3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How good is schafer silvertip perfomance ?  (Read 6335 times)

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
How good is schafer silvertip perfomance ?
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Hello guys and  gals..
Been eyeballing thoese gourgeus Schafers for a long time now...
I am looking for info on the performance speedwise of the silvertip recurve and prefferebly compared to a Widow recurve or other wellknown brands.
The very best would be from actual chronografic tests Apples to Apples with other Bows.
Would also be interested on how well the silvertip fares in the durabillity department in general and when using fastflight with risers in exotics only.
Thanks in advance, Jacob

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: How good is schafer silvertip perfomance ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Performance wise they are excellent and do not lose a lot of performance with a heavy arrow.  Unless you are obsessed with FPS differences the eye cannot detect then I think you will be thrilled.  Build quality is among the best available.  They are a tried and true brand and Dave has been at it a long time.  A Schafer is always a good decision.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
I have/have had a lot of customs over the years. My Schafer's are my "feel good" bows.
I don't really care much for chrono tests anymore, so I unfortunately cant help you there. Most high end customs are close enough for my hunting. I haven't shot an arrow through a chrono in 8 years.
I have both exotic and dymondwood risers, all fast flight performers.
I CAN help you in the durability department though. All my Tips have been tested by my brutal abuse in the field. I am terrible. I drop, smash, fall on, run over, etc. the best of my equipment.
I dropped a Windauer Tip 30 feet from a tree when the wind blew one time in New York. It landed on the bottom limb tip, and I expected a blown up bow when I climbed down.
It had unstrung, but was incredibly unharmed. The limbs did not twist. Lucky? Maybe...but I have blown knocks and basically dry fired several times with no damage. The risers are heavy and bomb proof, which I love. My son partially shut the truck door on my lower limb of my old Paul Schafer made Tip years ago, and aside from a couple of scratches, no damage.
I got stuck in Newfoundland once in heavy fog and rain, my Schafer was totally soaked for two days, freezing at night, and getting rained on all day the next day. No issues arose.
I shoot very heavy arrows from my current favorite at only 54# draw, and it does shoot very well indeed.
I have never been a Widow fan, although Ive owned a couple. Not a performance issue though, they are great bows. I just have something for Tips.
That's what it is all about, when you find that bow that just makes you feel confident, you are all set.
We have so many talented bowyers now, the tough part is getting to shoot them all to compare.
David M. Conroy

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
I couldn't tell you any chrono numbers either but they throw a heavy arrow with authority. I think you will find that they are right in there with most custom bows speed wise.  As Yornoc said they have strong, stable limbs and risers as well.  It's hard to go wrong with one.  I have two so far that I will never part with.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
It's sort of like Lays potato chips , " you can't have just one"
I have 3. My Silvertip recurve is as equally fast as my previous Widow recurves . As far as durability goes, I never had an issue
Fantastic bows, fantastic people
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
I've beat the heck out mine for 10 years and it still rock solid. I've had several customs and the Silvertip is the best I've owned.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
Best grip you will ever find. I wanted one for a long time.......got one and I shot it well.....But it was just not for me in the long run. The good thing is if you don't like it, you can sell it and not get to beat up in the process.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
I just got my first new/used 'Tip 2 weeks ago.  They are everything that everyone says they are PLUS... shot side by side my other bows they are super quiet.  Other bows are Widows and Thundersticks.  
I have already busted the nock ends off 2 arrows.  The grip is perfect....so perfect in fact that I have a 1 piece headed my way as we speak
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Dave and Beth are the best! I have two, identical. 60 and 55# at my draw. Off the shelf bows. Can't really say anything more than anyone has already said? They are great bows, great craftsmanship, and just excellent folks to deal with.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
I have  an abundance of silvertips over the years and currently have four.  They are by far my go to bows.
I have never had a problem with one of Daves bows. As far as speed they are as good as most high end recurves and better than most.

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
64" Schafer Silvertip recurve - 54# @ 30" (drawn to 31 1/2") - shooting off a Bear weatherest, split finger, (534gr total) Beman ICS 400, 100gr brass insert, 145gr field point, three 5" feathers.....B-50 with catwhiskers - 183fps.....578gr arrow 175fps

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
My friend has one and it is a very quick bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
I have two Schafers and now a TallTines.  My 60" Schafer and TallTines are both 51#@28".  I draw right around 29" so maybe 54 lbs at my draw.  I just shot them both the other day with a 400 spine Axis shaft that weighs about 525 gr.  They both shot right around 176 fps.  I shoot split fingered and the TallTines was off the shelf, Silvertip off an elevated rest.  I have shot that particular Silvertip up to about 185 fps in the summer with less clothes on and being able to stretch out more.  It probably averages right around 180 fps with that arrow.  I have a 62" Silvertip that is 55@29" and has shot that exact same arrow at the same speeds; up to 185 on a good day about 180 fps on a longer average.  I have no doubt that on a nice day with less clothes on, the TallTines will shoot that fast too.  I can tell you having played with the chrono quite a bit, your form has a lot to do with what reading you'll get.  If you short draw a bit it will definitely show up....as does a poor release.  Your form will have probably as much or more effect than the bowyer who built the bow!!! I can tell you what I get with mine, but someone else may get something different.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Very well made and designed hunting now. Super smooth and stable. Performance as far as FPS they are probably in the 180's depending on draw length and arrow weight. Most bows will be within a few FPS regardless of make

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by BlackDog:
64" Schafer Silvertip recurve - 54# @ 30" (drawn to 31 1/2") - shooting off a Bear weatherest, split finger, (534gr total) Beman ICS 400, 100gr brass insert, 145gr field point, three 5" feathers.....B-50 with catwhiskers - 183fps.....578gr arrow 175fps
What was the draw weight at 31.5"? Just curious....

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
My favorite recurves!! Can't go wrong with a Tip!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Hard to beat a Tip.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
I have owned many black widows and killed lots of big game animals with them I have only owned 1 tip, but I sold it not long after I got it. It was not a fast flight tip and it was not as fast as my BW's. I loved the tips look and grip and dealing with Dave and Beth. I never got over selling my tip and so now, I am days away from getting another new tip. This time it is a fast flight string and I'm getting the double carbon limbs. I am quite certain it will be a screamer and this time, it will not be sold. I believe the tip is a smoother drawing bow than the BW's I owned.
bryce olson

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
Make sure to give us a review on the double carbon. I have both dacron and fast flight. The fast flight is definitely my favorite.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
I will, I have high expectations of it!
bryce olson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©