3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheepeater Spirit Redux  (Read 315 times)

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
Sheepeater Spirit Redux
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I bought this bow awhile back when Brent Rudolph was making them in Montana. While it was undoubtedly the most fun bow to shoot I had ever picked up, I never committed to mastering it.  Tough little bugger to shoot well...less than 50" strung, something like 11 ounces total weight on my postal scale and 53# @ 26".  Brent built them with a little floppy rest above the tiny rattan grip, but I found I got excellent flight after I cut it off and shot off my hand.  Since the dogs are running here in VA, and the best hunting now is back in the thick stuff, I decided to dust it off, tune it up and give it a go again.  Long story short, it tuned up great with my regular cedars and 175 gr up front, so the wicked Ace Super Express 175 gets the nod.  Don't know if it is my recent switch to a tab last year or what, but I'm shooting it lights out.  Freakishly quiet for a recurve, or any bow for that matter.  One neat thing I found is that little grip is conducive for shooting well with gloves on; always seemed to have a bit of trouble/point of impact change with my main bow when gloved up.  Gonna carry her til season's end...wish us luck.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheepeater Spirit Redux
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I always thought those original little bows were cool!! Best of luck to you!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
I always wanted a sheep eater. Very cool bow.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Great looking bow!  Hope she fills the freezer.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Don't have a rattan, but I agree, the short little Sheepeaters have the shootability of the Kodiak Magnums. Have at it, and have fun!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
mine is a THUMPER for such a small bow. it is a little finicky, but i shoot mine really well.

mine does not have the rattan grip.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I'm sure I helped build that bow with Brent.  I did all the finishing while he was up here.  Great, fast, little bows.  Also, you can shoot them left or right handed.  Rattan is a very durable grip....I use it on all my personal selfbows.  Not too many of those bows around...enjoy it!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©