3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: needing direction please  (Read 689 times)

Offline Djwallace

• Trad Bowhunter
needing direction please
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
First of all, HI :-)
I have been on here for a few weeks and slowly read just about everything....
A couple of months ago at a SCA event I brought a cheap recurve and some arrows from a vendors tent and went to the archery range. I had a load of fun doing something that i had not done for 25 years and decided that this was something I wanted to get into again. Boy its changed.... I'm not ever sure a compound bow existed back then.
I quickly realized that i brought totally the wrong thing and have been reading and listening to as much as possible. I thought i had decided on a new bow but then read lots of posts regarding ILF limbs and people were suggesting that purchasing a bow not suited to ILF as shortsighted as one would be restricted to limbs from that manufacturer in the future. Horror went through me and another week researching bows that would take ILF limbs.....

but then I thought to myself. Exactly how many limbs do I want? whats the issue here. So many traditional bows are not even take down so if I want to change or upgrade do I just end up with several limbs for one riser or even several complete bows. just like my gun cabinet ended up?

So is this issue with ILF just a big red herring? at the end of the day i just appreciate works of art which just happen to be bows so why should i be bothered if it has ILF limbs or not?

opinions please..

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: needing direction please
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
ILF bows are just one type of bow.  Sure they have the advantage that you can mix and match limbs from different manufacturers, but that doesn't necessarily make them better.

The best bow for you is the bow you like to shoot the most.  That may be some combination of ILF limbs and riser, or it may be something totally different.  Choosing a bow that is not ILF compatible is not short sighted at all.  Just a matter of preference.

The best thing you can do is to go to a shop or a big shoot that has a wide variety of bows and try different ones out.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
If you are in northern Virginia I could spend a day shooting and trying out bows with you.

There are inexpensive three piece bows that will allow you to increase strength with replacement limbs, or you can buy what feels comfortable in a used bow, then sell it and buy another bow that you like better. I have bows from 25 to 55 pound pulls, recurve and longbow.

As always, I recommend going to archery shoots that take place in the warmer months, as there will be lots of bows, and vendors, and folks eager for you to try their treasures for free. Live and learn!

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
now if i were you Buddy i would go see killdeer. how are you killieDeer   :wavey:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Positively postal, Jeffbro!
   :banghead:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Just get what trips your trigger, and let the next guy shoot the ones that don't!

Bisch

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
. . . that purchasing a bow not suited to ILF as shortsighted as one would be restricted to limbs from that manufacturer in the future.  
I get around that by buying $60 to $150 bows at sales or from consignment that are 90% as efficient as the modern ILF bows (maybe more).  

We have not yet determined that fiberglass laminated bows have a limit to their lives.  Some fail, but it could be how they were stored or abused.

Some of the bows from the 1960's hold their own shooting beside the newest and best.  And some of the woods are not available and cannot be duplicated.

So, what does a new set of limbs cost for an ILF?   $100 to $400?  You can get a VERY nice used bow for $400.  The one I'm hunting with this year (quickly became one of my favorites) I paid $95 for two years ago.  

Besides, take-down bows are ugly.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
This, of course, is just my own opinion and preference, but I like the idea of an all wood bow. To me they are a work of art and most ILF bows seem more like a contraption.

I would probably feel different if I shot a few though. Like Droopy in the old cartoon, I'm happy!

To each his own. Try what you want and settle on what you like the best.

Good luck.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
You can just get a really nice new bow for 400. Or a couple used for that.  I don't know much about them but I like one piece bows.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Take up Killdeer's offer to shoot bows. She is very knowledgeable. I don't know her personally, but have known her for many years through Trad Gang. This lady makes sense.

Whoever you shoot with, try a variety of bows before putting big money into a purchase. There are lots really good bows out there that will do the job quite well. I, myself, am a Hill style longbow shooter, but I have spent time with various style bows. I suggest you do the same, so you can be confident that you pick what pleases you best. One word of caution, though. Few, very few, of us who have been shooting for very long have been satisfied to have only one bow. You may wind up collecting a stable full.
Sam

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
To hear some folks talk, you'd think that soon there will only be bows that are ILF. I've owned more bows than I care to count, none of which were ILF. I've got one takedown bow now with two sets of limbs, but one set hasn't been on the bow in years...not even sure I can find the string for that set.

I just don't see the big deal about being able to have multiple sets of limbs. I'm a bow hunter. I practice with the bow and arrows with which I will hunt. There may be some merit to having a light set of limbs for form work, but I often wonder if that form will stay the same with a hunting weight bow anyway. I work on form with my hunting bows. It works for me, but as they say, your mileage may vary.

I still wouldn't worry about all the ILF hype. Find a bow that fits you and fling arrows!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Positively postal, Jeffbro!
     :banghead:  
Now that is a scary thought right there....

Good to see you posting again Kat... Your way with words has always been appreciated by this old bowyer.    :)

I would definitely take killdeer up on that offer. The whole ILF thing is great for folks who love to tinker with different set ups, but they can be absolutely frustrating for beginners.

Offline Djwallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
Thanks for al the comments folks. That sort of confirms to me what's I was thinking and have decided that I'm reading to much on the Internet!
Going to go fror a one piece wood bow just. A question is which one. Great Plains, Toelke, etc

Offline Djwallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 04:24:00 AM »
Killdeer
Thanks for you offer, I'm in the farthest reaches of SW Virginia so quite a way away

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 05:01:00 AM »
There is also the joy of the hunt to consider.

Buying older bows is like searching for a four leafed clover. You feel lucky to have found a good one, and then you search for the next.

Hello.

My name is Bud.

I'm a bow-oholic. I'm nearing 50 now....
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Hi my name is Mark I'm a bow-oholic,although I roll,I mean I make my own.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
I would start simple and learn the basics of tuning before going ILF. I have just recently been turned on to a couple ILF rigs and I love them. The beauty in them is if you'll take the time to experiment and tinker, you can make them shoot exactly the way you want.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
I love my three ILF rigs. One is for rabbit hunting, one is for indoor shooting and it's a warf, and one if for 3-D shooting. But my deer hunting bow is a Wes Wallace take down. Archery is a big tent so enjoy it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
I would pay to shoot with Killdeer.
Glad to see you are back Kat.
 Take her up on it bud!
David M. Conroy

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Great to hear from you, Kathryn...thought you might have fallen into the 'Return to Sender' bin at the PO or something, lol!  I've switched to ILF's and love them, but I wouldn't consider them to be a great choice to start out on.  IMHO, you really don't need all that adjustability until you've got the form thing down enough to objectively assess whether you gain anything from it.  Probably not a great analogy, but I'd compare it to a new wing shooter starting out with a .28 gauge...it's a weapon more suited to the experienced. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©