3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help removing inserts  (Read 453 times)

Offline Kenny New

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help removing inserts
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
I shoot GT Traditional 55/75 arrows. I epoxied the inserts with 5 minute epoxy. How can I remove them to add 50 gr weights. I installed a field tip on one arrow and tried heating it enough to break the glue bond. It worked but it appears to have warped the shaft so it doesn't spin correctly now. Any tips or suggestions that work are appreciated.

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help removing inserts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
You could try putting a drill bit inside the shaft from the nock end, and swinging it toward the insert to bust it loose. Try this a few times and don't be scared to give it heck. I have been able to remove my inserts that were glue in this way. I have not tried it with the 5 min stuff though. Could be a little harder.

Good luck.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Last resort, screw in a broadhead adapter, steel is better than aluminum for this.  Then apply heat to the adapter till it softens the glue.  Then screw / pull the whole thing out. Edited...ooops, guess I better read the whole post first.
ChuckC

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
I always heated the tips and let the heat transfer down never put the flame directly on the shaft.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
 You could try putting a drill bit inside the shaft from the nock end, and swinging it toward the insert to bust it loose.  
Dang, that must be a long drill bit [/b]     :D    

The field tip that you tried is about all you can do.  If that doesn't work you are pretty much screwed   :wavey:      :)   ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Van,

You are not using the drill bit to drill. Just put the bit or anything similar in size inside the shaft from the nock end. The heavier the better. Put the nock back on the shaft. Then hold the shaft from the nock end and raise it toward the sky. Swing the shaft fast toward the floor, throwing the bit into the insert. After a few times, most inserts are busted loose and a few more swings can work the insert all the way out.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I like the heat method However there have been times when the carbon has begun to Unwind... be careful

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Why not just use the Gold Tip weights that install from the nock end? They use a full length allen wrench and can be threaded in one after the other to get the added weight you need.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
Van,

You are not using the drill bit to drill. Just put the bit or anything similar in size inside the shaft from the nock end. The heavier the better. Put the nock back on the shaft. Then hold the shaft from the nock end and raise it toward the sky. Swing the shaft fast toward the floor, throwing the bit into the insert. After a few times, most inserts are busted loose and a few more swings can work the insert all the way out.  
Gotcha!!  And that's a good tip.  I'll try it  :wavey:    :thumbsup:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline defiant 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
i also shoot gt 55-75's,if all you want to do is add weight,gold tip makes brass weights that screw into the back of the insert.they com in 10,20,50&100 gr.you can also screw the weights into each other(i have 200 gr up front).maby this will save you time.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I have made a tip that fits into a soldering iron that has 8/32 threads on it, screw the arrow on and turn on the soldering iron. Pull on it when it is heating so as soon as the glue lets go it comes apart. Make sure to use a pliers to remove the tip from the soldering iron.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
I read somewhere they make a tool to screw weights in to the insert from the nock end
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Kenny New

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I thought about the long tool from Black Widow but I need to get the weights in now and not have to wait several more days for one to be shipped to me.

Defiant1
Those are the weights I am trying to install. I just discovered that I need to add the extra weight after I had already glued the inserts in a long time ago. I kept getting arrows to the left and added a heavier point and the left shots went away. The broadhead I want to use is 125 gr Muzzy and I need the extra 50 grs on the insert.

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Kenny,
Here's the easiest, fastest way to do it. Get an allyn wrench that fits your weights. Cut the angled part off and epoxy it in a long brass tube which is available at any hardware store. Takes about 10 minutes and you have the tool. You can then mount the weight on the allyn wrench and slide it from the nock end and screw it in to the insert without removing it and without waiting. If you're near Lynchburg, I've got one I'll give you. Just pm me.
Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I have the long allen wrench tool that I add and take out weight on CX arrows with gold tip adapters and weights.  Works great and can also tighten them if they get loose.  Easy to do it this way than mess with heating the inserts.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Kenny New

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
RidinMyK2PastU

I tried the drill bit trick, and it worked like a charm. It did take quite a few swings on a couple of the inserts but it eventually did the job.
Thanks for the tip.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
The drill works best if it is small enough to allow the air to easily pass by it.
 Also remove the points to let air out helps.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©