file...

January 10th, 2015 (Final Day of Iowa Late Season 2014/2015)

I'm all in and I will give it my best til the buzzer. Come what may, when the evening comes I will Bless the Lord, O my Soul & Worship His Holy Name   :saywhat:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh my... It's working!!! I cannot let up on the call though. When I stop they resume their plan to hit the Ag Field, so I keep it going til they're on my side of the fence! I now prepare myself for the shot, should it happen... They cross the creek and are now on my side! Unfortunately I'm a smoke stack breathing in this COLD WEATHER! Uggh... Oh well, keep breathing as that seems to be important.....  :goldtooth:  

Now they're nervous with the smoke stack in the tree and no "Doe in Estrus" to be found...   :goldtooth:   The second deer enters the window and it's the moment I prepare for...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Somewhere around 27 yards with mere minutes of legal time, I focus on what will close the season...

I pray that God will Guide my arrows for quick humane kills, I talk to Him about my sincere desire to make good ethical discerning choices, and that in my heart I'd much rather not have the shot opportunity at all than to wound an animal. That being said, nothing is for certain and all we can do is prepare, do our best, and dedicate ourselves to what happens next....

In full confidence, I draw with intense focus on the "pocket", shoulders limber and engaged, push-pull, anchor comes, then the loose........ I see a flicker of color ingrained in my mind that I "think" found the "pocket"... She darts 10 yards, stops....then tips over. INCREDIBLE!!! Praise God for a wonderful close to the 2014/2015 Season in a frigid snow covered landscape!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:

:campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you Tradgangers for the "Latitude" to share my 2014 preamble to the 2015 Season... It sets the table for the reflection to follow. I'm gonna let this settle a bit, I've got some other responsibilities to tend to.

I hope & pray the fellowship of the   :thumbsup:  ____  :archer2:

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Enjoying the story!!   :campfire:  

But...
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Whip:
So the rule in Iowa is if you don't shoot two does during the prior season you don't get Anysex?
Seems like a pretty harsh motivation tool.
... Whip's humor must be acknowledged!    :laughing:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Kaz, thanks so much for taking us along on your season!!!!

Your faith and thanksgiving are encouraging to us all! I hope you have continued success in the future and look forward to reading about your exploits!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Tsalt:

quote:
Originally posted by Whip:
So the rule in Iowa is if you don't shoot two does during the prior season you don't get Anysex?
Seems like a pretty harsh motivation tool.
... Whip's humor must be acknowledged!     :goldtooth:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Rodd, glad you enjoyed the beginning. There's more to come when I free up & grab the computer...  :campfire:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats on a great year! You truly are blessed.   Great story telling and am appreciation for what bowhunting is all about.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Whip!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
2015 Rolled in with a good start that opened opportunities for another year... It's no secret that private land access is a challenge to obtain without family or connections. Spring Turkey Season found me busy at work, with family, and public land as my only option. I really have a passion for Turkey Hunting and have been doing it for 34 years. I've harvested many birds over the years and it really doesn't matter if I'm the one who shoots them or if I'm able to help somebody harvest one... I just love the interaction with the gobblers and calling them in.

A window of opportunity opened up from a co-worker who said I could hunt his property along the river. He'd already harvested one in the early season and he said I could go for it 4th season... I was stoked and waited for my opportunity!  :saywhat:  I was stoked & revitalized   :goldtooth:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
This opportunity was a Huge Blessing and quite a pick-me-up emotionally that recharged my batteries to just be out in God's Creation on a beautiful piece of property and maybe, just maybe strike a conversation with a gobbler! Woohoo   :campfire:  

The evening before I had hatched a plan on a great location to place the blind. With a printout of the property maps to help guide me to my destination, I arrived in plenty of time to setup & get settled before the turkeys began their serenade...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
As light came upon my surroundings, I listened intently for the woods to come alive from inside the blind. My setup looked perfect. A DSD Jake in a breeding set with a hen, and one additional hen decoy ready for action...

The woods were really quiet around me with only a few distant gobbles... Time to start a conversation with the "locals"....   :wavey:  I went to work with the mouth calls and it wasn't long and I had a jake coming my way. With one day left in the season, I was not about to question the gift God was offering   :notworthy:  The jake made his way into my spread and I was ready! I focused on my spot intently, shoulders limber, push-pull, reaching anchor, then the loose.......   :pray:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
I give it a few minutes before I decide to slip out and look for my arrow, assess the site for blood and potential prognosis.... I find the arrow and blood at the impact site. I then decided to settle back into the blind and give him 30-45 minutes or so before I begin my search.

The arrow:

So after the waiting period I headed out to find my prize. I followed the flight path the bird took which thankfully was an open planted field, but it was bordering a nasty thicket, brushy draw, and creek basin. I had made it to where I lost sight of him from the blind and just turned the bend...

My prize!   :notworthy:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Here's a few pictures to document the moment, Enjoy!

A view from where the Jake was when I shot him. 14-15 yards...

Another angle of the setup...

A Close Up...

A pic to prove it was me...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©