3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It's time - Hog Hunting East Tx- ( pics and updates pg 8 )  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: It's time - Hog Hunting East Tx- ( pics and updates pg 8 )
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Quick scouting report, I met up with Pat and Dave ( I hope thats right , I'm terrible with names) this evening and we hatched a plan. Less than a half a mile in that plan changed when we jumped 2 hogs right on the side of the trail we was on. Got a good look but no shots taken. So we took a different approach and both Pat and Dave got close in on a sow with about 10 little ones. I'll let them tell that story later. So 3 hogs in less than 3 hours on their first evening!  Not bad!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »
I'll have to program for next year, about the same time???  
  :campfire:    :coffee:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Nice!!  Getting excited
justin ammons

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
I'm gonna try to do this around the same time every year!
Got back a little bit ago from hunting with Pat and Dave. We took the boat a mile or so up river. Then got out and hunted. Gotta apologize to Pat for running him into a tree going up river. And to Dave for running him into the same tree coming back down river!   :biglaugh:  
Anyhow, we found tons and tons of sign! Trails every which way and fresh sign (it rained really hard last night). But no hogs were seen. Just gotta keep at em!
I do wanna say that I really enjoyed hunting with Pat again and meeting and hunting with Dave. Both these guys are great guys and hard hunters and I have no doubt if they had a little more time they would both got a hog or two! Hopefully they can come back soon! As for the rest of you guys coming next week, we've got a good idea where the hogs will be!!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
Looking forward to being there

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
Thanks for showing us around your hunting grounds, Randy.  It was great hunting with you again, and Dave enjoyed meeting you.  It almost happened that first day.  It almost happened that first day, and there was a tin of sign in that area.  It looks like it will do nothing but get better as the water level comes back down to normal.  I wish I could make it down for the hunt, but work is getting in the way of fy fun.

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
Looks like I'm out for this one. I just have too many irons in the fire right now to get away for this one. Y'all have a good hunt, and lay the hogs down!

Bisch

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Dagnabit Bisch! Better start planing for next year!

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
I'm planning on cruising in the morning of the 21st.
justin ammons

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Guys, Randy knows his stuff.  It sure was great meeting you Randy. I'm thinking the hogs might be in trouble if the weather and wind cooperate.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Thx Dave, the pleasure was all mine! Looking forward to meeting up with you again soon!
Next week can't get here fast enough!!

Offline CDK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
:campfire:
Giddy Up !

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
Well, It never fails! Bad weather plagued us last year and it looks like this year will be the same! It looks like the first of the week will be nasty for those coming in early and looks like it's gonna be nasty later in the week as well. Mid week might not be that bad. Be ready to deal with the rain. Waterproof boots are a must and rain gear would be a good idea.

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
We'll make the best of it!  :campfire:     :archer:    :archer2:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2016, 01:21:00 AM »
The hunt has begun!

I have some work obligations that are keeping me from spending the entire week, but I managed to drive over and hang out with Jon and Marty for a couple hours tonight, then headed back home. I arrived at camp shortly after Jon got off the road from his nearly 10 hr trip driving through rain the majority of the time. Marty flew from Alaska to Seattle to DFW, drove his rental to Randy's, set up camp and managed to get after the pigs already. He walked into camp just before dark and fired up the grill.

For those of you who have never had Sitka blacktail brats, let me tell you that they are delicious. Thanks Marty!

The guys were beat and wanted to hit the sack so I left camp around 9. The rain started again about 15 minutes into my trip home and the storm was headed their way. I just checked the radar and they are getting pounded. Hopefully they'll get some breaks in the morning and be able to get some hunting in.

I'll be back Tues afternoon and hunt through Wed before another work interruption then back to the woods Thu night. I'm sure Randy will give us an update or two in between. I know he helped Marty set up camp today but was gone before I got there.

As of now, the weather looks like it is going to cooperate from mid-week through Sunday - a MUCH better forecast than just two days ago. Even though it'll be a little wet for the first few days, I saw a lot of dry land that was under water for months last year. Can't wait to get back over!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hackbow:
Fred, Daniel & Todd.....this is unacceptable!

If one were to dig a little deeper into motives, it may reasonably appear that there is a conspiratorial bias being exhibited from the Louisiana boys against Texas and/or Texans. If we were to put this into college football lingo, you guys are not honoring our home & home contract. There will be repercussions!

Randy, as our leader I request that you impose some sort of adequate sanction on these miscreants. Something along the lines of having to eat store-bought gumbo or a veggie burger in front of everyone at our next gathering - that should deter this type of behavior in the future!
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  I deserve that!! Truth is I need to be retired and have a pocketful of cash and then all this missing one thing to go to another would be history and I could do it all!! Really glad to hear you guys got into the pigs already. Hope to hear some great stories and hopefully everyone gets some pork!!!

I will absorb the repercussions as admirably as possible BUT I AIN'T EATING NO STORE BOUGHT GUMBO!      :nono:    :nono:    :nono:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
No critters have fallen to our devices as of yet! Marty had a real close call on a big boar yesterday evening and I spotted 6-8 crossing the power line we walked to access another area but never found them after that. The river is on the rise and making things difficult. The hogs seam to have changed their habits and we havnt quite figured that out yet. More rain last night and this morning and the wma headquarters are predicting a road closure so we may have to pack up and move camp tomorrow. If we do we will be moving to Tyler state park just down the rd. We will still have access to the wma butt it will drastically reduce our options. The out come is looking bleak but we're gonna take it on the chin and keep our heads up! Just want to let those that havnt cancelled know how things are looking. Will update as soon as we can. Signal is limited at best

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
Hope the weather breaks....it's unbelievably wet here where I live a couple hours away, and still raining. Good luck!!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Seeing lots of fresh sign this morning after the rain let up. I got to within about 40 yrds of a single hog that was bedded next to the power line. I didn't see it until it jumped and moved. I circled down wind and moved in on him. I got to about 30 yrds and he was in some thick cattails in a low area holding water. He kept moving out ahead of me but I couldn't close the distance. Just couldn't move fast enough without making a lot of noise. Everytime I got within 30+ yrds he would move farther away and eventually I lost him. Jon and Kevin are hunting my feeders tonight. I ran home to do a few chores and to take a quick shower!    :biglaugh:
On a good note the dept headquarters said the water levels may not reach as high as originally predicted. So way may not have to move camp after all! But won't know for sure till tomorrow sometime.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©