3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Addiction  (Read 643 times)

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Addiction
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
Went to Colorado this past season and vow now to never miss a year again! Already booked some access to a private ranch near Oak Creek, Colorado next September! Gonna spend 5 days on the ranch and 3 on BLM land near Meeker. Thinking of driving out so I can take all that I need..and probably a bunch that I won't  :)  Anyone else make that drive from the east coast? How painful was it?

The ranch has room for one more if anyone is interested...just PM me for details.
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Addiction
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
I'll talk to you more about it, but it was  roughly 30 hours to Silt.  Three of us did it straight through.  Next time I'd take the extra time to rest if I could.  

Kansas was a killer.  Never seen so many shades of brown.  Not much to look at except wide open country.

Still wouldn't trade the experience.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Driven it several times.  Past FT Riley KS is rough.  Best to drive it at night.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
When I went out to Durango it took 27hours to get to where we hunted. On the way out we drove about 14hours then stopped over for the night. It took a day more to get there but I think it was worth it. I have to agree with kbetts Kansas was the longest part it seemed. Wasn't bad the first few hours hadn't ever seen it but after that wasn't sure we would get across it
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
We drove 22 hours this year. Seemed like Kansas took 21 of that.    :biglaugh:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:56:00 PM »
Miles and miles of miles and miles.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:07:00 AM »
26 hours (give or take) from here to meeker this year. Hated the drive, but loved the trip. Planning to go back next year myself.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »
24 hrs from here, have driven it 19 times, the drive across nebraska is best in the dark. Im sure there is some nice country in nebraska but it aint along I-80.   :)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
About 30 hours for me. I've driven it by myself once. Retired, so I usually take my time. Threw a mattress in my van and slept as needed.

Going out is no problem due to anticipation, but returning is a bummer due to exhaustion!

Worth it all.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
Sounds like flying is the way to go  :)  My only concern is the beat up ranch roads require a 4 wheel drive rig (and not a SUV style) and I can't seem to get a hold of one at the local rental companies! Hard to believe...its snow country!!!
- Anonymous

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
Same advise as others. It was 22 hour drive for us straight through and we are a lot closer than you are. You better have a couple other drivers. At that distance I would recommend flying or at the least make a two day trip of the drive.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I don't drive quite as far, but it is still most of an entire day to get to the spot I end up.  I hate the drive, but I love being there.  I just wish fewer folks knew of my little patch of mountains.
ChuckC

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I've done it several times and vowed never again! This past September my son and I flew to Denver then rented a car and drive to a ranch in New Castle. What a pleasure!!!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
You wouldn't have made it up the mountain in an SUV where we were either....needed a real 4x4 with clearance.

One in our group flew out.  His rental was a Chevy Spark....not even a full Volt, lol.  He could sit in the drivers seat and adjust the passenger mirror.  We left it in a hotel parking lot for the week and laughed more than once about trying to get it up the hill.  Ah, good times.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
We flew this year and it was awesome. Guide picked us up in Hayden and saved us the car rental deal. Wish I could afford that luxery to go with my addiction  :)
- Anonymous

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I think I'm going to quit complaining about my 3 hour drive after reading your posts.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Yep, drove from SC two years in a row now. 27 hours straight. It's a pain, especially the return trip. Really thinking about flying next year. I know I can get my gear out there, problem is bringing an animal back. Guess I'd just rent a car one way.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
I shipped the meat and horns back this year for 2 elk...wasn't cheap but worth every penny! Elk meat is awesome!
- Anonymous

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
We try to make the trip part of the fun. We aren't as far as the east coast but we do have to go south 4+ hours before we go west. A week long elk hunt takes two weeks. We drive to Kearney or Sidney NE the long first day. We are in Pinedale,WY for supper the next. It's worth it. That's for sure.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Might talk with Enterprise about the possibility of reserving a 4x4 truck at the location. The rent a lot of trucks.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©